Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about purchasing an adjustable stem for my bike since I currently do not enjoy the position of my handle bars, but I am wondering if they can hold up under serious stress when biking on some rough off road single tracks.

Does anyone have experience with them? I'm currently looking at the Nashbar Adjustable Threadless Stem but open to other suggestions.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Good question. I've always wondered this, too. I see a lot of these stems on old peoples' commuter bikes, so I doubt they get stressed much in that application, but I wonder how easily they'd break while bombing a rock garden.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I think fotu is working on the AM version;)

On the serious note, I think adj stems are more for commuters not really for MTB, I've seen a few on a hardtail but mostly fireroad riding. I would not trust the Nashbar type enough on some descends. There's a lot of load on the bar, lots of vibrations IDK.

I have the adjustable stems on my Duc32 fork but it's a entirely different kind of stem.

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
I wouldn't trust 'em either personally for the type of trail riding I do. No idea if my doubt would be unfounded or not however.

I'm a relatively big guy though, might be workable for a lighter rider on smooth trails... :confused:

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Adjustable stems are seen mainly in comfort bikes, commuter bikes and such. Maybe ok for VERY light trail/fire road type riding but I wouldn't trust them for a minute for any serious mountain biking duties.

·
Registered
555 Posts
An adjustable stem is a good thing to help you find the correct size. They can be bought for around 20.00. After you find the correct position, replace it with a regular stem of the correct size.

Your LBS may even let you borrow an adjustable stem to determine what size is right for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.