Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2223 Posts

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a database of the adjustable seatposts on the market. Please write your post's weight, adjustment travel, strong and weak points, and a photo.

Joplin L, 461grams, 3"
Strong Points: Available in a lever version cuz I don't want a remote and cable clutter. Easy to operate lever and the post functions well.
Weak Points: Needs to drop 100grams. I wish it had 4" of travel and a non-setback clamp.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Here is a rudimentary spreadsheet I made. I focused on getting them all in there, and seeing if they fit my trailbike (hence the 27.2mm column).

If you are so inclined to update/revise any discrepancies you see, feel free to change it up! Go to this link then email me and I will re-publish a snapshot of the page here. You can email me thru the site.

EDIT: Added Sette SP
EDIT: Changed pricing on GD, but I would suggest contacting Red Barn if you want a deal (on anything).

Attachments

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Why are these damn things so expensive? I saw a Sette knockoff on Pricepoint for like 30 bucks. I'm sure you get what you pay for but daaaaaaamn it's hard to drop 300 bucks on a friggin seatpost.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
CZ--not all gravity droppers have 3 detents, base model is just 2; drop is customizeable too (for example I have one with a 1" or 3" total drop)...and why not just put the list of $275 in the price for the GD? Or does Chad at Red Barn have the killer deal? Nice spreadsheet, though!

·
all your base
352 Posts
I've had the sette monstrosity for about 6 months. I love dropping my seat but i couldn't risk $200+ so i gave this thing a shot and my thompson has seen a serious drop in PT. Yes its heavy, yes it's got play, yes i had to practicly dip it in fox suspension lube to get it smooth, yes it probably doesn't get full compression but it serves the purpose ridiculously well for $30. My riding buddy had to get one too after riding mine and agrees completely. I thought i would put my lighter post back on to race but i even left it on for an 8 hour oktoberfest race. There is a technique to smoothly lowering the seat, you really have to think about moving your hips toward your bars while pressing down to reduce binding. I use the thing without thinking now, dropping it for any descent/drop/stair set/rockgarden/jump etc and it quickly and easily pops back to full height. It does prevent completely slamming the seat all the way to the collar when i want all the room i can get, this is when the thompson goes back on. I would def buy it again, there's just no reason not to get one.
Cutting off the nasty red plastic on the handle makes it look slightly less silly as well.

Did i mention that it's infinitely adjustable?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
CZ--not all gravity droppers have 3 detents, base model is just 2; drop is customizeable too (for example I have one with a 1" or 3" total drop)...and why not just put the list of $275 in the price for the GD? Or does Chad at Red Barn have the killer deal? Nice spreadsheet, though!
Updating spreadsheet to reflect pricing.

I would suggest calling Chad for about any part. Yes, I have heard good things about his GD pricing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
windhoar said:
Spread sheet indicates Joplin comes in 27.2. Is that accurate?
it's on the net for a while - google will help and provide pics - but i think it's not officially anounced yet, even though some shops already have it in stock (but i don't know what happens if you actually hit the "order" button) - seems like the clamping has been revised and the travel is now 4" - sounds kewl, i'd go for the black mamba instead, just because of the name ;)

sample

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
windhoar said:
Spread sheet indicates Joplin comes in 27.2. Is that accurate?
It was "pending" when I made the xls.
Yeah, they announced it the same day that Turner announced the change to a larger diameter seat tube. Funny that they weren't in communication on this, as I think there are very few remaining mfgs adhering to such a skinny standard.

el saltamontes said:
it's on the net for a while - google will help and provide pics - but i think it's not officially anounced yet, even though some shops already have it in stock (but i don't know what happens if you actually hit the "order" button) - seems like the clamping has been revised and the travel is now 4" - sounds kewl, i'd go for the black mamba instead, just because of the name ;)

sample
Thanks el saltamontes - I hadn't actually tried to track one down yet!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
CharacterZero said:
Updating spreadsheet to reflect pricing.

I would suggest calling Chad for about any part. Yes, I have heard good things about his GD pricing.
Maybe make the GD drop info 2,3,4" too (maybe with a footnote that it's customizeable for multiposition). Per the website the lengths available are 275-400, and post sizes are 26.8, 27.0 or 27.2 and larger sizes are via shim...

I was wrong on the msrp, its 250, I was thinking about the Turbo version (then there's the Descender version at $200 with no handlebar control).

Yes, am a fan of the GD, plus I've met Wayne and his familly, very nice folks.

Where's Red Barn?

·
Fat & Single
4,174 Posts
I have a CB joplin in 30.9 on my current bike and have just bought a new frame that needs 31.6 . Its the best addition i have done to my bike and will never ride without one again.

I will probably get the RS i900 this time though.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I´ll probably buy the new version of the Fezzari/Kindshock post.
It´s called i950 and has a better, non-setback clamp and comes in 400mm and 30.9 and 31,6dia.
Now the question is:
Wether I should get the remote or the non-remote version.

I think I´ll get the non-remote because:

-pro: no clutter on the bars, seatpost can be taken out easily for transport in the trunk, no additional cable rubbing my precious Heckler paintjob

-con: need to take the hand off the bar (I am not a racer, therefore not having to get off the bike is probably enough "flow" addition)

What do you guys think. Does one need the remote?

Greetings Znarf

1 - 20 of 2223 Posts