Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Dirty minded
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experience and hands/a$$ on comparison with the different models? I'm thinking most durable mechanism, consistant smooth operation, lightest weight, least expensive...yeah, yeah...the regular wish list.
Specifically anyone demoed one of these "Fezzari Drop In Remote Adjustable Seatpost"? https://www.fezzari.com/products/index/Fezzari_Drop_In_Remote_Adjustable_Seatpost/85/42#Reviews
I'm not sure I'd want 'infinite' adjustability, prolly 1"& 4" drop positions would seem to be more appropriate.

Crank bros., GD, AMP, and now this one... someone offer some insight please!!:confused:

·
Registered
321 Posts
on pricepoint the sette ryde is only like 35 dollars or so. I have one and have ZERO complaints, sure it doesnt have a remote and you have to sit on it to make it slide down, but it 150 to 200 less than the ones you mentioned. if you have some semblance of coordination you can reach down to pull up the lever and sit down while you are riding before you go down the hill you are adjusting for. also a little oil helps out of the box to break it in and keep it lubes well. Honestly, i dont know when really use the infinity adjustablity of the Ryde becasue im either climbing up (seat post all the way up) or bombing down( seat post all the way down) but to each his own i guess

·
Registered
216 Posts
i've only ridden the gravity dropper with the remote and it was pretty sweet for uphill (right up my ar$e) and perfect for bombing drops as it was well out the way but you still had control through your legs.

I did find I was wanting for a kindof in between position hitting fast flowy single track (50% of my rides) where it was marginally too high or way too low which gave the bike a tall unwieldy feeling.

The remote was sweet and i'd say it's worth having as you it really is on the fly, see the jump - dump the seat, hit the jump and raise it so you can pedal off. changing between heights seemed a touch confusing in the shop but was completely intuative within an hour. one of the huge advantages was dropping the seat to clear a big drop, then throwing the switch as you land so you're accelerating out of the jump seamlessly - pretty sweet feeling :thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
dimitrin said:
Has anyone experience and hands/a$$ on comparison with the different models? I'm thinking most durable mechanism, consistant smooth operation, lightest weight, least expensive...yeah, yeah...the regular wish list.
Specifically anyone demoed one of these "Fezzari Drop In Remote Adjustable Seatpost"? https://www.fezzari.com/products/index/Fezzari_Drop_In_Remote_Adjustable_Seatpost/85/42#Reviews
I'm not sure I'd want 'infinite' adjustability, prolly 1"& 4" drop positions would seem to be more appropriate.

Crank bros., GD, AMP, and now this one... someone offer some insight please!!:confused:
I have the Fezzari one with the remote it works well! I did not think I would use the full 5" of drop but I defiantly do (it's oemed by kindshock) I just bought it this month and only have about 6 rides on it so I can't speak to it;s long term serviceability but it has no side to side slop like I have heard the joplins have. I also have found that I am constantly changing the height of my seat with it probably 30+ times in a 9 mile ride on rolling terrain. I can't express how much I love always having my seat at the perfect height for the terrain you are riding. It is probably the single best upgrade that I have done to my bike to date.

·
Registered
106 Posts
bigjp said:
I have the Fezzari one with the remote it works well! I did not think I would use the full 5" of drop but I defiantly do (it's oemed by kindshock) I just bought it this month and only have about 6 rides on it so I can't speak to it;s long term serviceability but it has no side to side slop like I have heard the joplins have. I also have found that I am constantly changing the height of my seat with it probably 30+ times in a 9 mile ride on rolling terrain. I can't express how much I love always having my seat at the perfect height for the terrain you are riding. It is probably the single best upgrade that I have done to my bike to date.
I to use a KS Cobra I900 Remote seat post, this is what the Fezzari is badged as in the UK. I have replaced my Crankbrothers Joplin with this post and it is everything that the Joplin should have been!

The Joplin only had 3 inches of adjustment, a rubbish seat clamp and terriable side to side movement of the seat and as soon as it gets wet or muddy it jams!!

The KS has 5 inches of infinate adjustment and as stated above you do use it all, it is awesome to be able to adjust to your terrain, it improves your riding and enjoyment factor. It has no lateral movement and hasnt yet jammed on me!

It is so much better than the Joplin, which to be frank is an over priced, un-engineered piece of crap!!

In the UK the KS (Kind Shock) post is the same price as the Joplin so it is by no means a 'budget' alternative.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
My AMP 1"/4" drop remote height adjust seat post is about 3/4 year old and used every ride.

It really wasn't more than an ounce or so heavier than my Thompson post it replaced as felt by comparing both by hand as I changed them out.

It has remained easy to adjust, sliding easily with very little maintenance, only adding a couple drops of oil on the upper post under the neoprene mud guard just two times since new.

It was very wiggle free when new but has gradually developed a little sloppy wiggle I cannot feel at all when riding. I noticed my friend's Gravity Dropper has about the same amount of wiggle too.

The AMP is made in California by a machinist in his spare time. He is very accessible by email, and even offered to rebuild mine labor free with a custom 3/4"/4" drop for just the price of the low cost special order part. (I decided not to go forward with the shorter mid-drop.)

That Fezzari Drop you linked in the original post does look like a bargain in price at $199 discounted on sale now compared to $325 I think I paid for my AMP. I like the fixed 1 inch drop of the AMP, but could probably get used to an infinite adjust drop too.

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
1"/4" drop here

dimitrin said:
Thanks.
So basically a 1" / 4" drop would be the way to go? How long did you have that post? The weight was a non-issue? Does any one have any time on any of the infinite position models?
I have the GD 1"/4" drop seatpost. I have had it for the past 6 months. I use the 1" position alot as the 4" drop is a bit lower than I need for my style of riding (more on the XC side of AM). The weight is really a non issue for me. The biggest negative to me is that it makes putting the bike in a work stand a bit more difficult.

The remote is really nice to have to return the seatpost to the normal riding height. I think that I would get more use out of the 1"/3" version if I had it. The GD is on my "primary" bike. The "secondary" bike does not have a GD. Not sure that I miss it when I am riding the "secondary" bike. YMMV.

bobo

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Crank Bros without the remote. I started with the remote but did not want to run another cable. So I removed it. Im not sure which adjustable post is the best, but I have had no problems with the Joplin.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
Would never ride without one. My friends break their joplins and gravity dropper and then replace or warranty them cause they won't ride without them either. If mine breaks, I'll replace it. I don't care that it adds a half pound to my bike. For people who pedal it takes riding to a new level. Get the remote cause letting go or stopping to fix the seat is no fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
axolotl said:
Would never ride without one. My friends break their joplins and gravity dropper and then replace or warranty them cause they won't ride without them either. If mine breaks, I'll replace it. I don't care that it adds a half pound to my bike. For people who pedal it takes riding to a new level. Get the remote cause letting go or stopping to fix the seat is no fun.
It actually becomes second nature to adjust the post on the fly even without a remote. It also gives you a quick opportunity to adjust the boys if needed!!!???

·
Older than I feel
1,920 Posts
Happy with the Joplin R so far, after a dozen or so rides. No problems to date.

5" drop is a LOT. The Joplin only offers 3" but I rarely use it all, only on the sketchiest descents.

Once you get an adjustable post, you won't ever want to ride without it again!

·
Registered
531 Posts
The Sette is a great choice at $35, but is quite heavy @ 663 grams (claimed value).

It is also possible to rig a remote to the Sette post. I hated running mine without a remote, it takes a fair bit of force to compress. Using only one hand on the bar (and the other on seatpost lever), it takes unnecessary finesse to retract the Sette while maintaining speed...

·
1,113 Posts
I owned the maverick speedball ( Now joplin) without the remote.

I had problems with it sticking down. There was also some play but I got used to it.

It was possible to change to a remote if needed later.

I have heard good things about the specialized one. The air assist i supposed to make it really smooth.

The downside is that it will only be made in 30.9 diameter. So wont work with my new bike.

I am looking into the KS Kobra.

CrashBang thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
bigjp said:
Ah, very cool. I had the opportunity to fondle the Kind Shock adjustable post at I-bike and was very impressed. It seemed to be of high quality construction, operated smoothly, and was not overly heavy. I like that it has infinite adjustability like my Maverick Speedball, fits my 31.6mm seat tube, has a much better Thomson-like seat clamp, has no side to side play, and has the 5"inch drop.

Like others have said the Speedball has a few glitches... three inches is often times not enough, it gets sticky sometimes, and the seat clamp is hard to adjust and fiddly to get set up properly.

Glad to know the KS is available here in the US (In Orem, UT) under the Fezzari name. At that price I may just make the swap.

Oh, and most definitely get one with a remote. I use mine all the time in spots where I would never be able to take a hand off the bar.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.