Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been covered 100 times before, believe me I have read all the threads and reviews over the last week. Basically I am tired of going over the bars on steep technical DH because my seat it too high, or having to stop and adjust my seat. I have pretty much rules out the Gravity Dropper because it is just plain but ugly. I was all set to order the Crank Bros. Joplin seat post with remote as it looks very good, is pretty beefy and will fit my frame (31.6) without a shim. During all of my reading this week I came across the AMP seat post. While IMO it doesn’t not look as good as the Joplin, it looks much better than the GD and I could live with it. I like that the AMP comes in 4” & 5” models unlike the Joplin 3”. But I don’t think I have ever dropped my seat more than 3” on the trail anyway. The big thing that is starting to sway me towards the AMP is that it is a mechanical design unlike the hydraulic design of the Joplin. There just seems like there is less to go wring with the AMP. But on the other hand if something did go wrong with the Joplin I have no doubt that Crank Bros. would take care of me. Until the week I have never heard of the company that makes the AMP, and I cannot even remember their name of the top of my head.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Company is www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com I have the (1", 3") drop model and love it. Easy installation and worked for me right out of the box with only very minor adjustment of the barrel adjuster. Solid construction with no side to side play and no flex that I can feel when riding. Increases the flow of riding and also IMO makes riding generally safer by being able to lower the seat even for short steeper sections. I find the 3" model enough for me.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cryde said:
Company is www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com I have the (1", 3") drop model and love it. Easy installation and worked for me right out of the box with only very minor adjustment of the barrel adjuster. Solid construction with no side to side play and no flex that I can feel when riding. Increases the flow of riding and also IMO makes riding generally safer by being able to lower the seat even for short steeper sections. I find the 3" model enough for me.
Unfortunatly the AMP is out of stock, and it looks like over a month till I would receive one. I like the looks of the Joplin the most, but the 3" drop and hydrolics concearn me a little. I like the 4" drop on the GD, but the think it but ugly and I don't like that box sticking out. Look cheesy and like something could het caught. I did a test by lowering me seat 3" and I was amazed by how if felt. I would have sworn I lowered it 4" or 5". I can also get the Joplin with remote for $205. As it stands the looks and price of the Jopin are pointing me in that direction.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
Have never used a speedb...err - Joplin.
I have had an AMP since last fall. ( 1 & 4")

I love it.

Works like a charm -well it did until last ride.
I have not yet needed to adjust it, was perfect out of the box, but now I a-feared it needs a bit o' adjustment, as I am having to put most of my weight on it to lock it in the full down position. At the beginning of the ride, all was fine, but buy the time I got home, we had a bit of a lack of lock. I'm thinking the mud this spring was not nice. Even with the boot it probably needs a bit of a clean and re-lube.

michael

·
EDR
10,572 Posts
I've stated this before but....there have been several postings on this forum about the Joplin/Speedball seat rail clamp and how if you hit the seat hard with your butt the seat will tilt forward. Not dozens of complaints but enough that I have put off forking over that kind of money for a seatpost until CB makes an improvement on it's design. I thought I read somewhere that a redesign could be done by the end of this year, not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Used both! AMP is great but a mechanical feel. Joplin is a way better feel but does not drop more than 3", not that you need it. The Joplin has some side to side play in the seat due to the air sleeve. It's not a big deal it is what it is. Put it to you this way, if the Joplin came in a 27.2 I'd have it on my TiML not just my El Guapo.

·
screamer
1,385 Posts
mykel said:
I have had an AMP since last fall. ( 1 & 4") Works like a charm -well it did until last ride.
In my experience to get the best performance out of it, lubing every time I lube my chain helps a lot. Just a couple of drops on the stanchion with TriFlow or something similar, cycle the post a couple of times to get it in there, voila!

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
Lube'n me shaft

Thanks for the tip -re add it to the lube ritual.
I've given it a bit o Slick Honey a couple of times when it was first new to help quiet the "rasp", but since then it's been mostly quiet and working flawlessly. A good clean, adjust and lube and we will be good to go.

michael

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nothing like posting after the fact, but...

I think you're going to love your Joplin. After chasing after my riding buddies on the transitions (they ride GDs), I got fed up with having to stop and put my seat up/down and I finally ponied up and got an adjustable. They tried to talk me into the GD, saying that the 3" wasn't going to be enough. I had to be different though and went the Crank Brothers route.

I'd read a few postings from people who weren't totally happy with it, but I've got to tell you that I've never had a problem with mine. Despite my buddies' concerns that 3" wouldn't be enough, it's always been plenty of drop for me. And it really looks sweet on my ride too!

Crank Bros really does nice work and they stand behind their products, so have no fear, you'll get every penny's worth out of your new post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
I've stated this before but....there have been several postings on this forum about the Joplin/Speedball seat rail clamp and how if you hit the seat hard with your butt the seat will tilt forward. Not dozens of complaints but enough that I have put off forking over that kind of money for a seatpost until CB makes an improvement on it's design. I thought I read somewhere that a redesign could be done by the end of this year, not 100% sure though.
I'd read those posts too, and I'm not saying that it didn't happen for them, but I've put this thing through some abuse and never had a problem. Not sure if CB has fixed the problem, if they had bum seats, or if I just got lucky, but I went ahead and chanced it and it payed off. Worst case, CB stands behind its products and there wouldn't be any problem getting the seat fixed or replaced.

There is a little side-to-side play (very little), but I only notice it when I'm off the bike screwing with the seat...I've never noticed it riding.

Hope some of this is useful to you...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just fitted the Joplin R to my bike a couple of days ago. It added a 1/2 lb. to my bike but the operation of it is trick, I see myself using the "lever" all the time. I had to scrounge up some 4mm cable ends (comes with 2) and some shimano inner liner as I did not have any straight thru cable guides left.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LDH said:
I just fitted the Joplin R to my bike a couple of days ago. It added a 1/2 lb. to my bike but the operation of it is trick, I see myself using the "lever" all the time. I had to scrounge up some 4mm cable ends (comes with 2) and some shimano inner liner as I did not have any straight thru cable guides left.
Just finished installing mine. This thing is F'ing SWEET:thumbsup:

I cannot wait ti try on on the trails

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I'm gonna order a Joplin next week. It's retarded cheap on a pro deal. Now I just need to decide if I want the one with remote or not.

·
Registered
778 Posts
savagemann said:
I'm gonna order a Joplin next week. It's retarded cheap on a pro deal. Now I just need to decide if I want the one with remote or not.
Yes, you want the one with the remote. I honestly think that getting one without a remote would be missing half the point of that kind of seatpost... the ability to truly adjust it on the fly, just like shifting gears is what makes those posts so special. Having to compromise and take a hand off the bars to reach back and adjust the post would negate a large part of the possible advantage. The downside is another cable to route and another lever on your bars, but really, that isn't much of an issue after you have done the initial setup.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Hack On Wheels said:
Yes, you want the one with the remote. I honestly think that getting one without a remote would be missing half the point of that kind of seatpost... the ability to truly adjust it on the fly, just like shifting gears is what makes those posts so special. Having to compromise and take a hand off the bars to reach back and adjust the post would negate a large part of the possible advantage. The downside is another cable to route and another lever on your bars, but really, that isn't much of an issue after you have done the initial setup.
Might have to drill the frame out to compensate for the extra weight otherwise the climbs will be brutal. :D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not sure if these can handle the abuse, but these things seem like they would be perfect for DH racing. You could have your seat 3" higher than usually for more power when pedaling on the flatter sections and drop of down to normal DH seat hight for the sketchy stuff.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.