Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to apologize ahead of time if this is considered off topic, but it deals with canti brakes so I figure you folks would be the best to bounce ideas off of/glean information from.

I just purchased an old touring rig which uses 27" wheels/old XT/Dia Compe mountain components. I figured the sized difference was minimal, so I could replace the old set of wheels with a more modern (and easily replaceable) 700c set I have laying around. Everything was going swimmingly until I tried to adjust the brakes. No can do.

If I do get them to work (barely) they stick out WAY too far and don't provide much stopping power.

I've got a couple of questions. First, are there cantilever brakes made which adjust to accommodate different wheel sizes? Second, this frame has the reverse spring (holes are on the outside of the fork posts). Can I just replace the spring with any old self loaded one instead of limiting my brake selection to brakes with the reverse spring action?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
commuter73 said:
I've got a couple of questions. First, are there cantilever brakes made which adjust to accommodate different wheel sizes? Second, this frame has the reverse spring (holes are on the outside of the fork posts). Can I just replace the spring with any old self loaded one instead of limiting my brake selection to brakes with the reverse spring action?

Thanks in advance for the help.
might be worth a shot to try some long armed canti's like the onza HO's or avid tri-aligns. The onza's are on fleabay for pretty cheap all the time, the avid are much harder to come by.

sorry, no idea about #2.

got a place to mount some long reach road calipers? ask spinwheelz how big of a tire those'll fit. (eg http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=69&subcategory=1014&brand=&sku=11499&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Road%20Brakes )

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Trying to fit 700c wheels in place of 27" is more difficult than trying to put 27". The bead seat diameter for 700c rims is 622mm while the bead seat for a 27" rim is 630. The brakes mentioned like the onZa, Avid (and Paul's) have more range of adjustability, but that range is usually for larger diameter rims rather than smaller as is your situation.

As for the springs, yes, you should be able to mount a brake that has self-contained springs (like the Dia-Compe 986 type).

A third option would be to remove your canti bosses and have new ones brazed on in a position that will allow any canti brake to be used with 700c rims. Some bike shops are equipped with brazing equipment and can do this. If you want this frame and fork (or you can get a replacement fork like a Surly with canti bosses to run 700c wheels) to be a keeper, this would make the frame infinitely more useable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.