Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

Last winter I've build a hardtail from scratch with different components I found on sale. My goal with the bike was to make it a solid machine so I can trust it even when the trail is a bit gnarly (I'm not a pro rider so everybit of boost helps).

Initially I wanted to install an Srsuntour Epixon but a friend found me a nice deal on a Sektor RL Silver Motion Control™ from 2016 with 140 mm of travel.

For the price I've paid the fork is more then decent but I have some questions regarding the forks progressions.
I have around 70-73 kg and I run ~70psi, rebound set to the fastest and compression fully opened the sag being around 25%.
The fork absorbs the medium size bumps and large bumps very well but when it comes to the small one's, well... it's like riding a fixed fork bike.
I noticed also that I'm not using full travel on the large bumps/drops, only around 70-75%. The fork is firming up considerably when going through it's travel.

My goals:
-to make it more plush
-to use at least 90% of travel

Questions:
1.There is to much oil in the damper?
2. Is there a possibility that the fork may have to many volume spacers (from what I've read it doesn't have any, it's not on the supported list on their website)
3. Maybe the air chamber is restricted somehow?! (This is just a random thought).

Any reply helps, thanks!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
You may be able to swap out the damper with one from a different RS fork. In the past, some components were interchangeable. I have a Argyle damper in my Recon, for example. The cheap turnkey dampers on the lower end forks suck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the damper cannot be swapped on my Silver model but someone adviced me to use a lighter oil in the damper side and maybe decrease the oil volume by 5-10 mm RS states that it should be use a 5W oil with 140ml in volume.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little update. I dropped the pressure furthermore. Right now I'm at 63 psi (I'm 72 kg) and the fork feels considerably nicer. In a few months I will do a full service, I will report my results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.