Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently went from a 2 by 10 setup (22/36) to a single ring setup(Next SL) with a 28t direct mount front chainring. I have a medium cage rear derailleur type 2 SRAM X9. When the bike shop did the conversion, they did not need to shorten the chain and I'm not sure if they needed to adjust the derailleur. I have had no issues since, but I am thinking of getting a bigger front chainring as I am doing a race in a couple of months. I am a bit embarassed to say I have little to no experience with adjusting my derailleur. My question is: If I go from a 28t to a 32t chainring, will I need to adjust the derailleur? My first thought is no because the tension on the derailleur from the increased chainring size shouldn't affect the side to side shifting through the gears. Since the bike shop didn't need to shorten the chain from my previous 22/36 setup, I'm also thinking I won't need to change the chain length either. The reason why I am asking this is I would like to do this little project by myself but if there is going to be significant issues with derailleur adjustment, I might pass. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
The shop should have shortened your chain for that conversion. You won't need to adjust your rear derailleur if you change the front ring but you may need to lengthen your chain, check the derailleur position when in the big rear cog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts