Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from a fam vacation in Lake George and have to say my hat is off to any and all SS riders in that area. Only bike i brought was my fixie beater [80's nishiki - 42x16] and man! whut a workout. I am from the pancake flat ottawa area and am used to short steep climbs not ones that go on for k after k. Even had to give up on my first [road] climb ever - for those familiar with the area it is the diamond pt road which runs between Warrensburg and ends at the village of diamond pt on lake george. Riding down it on a fixei was hard enough but up - well lets just say i ran out of gas and turned around - soundly defeated.
Otherwise the long gradual climbs were fun - gearing was a little tall but the rest remained doable. my fave ride was down into lake george [a 3-4 k descent from my campground] then up to wards lake luzerne - smooth roads, larges paved shoulders, no traffic and beautiful scenery.
Um, oh yeah and the family had fun too
:D

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Took my fixed gear up there last year. Beautiful riding, went just after labor day. Rode around Diamond Point and a bunch of stuff on the other side of the lake and down to whatever town that has the outlets (wife went shopping) and the bizarro looking Candyland amusement park.

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
I ride up there a lot...

My wife's family has a house on Brant Lake which is just north and east of W'burg. The road riding in the 'dacks is fantastic. Suprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of good mountain biking to be had in our section of the park. Mountain bikes are allowed only on the snowmobile trails, and those suck. We gave up bringing our mtbs years ago. But, luckily, the road riding makes up for it. Glad you had a good time up there.

B

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
riderx said:
Took my fixed gear up there last year. Beautiful riding, went just after labor day. Rode around Diamond Point and a bunch of stuff on the other side of the lake and down to whatever town that has the outlets (wife went shopping) and the bizarro looking Candyland amusement park.
I know exactly where you arel talking about - glen falls and the outlet strip. There is a paved bike trail from lake george to GF that passes thru a beautiful forest then pops out beside one of the most garish amusement parks i have ever seen! nothing scares a canuck like a 30 ft uncle sam towering over you :eek:
Riderx, if you rode UP diamond point road out of the village, my hat is off to you. I tried.....and failed miserably - what gearing were you riding?
My wife and I are already planning a trip down again next year but more in the Saranac lake area - beautiful country as well. Around Saranac, I think i saw a sign for Pisgah forest or something - did I read wrong or is it in that area?
Dave

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Well, not sure of all of the road names, but I didn't do any walking. I think I know the road you are talking about. We were staying about midway between Diamond Pt. and the main town , so I rode Rt. 9N many, many times that week and looped a bunch of stuff. Rt. 9L on the other side of the lake had some good hills as I recall. I was running 44x17.

FYI, the Pisgah you are probably thinking of is down in NC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.