Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just bought some new Mallet C's from a LBS today and I am planning to buy some Adidas Hematoma's to go with them. Just wondering if anyone has had any experince with this shoe, one of the review's said that they have compatiblity trouble with Mallets but they guy at the shop said it shouldn't be a problem, anyone experince this? Anyways any response would be greatly appreciated...
Thx :cool:

Attachments

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
RuNDmC1087 said:
Does 661 now offer a clipless DH shoe?
It's technically not a DH shoe, but it's skate styling. Really targeted more at casual, dirtjump, 4x. But it is clipless, and it works fine for DH, a little less ankle support than some shoes, but it's a 3/4 high top.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A buddy of mine has the Hematomas and Mallets. They work well together and have no compatibility issues, he loves the combo. I run Mallets and the 661 Launch shoe, and i only have good things to say about the combo. IMO, the Hematomas aren't worth teh extra $$ over the 661.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
No problem at all. I use an older similar model adidas high with Mallets. You may have to use a few extra shims under the cleat but that is all.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, thats good, well at the moment ive got some canondale clipless shoes, they look kind of like hiking boots except they work with clipless pedals. The pedals are sometimes hard to get out of, do i need to add more shims? Also the thing i didint like about them is that they lace and the laces get caught in the chain, along with the fact that they are kind of flexy, so I was under the impression the the Hematoma shoes would be stiffer? is this true?

·
Registered
54 Posts
RuNDmC1087 said:
I was under the impression the the Hematoma shoes would be stiffer? is this true?
I've had a pair of the Hematoma's for almost a year- they are pretty stiff, have a protective toe box and the inside of the ankle is well protected. The sole material isn't very gripy on flats, but is fine for hike-a-bike sessions and clip-less action. Mine have held up well- but they are pricey. I got them mainly to protect my ankles from a vicious set of old FSA X-drives- which they did very well. If you don't mind dropping cash, I seem to remember Specialized making a shoe called the SawPit that looked pretty burly and $$$$.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
yeah for 06 specialized has the sawpit (burly DH with carbon fiber protection plates) and a new crossover 3/4 shoe that looks exactly like the hematoma.

They make some killer shoes with their BodyGeometry technology, and probably plenty cheaper than the adidas.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
j6105 said:
yeah for 06 specialized has the sawpit (burly DH with carbon fiber protection plates) and a new crossover 3/4 shoe that looks exactly like the hematoma.

They make some killer shoes with their BodyGeometry technology, and probably plenty cheaper than the adidas.
Spec/adidas prices are about the same.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Love Them!

I love mine. I've had them for over a year and use them for all types of riding. They're ridiculously stiff and very protective. You can kick up huge boulders and even ram roack walls with your toes without fear of injury. I hit stuff so hard my feet get knocked out of the pedals and I feel no pain.

The only downside is that if they don't fit right, you're going to be hating life. The first pair I had fit perfect in the store. But fifteen minutes into the first ride I had to stop and take them off. So maybe buy them a half size or third size larger than feels perfect. Too tight is very, very bad.

Oh yeah - I have Shimano DH clipless pedals. Don't know how they'll work with Mallets.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Photo-John said:
I love mine. I've had them for over a year and use them for all types of riding. They're ridiculously stiff and very protective. You can kick up huge boulders and even ram roack walls with your toes without fear of injury. I hit stuff so hard my feet get knocked out of the pedals and I feel no pain.

The only downside is that if they don't fit right, you're going to be hating life. The first pair I had fit perfect in the store. But fifteen minutes into the first ride I had to stop and take them off. So maybe buy them a half size or third size larger than feels perfect. Too tight is very, very bad.

Oh yeah - I have Shimano DH clipless pedals. Don't know how they'll work with Mallets.
Pretty much "ditto" on all accounts, except for the fit issue....I bought mine about a 1/2 size big to begin with. The toe box is made out of hockey skate material...awesome protection. I've used mine for 2 seasons, and I'm just about now ready for some replacements. I even raced a few cyclocross races in them, because they are the only clipless shoes I have.
The Spec. Sawpit is similar in idea and price, but butt-ugly IMO.
Check Go-Ride for availability on the Hematoma, and tell'em you are an mtbr guy.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
shabadu said:
...Check Go-Ride for availability on the Hematoma, and tell'em you are an mtbr guy.
Go-Ride does have the best price I have seen and they do sponsor this forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts