Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Adidas Freerider Pro $90 or less (plus 15% cashback)

4K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  noapathy 
#1 · (Edited)
On the Adidas website. $90 for Freerider Pro. (a few other models on sale, too, but I haven't seen Pros on sale for a while)
Found these on sale for what seems like a decent price these days. Only one color for $90 - dark gray, but a couple others are on sale for a bit over $100 and lots of sizes available. Free shipping if you sign up for their club. Cashback is 15% at rakuten right now ($13.50 so $76.50 plus tax after cashback)
Hope this helps someone and happy holidays! :)

See post #7 for possible extra savings by purchasing a discounted e-gift card - thanks @Roy !

#30 ·
I just ordered Freerider pros on Amazon last night for $75 in 9.5 and 10. Certain colors and sizes are half off right now while others are in $140 range.

Be careful with their selections and read the details carefully. Some of the colors are the Prime Blue version which have a different rubber compound. The main title doesn't distinguish that. You gotta read the fine print.

#35 ·
got hands on with the primeblue version at rei today. only because it was on the shelf as i waited for them to find my shoes in the back.

it was hardly a test or anything meaningful, but id have to imagine that theyre still more than grippy enough depending on the pedals theyre paired with. i run oneup alloy pedals and they could make a greased up sausage grip with the standard pin setup.

still left with the classic pro model though. familiarity, availability, and hey, color too, all lured me in despite the higher price.

#36 ·
got hands on with the primeblue version at rei today. only because it was on the shelf as i waited for them to find my shoes in the back.

it was hardly a test or anything meaningful, but id have to imagine that theyre still more than grippy enough depending on the pedals theyre paired with.
I just got a set from REI recently too. They fit well and are comfortable. Have only worn them on the bike once so far at the pump track. I run progressively grippier pedals on the few bikes I have, so hopefully they're up to duty.

#3 ·
On the Adidas website. $90 for Freerider Pro. (a few other models on sale, too, but I haven't seen Pros on sale for a while)
Found these on sale for what seems like a decent price these days. Only one color for $90 - dark gray, but a couple others are on sale for a bit over $100 and lots of sizes available. Free shipping if you sign up for their club. Cashback is 15% at rakuten right now ($13.50 so $76.50 plus tax after cashback)
Hope this helps someone and happy holidays! :)
Thanks, Brutha!
=sParty

#18 ·
sidetrack, but REI has them for the same price. $5 cheaper if you don't have to pay shipping from Adidas.

No rakuten savings to be had though, but instant gratification if you're in a rush (and they actually have them in a store near you.)

#28 ·
So got a pair from Adidas. A couple of wet rides, one on the road and one on dirt.
  1. Very stiff sole. You do not feel the pedal through. It's like a plank.
  2. Not as grippy as my previous Contacts. Especially when wet, that is the largest difference.
  3. Uppers are narrower, so when you lace them the opening looks very open. I think it looks lame, someone else said it's the style of skate shoe. It basically looks like the shoe is overstuffed.

I thought the prime blue is just the upper, but it's certainly a different sole than other 5.10s I had before.

#32 · (Edited)
^^^
I was just avoiding them based on reviews that I saw mentioning how they didn't grip as well as their old version, half the people didn't even realize it was a different compound, just complained that the shoe was not the one they remember as far as grip goes. Others did mention the primeblue being different.

They describe the primeblue as Stealth compound but they describe the regular version as Stealth S1 or something like that.

These will be replacing my RC Livewire so I am interested to see the difference in grip, if any. I've never owned 510 platform shoes for riding but I do have a pair of 510 Kestrel Lace spd which served me well when I was riding clipless(occasionally still do on my gravel bike). But sole grippiness doesn't matter on those.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

#33 · (Edited)
Here is the difference. The freeriders have the Stealth S1 rubber soles, the prime blue has Stealth Marathon. The marathon is supposed to be longer lasting (eco friendly I guess, consume less shoes). It is significantly harder than S1. For example my hiking shoes feel a little softer. There are a few types of Stealth, Marathon is the hardest and longest lasting.

It's a nice shoe otherwise, looks good off the bike, can be great if you commute to work on a bike. I would keep if for city cycling if I did not already have a couple of city bike shoes.

#38 ·
Here is the difference. The freeriders have the Stealth S1 rubber soles, the prime blue has Stealth Marathon. The marathon is supposed to be longer lasting (eco friendly I guess, consume less shoes). It is significantly harder than S1. For example my hiking shoes feel a little softer. There are a few types of Stealth, Marathon is the hardest and longest lasting.
Sorry for awakening an aging thread, but CrozCountry, where did you manage to figure out that the Primeblue Freeriders have Marathon on them?

I got here because I've been Googling trying to figure it out. I like the greenish Primeblue upper color and need new Freeriders, so I almost bought the Primeblue ones before I saw all the reviews about grip issues. Now in addition to the Primeblue ones, they also sell these almost identical ones with the Primeblue recycled upper that are labeled as regular Freeriders, and I'm trying to make sure I understand the sole differences to make sure the newer ones don't have the grip problems.

I know regular Freeriders are S1, but the Primeblue ones usually just list "Stealth" with no further specification... I feel like someone at Adidas thought they could pull one over on us

#44 ·
not that this is really of any importance but just to be clear, I'm talking about the elastic strap in the middle of the laces. That is the lace keeper, or at least that's where I tuck my laces into.

I think it was mentioned in the little pamphlet that came with my shoes to be used as such.

Here's a picture of the primeblues... looks the same as my shoes.

#45 · (Edited)
not that this is really of any importance but just to be clear, I'm talking about the elastic strap in the middle of the laces. That is the lace keeper, or at least that's where I tuck my laces into.

I think it was mentioned in the little pamphlet that came with my shoes to be used as such.

Here's a picture of the primeblues... looks the same as my shoes.
Oh, yes, it has that. I was talking about a horizontal strap to keep the ends tidy. The thing you're talking about is hard for me to get the ends to stay tucked into until they actually break and I replace them with longer ones.
Glasses Blue Sleeve Grey Digital SLR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.