Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im smil'in from ear to ear right now, I cant wait to build it up. This will be the first Horst link frame so Im looking foward to campare the Turner to the Yeti, the winners stays home, runner up will find a happy home somewhere else. I sure hope the Spot dont let me down.

2004 Medium Spot, black anodized with a Romic.

Attachments

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
Sweeeeet frame

Very sweet frame and I dig that anodized black:) . Think you're smilin' now, what til she's built and out on there first ride.....weeeeeeeeeee :D . Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Kevin

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Holy freholy batman!! that's the first time I've seen production ano up close. Very nice, very nice indeed.

I guess you'll be joining JnC's "Black Ninja Panty Clan" now eh?

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
B-E-A-Utiful!!!

ride red said:
Im smil'in from ear to ear right now, I cant wait to build it up. This will be the first Horst link frame so Im looking foward to campare the Turner to the Yeti, the winners stays home, runner up will find a happy home somewhere else. I sure hope the Spot dont let me down.

2004 Medium Spot, black anodized with a Romic.
As my avatar quote says, Join the club!!

Looks good. We're gonna need some 'Black Ninja' photos once you get her fully built.

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
819 Posts
Very Nice!!!!!!
That black looks like shimmers in the sun light.
:D

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's for all the happy thoughts, kinda feel like Peter Pan!

Black Ninja Panty Clan? HAAAAAAA!!!! I like it!

I tried to get some close up's to see the finish, here's one of the rear end, its about the best shot of the ano finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice Choice!!!

I just ordered the exact same thing today. That Black Ano is Sweet. I wasn't sure about the powder coat vs. the ano but those pix sealed the deal. I haven't been able to see one up close so thanks for posting. Very nice!!!

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.....

I should of waited a bit before getting mine - that black ano is dreamy!!!!

Congrats!!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
ride red said:
...Im looking foward to campare the Turner to the Yeti, the winners stays home, runner up will find a happy home somewhere else...
Hey Red, welcome to the family. You might as well save yourself some time and go ahead and place a big fat add in the classifieds for one 575, change your avatar to something Turneresque, and drop the "Red" in your handle for something more along the lines of... "Black!"

Cheers,
Crash

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
.... change your avatar to something Turneresque, and drop the "Red" in your handle for something more along the lines of... "Black!"........
.....yeah, like "chemically enhanced shadow warrior":p ..........

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again guy's, yeah gotta do something about that handle and avitar.

Anders, I did weigh the frame, 7 lbs 4 oz. and considering the weight of the Romic shock thats not to bad. I kinda compare the weight of the frame to that of the 575 which everyone seems to think is to light for a all-mountain frame, the small 575 weighed 6.1 and the med 575 of my freinds weighed 6.3 pounds. Remove the Romic in and put in a 5th Air shock you will end up 6.3 pound 5 Spot. If someone wanted, not me of course, a 26lb or less 5 Spot could be done, basing this on my freinds 26 pound med. 575, because of the parts build I perfer and the fact I like to hit things, (ok,ok, I dont ride danty, I hammer through things like I did on my dirtbikes) I usually build up bikes a bit on the heavy side. My small 575 was over 30 pounds! One reason to go with the Spot, everyone rave's how tough they are, my Spot will probably be like most here, about 30-32 pounds. Thats if I go with a lighter fork down the road too, I have either a 03 Z1 FR or a 03 Sherman Firefly with 20mmTA, so my current forks are not the lightest stuff.

Any comments reguarding which fork I should use?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
ride red said:
... My small 575 was over 30 pounds! One reason to go with the Spot, everyone rave's how tough they are, my Spot will probably be like most here, about 30-32 pounds. Thats if I go with a lighter fork down the road too, I have either a 03 Z1 FR or a 03 Sherman Firefly with 20mmTA, so my current forks are not the lightest stuff.

I'm in a simalar situation. (32lb+ large 'Spot) I'm using the '03 Z1QR20 and quite frankly I'm loath to give up the 20mm stiffness. I (and my LBS) are looking forward to the '05 fork offerings...UGI is rearing it's ugly head.:D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
ride red said:
...my Spot will probably be like most here, about 30-32 pounds. Thats if I go with a lighter fork down the road too, I have either a 03 Z1 FR or a 03 Sherman Firefly with 20mmTA, so my current forks are not the lightest stuff.

When I first built up my Spot I was a little dismayed by the weight and swore I'd get it down under 30 lbs. Then I started riding, and the more I rode the more I forgot about the weight. Ironically my Spot weighs several pounds more than it's original weight.

As far as fork, you can't go wrong with either the Z1 or the Firefly. If you have both in your possession switch it up a little and let us know which you like best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the Ninja's

Very nice. I wish I would have waited also then am reminded how much fun I have been having with my bike, so no I could not have waited :D

My bike is between 30-35 pounds and yes it is heavy but like CrashTheDog said, the more you start to ride it the less you care about weight, besides I have dropped 10lbs in body weight with this bike cause I ride so much now.

I love my Firefly, I switch between 90mm and 130mm all the time. The 20mm axle is bullet proof.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
And probably thongs 'n g-strings at that. You're guys' theme song could be the "Thong Song."
Bikezilla said:
More like a PANTY enhanced shadow warrior!
....hehe, luckily I realize it's hard for you "guys" to see beyond your "coloRED" perspective....:p Leave it to the "pooftas" to bring toenail clippers to a swordfight:D ...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I must say I love my Z1 FR. This fok works! Could be a litle ighter and lower, but after swapping my stem around (-5 degree now) the geometry is close perfect. The bike is still just a few oz over 29 Pounds. I will defenately check out the new All Mountain forks when they wil be awailabe. Shaving off one pound up front teases me!

E

1 - 20 of 20 Posts