Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the nozzle that comes with the 16oz size of the Stans Sealant suitable for this?

If not, does anyone have a good method?

(I'm trying to avoid having to break the tire bead seating every time I need to add a little sealant.)

Thanks.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,193 Posts
Stan's makes a syringe type device called the injector that is made for this. I don't think you'll have any luck doing it with the pointed cap that comes with the sealant. The injector works well, but its good to break the bead sometimes and remove the clump of dried out sealant that develops over time.
 

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
Joined
·
4,237 Posts
get a syringe and a small piece of tube, I use an old coffee container, pour the liquid in, use the syringe with the tube to suck it out, slid the tube over the the stem and in it goes...

I actually use Caffe Latex over stan's (ammonia in Stan's not good for aluminum!!) and the kit it came with... but any med supply place you can get the stuff you need
 

·
SS Pusher Man
Joined
·
7,596 Posts
I use a 2oz bottle to put the Stan's into the tubes with removable cores....works fine....no need to buy $15 tool/injector when it is not needed.
 

·
ride more
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
I use the injector, but you don't need it. When you remove the valve core the hole in the stem is plenty big enough to pour into with the nozzle or just fashion a small funnel from something.
 

·
No longer 26
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
I have a couple of the small bottles from stans. Cut the tip on one so it just slips over the threaded part of the valve stem. Slide the opening over the valve stem when the bottle is upright. Spin the wheel 180 and squirt.

G
 

·
Positively negative
Joined
·
2,287 Posts
thomllama said:
get a syringe and a small piece of tube, I use an old coffee container, pour the liquid in, use the syringe with the tube to suck it out, slid the tube over the the stem and in it goes...

I actually use Caffe Latex over stan's (ammonia in Stan's not good for aluminum!!) and the kit it came with... but any med supply place you can get the stuff you need
Actually, according tot he new labels and ads, Stan's has changed their formula and no longer uses ammonia. It also claims it's non-corrosive. I used Caffe Latex for a while for your same reasons but recently switched my rear tire over to Stan's due to the new formula, and the fact I couldn't get it to reseal after reapplying Caffe Latex.
 

·
Plastic homer
Joined
·
592 Posts
big_papa_nuts said:
Actually, according tot he new labels and ads, Stan's has changed their formula and no longer uses ammonia. It also claims it's non-corrosive. I used Caffe Latex for a while for your same reasons but recently switched my rear tire over to Stan's due to the new formula, and the fact I couldn't get it to reseal after reapplying Caffe Latex.
x2

Stans's seal punctures better. I've tried Caffelatex with inferior results on that score.

But I use the CL injector for my Stan's "updates" thur the presta every 4 months and break the bead to get out the "boogers once a year.
 

·
Meat Clever
Joined
·
678 Posts
Moval49er said:
x2

Stans's seal punctures better. I've tried Caffelatex with inferior results on that score.

But I use the CL injector for my Stan's "updates" thur the presta every 4 months and break the bead to get out the "boogers once a year.
x3 Caffelametex sucks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
I used my own homemade injector (really good if you have to apply tiny amount of pressure because you are not quite clear line cause something as noted below or latex dried in valve...[that you should clean out anyway] but then went to just one of the lil bottles enoch posted above. Cutting at just the right spot so it is hard to fit over the stem with core removed (btw, never force sealant in jus make sure bead not in way on ethier side and position about 8:00 or 4:00.)
Then I have always just used pliers for core removal and reinstall. Also, I found old tubes in inventory that had removable cores and just made my own homemade valve stems. (work almost as good as the Stan's virgins.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top