Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Rode a Metric Century!
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I borrowed an 05 hardrock Sport. As a thankyou and to express my appreciation; I am upgrading a few things on the bike. I am also giving it a full tune-up: new cables and chain included.

Ok so here is my question. I want to get some entry level disc brakes for the bike. The bike has the mounting spots on the frame and the forks. So I would like to know what I should get and what extra hardware if any I will need. I will just have the shop install them with the tune-up.

Avids?

Oh and what should I expect to pay on a great deal for entry level?

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Does it have disc ready hubs? New wheels and brakes can add up to more than what that bike is worth...just ask the shop what they've got and how much they'd charge if you're not doing the work yourself. Easiest conversion if you do it would be to a mechanical disc brake and really the Avid BB7 is the only one worth doing (it will work with the current brake levers).

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
how about the wheels? are they disc compatible? there will be either a six bolt hub or a center lock on the non drive side of each wheel

if so then any of the ones pictured here would be fine, 160mm rotors , there are 2 types of mounts , the ones that look like tabs with holes in them are IS and the ones that look like 2 little posts with threaded holes are called post mount
you need whatever your bike has for mounts

something like this sounds like what your looking for
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31350

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
New to MB said:
Can I buy a new hub or is it best to get a whole new wheel?
You would probably also need to buy new spokes, and the labor to rebuild the wheel if you didn't do the work yourself. Sometimes it's just cheaper to get the whole new wheelset, but sell the old set to help offset the cost of the new ones, or put them to use on another bike...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.