Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to do this ill-advised thing, is it common practice to drill a hole in the seat tube above the bottom bracket and run the cable housing up?

or is it more or less never done, or only in very specific circumstances? The bike, if upgraded, would be ridden on black diamond trails, but the rider is not aggressive. If it can't be rolled or bypassed, the bike will be walked. No jumps higher than a street curb.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,954 Posts
I drilled a stealth dropper hole in a 2013 steel Kona Honzo frame a couple years ago after talking with a framebuilder about it. He said no problem on that frame because Kona used thick wall tubing, it was steel and in put the hole in a relatively low stress area. I sold the bike a couple months ago but rode it hard during the time I owned it.

In other words I think what really matters is which frame we’re talking about. Some frames yes, some frames no.
=sParty

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree with Spartacus. I would only add the fact that each frame material requires vastly different techniques to drill into. I’ve done conversations to internal dropper posts on everything but titanium (just haven’t had the chance yet) and all have required different methods depending on material type and location of the holes. my best advice is to follow what dad always said; plan a bunch, measure twice, cut (or drill) once. Do your homework first.

·
Underskilled
4,934 Posts
Depends on the frame, some bikes have a very weak seat tube.

You can get a 125mm brank x dropper that has an external cable.

There is also the reverb axs if you just won the lottery.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I drilled into my ragley Marley. It has been fine and I’m pretty hard on stuff. I wouldn’t be concerned on any frame. As far as failure modes go as well, it’s a relatively safe way for a frame to fail should it cause a problem. That is compared to say a head tube failing or a pedal failing.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
I consulted Santa Cruz about that with my ‘14 aluminum Heckler that and also if that would void the warranty and he said no worries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.