Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add disc brakes to my '02 Trek 4900 but was wondering what sort of mount I need for the rear caliper. The bike appears to have some sort of mount on the rear of the frame, but it doesn't look like an IS mount. Is there an adapter or something I can use to put standard disc brakes on this bike?

(and yes, I know that i need disc compatible wheels. they're on the list...)


Thanks!
 

·
occupation : Foole
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
wzictrace said:
I want to add disc brakes to my '02 Trek 4900 but was wondering what sort of mount I need for the rear caliper. The bike appears to have some sort of mount on the rear of the frame, but it doesn't look like an IS mount. Is there an adapter or something I can use to put standard disc brakes on this bike?

(and yes, I know that i need disc compatible wheels. they're on the list...)


Thanks!
I may be off base, here, but I think Trek has some goofball adapter to fit discs on the rear.....if you're set on it, consider going disc up front only....half the cost and nearly all the benefits, beings as the rear brake does much less "work" than the front. I say disc the front and be done with it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuelish said:
I may be off base, here, but I think Trek has some goofball adapter to fit discs on the rear.....if you're set on it, consider going disc up front only....half the cost and nearly all the benefits, beings as the rear brake does much less "work" than the front. I say disc the front and be done with it...

I'll look for the adapters. The reason I'm considering going with both discs is because I need a new wheelset (i banged up my old set pretty good) and most of the lighter disc wheelsets don't have a surface for wheel brakes. Besides, the trails are pretty muddy where I live. Also, the rear brake on my bike is gone (i've replaced the pads and cable to no avail), so i might as well replace it with a $70 disc, rather than a $35 pad--better deal in the long run methinks.

Thanks for all your help!
 

·
occupation : Foole
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
wzictrace said:
. The reason I'm considering going with both discs is because I need a new wheelset and most of the lighter disc wheelsets don't have a surface for wheel brakes. Besides, the trails are pretty muddy where I live. Also, the rear brake on my bike is gone (i've replaced the pads and cable to no avail), so i might as well replace it with a $70 disc, rather than a $35 pad--better deal in the long run methinks.
sounds like a plan, then :) Enjoy yer new discs when ya get them (am still on v-brakes, here.....someday, one day will go disc...)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top