Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Adding a wheel set to the Chameleon - looking for options

I'm looking for suggestions for a semi-budget friendly wheel and hub combination.
I am focusing on the rear but will get a complimentary front setup.

For reference, I feel the price point of DT 350's are reasonable with a 36t ratchet.
I'm not sure what other hub is comparable in cost and effectiveness.
Are there recommendations for a hub similarly priced with similar quality and POE? I understand the Hope Pro4 is one of the hubs compared to the DT 350. I need to research the sound though.

No idea what hoop's I'd go with except that it won't be carbon. I don't know if I'd want to go with a Race Face hoop, not sure I am set on that level of wheel, but they are stock on a lot of bikes and seem to be fine. Only name brand that I know of with a decent name are Stans. I've only just begun my research on wheels.

For reference, I have a stumpjumper with stock Roval wheels. When I THOUGHT they had DT internals I was ready to pull the trigger on the ratchet upgrade until I realized my wheels aren't DT internals. With that said, at one point I was fine with DT ratchets and am fine with a decent stock wheel. So why not purchase DT for a new wheel build?

The wheels will be 29", but unsure if I want 142 or 148. I will have the wheels built once I choose the wheels and hubs. They will be for a Chameleon that I intend to have a set of 29ers for a single speed conversion, but potentially built with a hub for a 12 speed cassette, and I'd want the XD hub for more cassette options that are not NX grade.
As for front, I'd get the same brand/series hoop and same brand hub. Maybe a lesser quality front hub if that makes sense to do.

From those of you with experience building a reasonably priced, quality wheel, what are some of your thoughts and preferences. The hoops should be at least as good as a stock bike that isn't entry level. All I can compare to is Roval wheels, and the plus sized WTB wheels on the Chameleon. I know a Stumpy can be considered entry level and honestly I have no problem with the wheels, just the POE. The WTB wheels on the Chameleon are probably bottom of the barrel models because a bike requires wheels and they meet that demand.
The bike is a 2nd bike, I share the miles pretty equally between the Stumpy and Chameleon which is why I'm not looking for some high-end, stupid expensive stuff like carbon wheels, etc.

If you can point me in the direction of manufacturers I can do the research on which of their products I'd look into.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not sure what your semi-budget means but I would look into the Industry 9 Enduro S wheel set. New Hydra hub, i30 aluminum rim (Reynolds is their wheel partner) steel spokes. They retail for 995.00 but if you're in good graces with your LBS you could most likely have them for under 900.00.

If you surf the web the previous "S" series with the Torch hubs can be had for under 700.00

Ordering straight from I9 will allow you to pick spacing and rotor mount (6 bolt or center lock) Left overs will be what they are...

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
I'm running a set of Bontrager Line Elite 30s on a Tallboy. Reasonably light, 108 poe and I greatly prefer the molded rim strip to tape. ~$600 a set.

For the other bike I build SRAM 900 hubs into asymmetric Carbonfan 29mm IW rims and have really like that setup too.

·
Registered
15,026 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
17,259 Posts
I'm looking for suggestions
350's are great hubs. I build more of them than almost all other hubs combined, and use them on several of my own bikes.

XD freehub body makes SS conversion needlessly difficult.

You haven't shared info on tire sizing/pressures so it's difficult to suggest rims.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Planned tire size is 29x2.35. Likely going with 30-31mm wheels. I typically run that size tire with 20-22 in front and a bit more in the rear (full suspension).

Interesting about the XD hub being a more complicated process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.