Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my titanium 29er hardtail but I would by lying if I said I did not miss having a FS bike. I've have a couple Anthem X 29ers and like them but they were definitely a bit sluggish. I like the idea of the 27.5 but the though of two wheel sizes takes some of the flexibility out of having your FS and hardtail in the same wheel format.

Unlike what a lot of people seem to say, I loved the way my 26" FS bikes rode/handled. I am thinking the 27.5 will feel a lot like that.

Any feedback on riding a 29er hardtail with a 27.5 FS for those fun trail days or times where a little extra cushion is welcomed ( I am almost 47 and lets face it, the FS feels better on your back)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Giant Anthem 3 27.3 in March, had been riding a 29er hardtail. The 29er is collecting dust. After riding the FS for a couple of hours my arms and back feel great. I was starting to really feel the hardtail, I am 52 so that may have something to do with it. The ride is very different and took a while to learn but the 27.5 feels so quick and nimble. Go for it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Shorten the stem and widen the bars and there's nothing sluggish about the ax 29 handling.
I actually run mine at 69.3 deg with 120 fork and an offset bush. Any steeper and it's too nimble for my liking. it's all relative. If you've got really tight trails the wider bars and shorter stem almost completely remove any feeling of truck steering.
I've got 1/2 dozen other bikes set up full 650b or B6. Wheelsize is only one factor in the package.
I've set my ax 29 so it handles simialr to my other bikes with 650b and 26. The other bikes are longer and slacker.

I still love to ride the short travel / wheelbase 29er fs for railing those open trails. Just the other day I trialled some gato 2.1's and it still amazes me how much cornering traction and comfort you can get with such a small tire in 29".
The ax 27.5 would be even more fun on some hrd pack trails but lack of rollover/ travel would limit it's fun for most my trails.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Don't let the rollover / travel worry you, I have yet to have any issues other than an occasional pedal strike if something is compressing the suspension while I am pedaling, technique change can fix that.

I went from a 29'er FS to the Anthem Advance and would do it again as well. The Anthem will do anything you need it to do, rides awesome and the bike climbs very well, lots better than my Spec Epic comp could have ever though of doing.

·
Registered
541 Posts
In the past 5 years I have bought 4 bikes. All of them 29ers with my latest purchase the AA1. I have a 09 Gary Fisher Cobia, "had" a 10 Niner RIP 9 and loved it. But for a race bike it was to heavy at 32 lbs. So I built up a 2011Niner EMD full rigid and loved it for gravel roads and some xc racing. After I yr being a full rigid I bought a Rock shox Reba for the front and man it was dialed. So I decided to unload the RIP for a John Deere D130. But after a year on the EMD i started having lower back issues. So I demoed the AA1 and loved it. Cornering flickability. ..etc. Know I own one and I don't regret it one bit!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the past 5 years I have bought 4 bikes. All of them 29ers with my latest purchase the AA1. I have a 09 Gary Fisher Cobia, "had" a 10 Niner RIP 9 and loved it. But for a race bike it was to heavy at 32 lbs. So I built up a 2011Niner EMD full rigid and loved it for gravel roads and some xc racing. After I yr being a full rigid I bought a Rock shox Reba for the front and man it was dialed. So I decided to unload the RIP for a John Deere D130. But after a year on the EMD i started having lower back issues. So I demoed the AA1 and loved it. Cornering flickability. ..etc. Know I own one and I don't regret it one bit!
Now you are making me want one even more.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Go demo one. Unbelievable how they ride.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have a custom built AA 27.5 and it both fly's on the climbs and descents. I love how much more fun the FS 27.5 is to ride vs a FS 29er.

·
Registered
541 Posts
X2 on your build. Mine was also a custom build. Came with xx rear cassette, X0 short cage rd, X0 trigger, esi grips, carbon rdo flat bar, wolf tooth 36t chain ring 1 X 10 setup,, kmc ti chain. Size large 23.14 lbs with xt pedals and carbon water bottle cage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts