Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode to the trail, hopped back on the Tallboy to go for a morning ride with my brand new chain... and nothing. Clunk and spin. First thoughts are chain broke or hopped off the chain ring (though this bike has never dropped a chain), but all was good. Cranks spin both ways without any engagement, so it looks like upgrade time.

I have a 2017 Tallboy C S build (GX parts, Novatec hubs). I'd like to take the chance to upgrade the hub but looking for suggestions. DT Swiss 350 seems like a good choice, but after adding the higher engagement ratchet kit, parts will be around $375 plus spokes, nipples, and rebuild labor. Anyone else replace their Novatec or have a good suggestion? I'd like to improve ratchet degrees of engagement, not overly loud, but keep budget in check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I joined the club today at Downieville. Had to walk/glide half the run. 2018 Hightower CS build, with novatec hubs. Pretty dramatic failure. See picture.

Did you look into whether Santa Cruz would replace the hub/wheel given the Novatec hubs they sold have clearly been defective? Hoping they will as I think they have in the past, based on other threads.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I joined the club today at Downieville. Had to walk/glide half the run. 2018 Hightower CS build, with novatec hubs. Pretty dramatic failure. See picture.

Did you look into whether Santa Cruz would replace the hub/wheel given the Novatec hubs they sold have clearly been defective? Hoping they will as I think they have in the past, based on other threads.
I didn't because my local bike shop said that SC and Novatec parted ways over this. Also my bike is a year out of warranty.

Oh well, the 350 is an awesome upgrade especially with the 54 tooth swap. I liked it so much I retro fitted the star ratchet system to my fat bikes 370.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
It took me a little over 600 miles and mine finally died yesterday. It had been making noise the last couple rides. Decided to take a chance list night. Only had to walk (coast the downhills) a mile back to my car.

What are you all replacing yours with? Sram? DT Swiss? Hope? Onyx? I'm not that hard of a rider so about any "decent" hub will work. I've got a DT Swiss 370 on another wheelset with 200 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DT 350. 370 is fine for OEM replacement but I wouldn't buy it instead of the 350. Start ratchet is simple and reliable and I haven't had a single noise since build.

Reduced degrees of ratchet engagement is awesome too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.