Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some comments, suggestions and opinions from wheel builders.....lets call it a little market research :D I have slapped together some prototype wheel building hub adpaters for for thru axle hubs. The sizes I have made are 12mm, 15mm, and 20mm. I started trying to do an "all-in-one" adapter as shown but in the smaller diameters it exceded the width of most truing stands. So I have opt'd to make individual adapters. Here are some pictures of the prototypes. The production adapters will be "single size" units.

So here is what I am after, Is this something wheel builders will buy? Before I plunk down my own cash for a quantity buy.

Attachments

·
Custom Wheelbuilder
533 Posts
its very cool!
But i dont think i would buy just because i dont build enough through axel wheels.
there are not many people out there building custom wheels like that
i think your real market may be in shops.
those things are a pain in the ass to true
so maybe those could be like the 29er extenders that people have?

·
Custom Wheelbuilder
533 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
That's intended market....but I know a lot of shop owners and employees post here.....which is why I'm asking. Heck, I don't build wheels but see the need as thru axles become more main stream.....as mtn biking has evolved.
ya i agree
the key will be to try and distribute through QBP

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to inform all the wheel builders on mtbr that I am now selling Truing Stand Thru-Axle Hub Adapters.....no more changing axles just to build a wheel. The 15mm Adapters as shown are available for immediate shipment. I'm waiting on o-rings for the 20mm & 12mm adapters.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=33362&cat=500

Attachments

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
I just use my frame/fork - i'm just ghetto that way :D
But those look really decent mtnbiker4life! - what are ya sellin them for?

·
Registered
293 Posts
how about specialized 25mm adaptors? I can not true my enduro SL front wheel at all.
Is there a need for 12mm thur axle adaptors?

$10 is cheap to be able to true your own wheel. cheap for shops also.

a universal adaptor of 15mm-20mm-25mm would be best.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
eddielee70 said:
how about specialized 25mm adaptors? I can not true my enduro SL front wheel at all.

The Park extensions I posted fit them all

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dazed said:
Problem solvers also make these. Bought some several years ago.
Yeah, but mine are better because they have o-rings to hold them in the axle when you remove the wheel. When you're building a wheel and remove it most "generic" adapters fall out but not mine....because they have the o-ring. They can sustain removal from the truing stand. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-d54UU-fPIsY/these_go_to_eleven/

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
eddielee70 said:

I can custom make you a set of 25mm adapters.....it will cost you more then the $10 since they're one-off manual machining verses CNC "set it and forget it". Actually, the 12mm rear Maxle is getting more popular with long travel frames and now their is a 10mm thru-axle rear. I tried doing a universal adapter but I was not happy with it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
This thread has turned into SPAM (and thanks for buying a classified).

If you want to discuss buying, please do so privately

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.