Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Double Bypass completed and open? I assume that's climbing trail from Brook Road? Seems like it creates a nice loop - up double bypass, down Hardy Haul, up Kimmers (which IMO is the better way to ride Kimmers), new trail at the top of Kimmers. What about the other new section, is that open - the single track between Chris Dirt Road and Haul Road?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Is Double Bypass completed and open? I assume that's climbing trail from Brook Road? Seems like it creates a nice loop - up double bypass, down Hardy Haul, up Kimmers (which IMO is the better way to ride Kimmers), new trail at the top of Kimmers. What about the other new section, is that open - the single track between Chris Dirt Road and Haul Road?
Yes, Double Bypass is open rom Brook Rd to Hardy Haul. 2nd half of the new trail is not open yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rode a portion of the new section yesterday. Agreed not very interesting but definitely better than the road.

What was most disappointing was the work trapps is doing to pave tap line and growler. Why?!! I get that they primarily cater to guests who are probably mostly inexperienced mtbers but you had some really great trail that wasn't that hard and just completely ruined it.

Is there data out there suggesting that the majority of mtbers want paved trails only? To be clear I love a bit of pump track in the middle of the forest but mostly I want some technical challenge that makes me focus while I'm riding. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
...What was most disappointing was the work trapps is doing to pave tap line and growler. Why?!! I get that they primarily cater to guests who are probably mostly inexperienced mtbers but you had some really great trail that wasn't that hard and just completely ruined it...
I rode this on Saturday and it seemed like they were just filling in spots where the duff had been pounded down and exposed tree roots. Not sure it meets the definition of paving but whatever. We found it pumpy and fun despite it being a bit slippery. I rode it last year and don't agree anything had been "completely ruined" at all. I'm not partial to any kind of trail, I like riding tech & rock as much as railing perfect berms. Hard to complain about a landowner doing trail work on their own property!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I rode this on Saturday and it seemed like they were just filling in spots where the duff had been pounded down and exposed tree roots. Not sure it meets the definition of paving but whatever. We found it pumpy and fun despite it being a bit slippery. I rode it last year and don't agree anything had been "completely ruined" at all. I'm not partial to any kind of trail, I like riding tech & rock as much as railing perfect berms. Hard to complain about a landowner doing trail work on their own property!
I ride those trails weekly and can tell you they didn't just fill in spots. There were many technical rock sections that were completely removed. I ran into the two guys working on them and asked if they were removing all the roots and rocks. Their response was "trying to".

As you said they can do whatever they want. Some people like yourself are going to like it and others like me are going to wonder why. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
I ride those trails weekly .... Some people like yourself are going to like it and others like me are going to wonder why. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Ah capitalism and the new modernity. I'm assuming you have a Trapps pass so you have your level to pull with-in that monetized system of access. Don't buy a pass. Something tells me they won't really give a **** but...

What they should be doing on those trails is blowing open all those shitty over-tight, 180 degree turns. So many instances of braking into a corner on flat or dh tread, cornering around a tree, then pedaling to get up to flow speed for the next pass....then on the brakes..... It's like they didn't understand the Wheel as a basic concept in relation to kinetic energy.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Those 'sleeper' guide stones hiding in the overgrowth - fk'n hate those!!

Edit - I will admit the overall riding experience in the area is actually pretty good!!
It get's more and more gentrified with every project. The town, the resort, and the trails they have taken over from what was once real local flavor. Parity.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ah capitalism and the new modernity. I'm assuming you have a Trapps pass so you have your level to pull with-in that monetized system of access. Don't buy a pass. Something tells me they won't really give a **** but...

What they should be doing on those trails is blowing open all those shitty over-tight, 180 degree turns. So many instances of braking into a corner on flat or dh tread, cornering around a tree, then pedaling to get up to flow speed for the next pass....then on the brakes..... It's like they didn't understand the Wheel as a basic concept in relation to kinetic energy.
Yeah I bought a pass this year and have been an advocate of the Trapps trails. In their defense it does look like they have worked to berm some of those 180 degree sharp corners. I ride up those trails and down kimmers which may help explain why I didn't love the change and others appreciate it.

There are few places in the area where you can do 20 miles of technical single track without riding in circles. Stowe, Del's ride in hinesburg, hopefully Northfield once the connection is made to Berlin pond?

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Yeah I bought a pass this year and have been an advocate of the Trapps trails. In their defense it does look like they have worked to berm some of those 180 degree sharp corners. I ride up those trails and down kimmers which may help explain why I didn't love the change and others appreciate it.

There are few places in the area where you can do 20 miles of technical single track, hopefully Northfield once the connection is made to Berlin pond?

We ride a lot of old road in Northfield. The connection has a good amount of double track along the ridge. Some talk of extending single track up towards the tower, but for now a section of it is good ol' over-steep and ledgy Jeep Road.
Sunday Berlin-Northfield-Berlin. Should be 25-35 depending on route, 4200-5200 verts. covering pretty much the entire land mass of Paine. Should be fun.

·
Registered
897 Posts
There are few places in the area where you can do 20 miles of technical single track without riding in circles. Stowe, Del's ride in hinesburg, hopefully Northfield once the connection is made to Berlin pond?
My group is coming up in two weeks and if I don't come up with an alternative, We'll end up at Cady Hill and Adams Camp again. Where in Stowe can one find 20 miles technical single track? Hell, where can I find 10 miles of technical single track in Stowe?

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
I ride those trails weekly and can tell you they didn't just fill in spots. There were many technical rock sections that were completely removed. I ran into the two guys working on them and asked if they were removing all the roots and rocks. Their response was "trying to"...
No doubt you have better knowledge of the changes than I do. We did get a chuckle at how much soil had been added in places. Sorry your backyard got neutered.

In general it's a fine line between maintenance and sanitization. As rake & ride trails get pounded down roots get exposed. The masses will try to go around them and then you end up with wide braids. To avoid massive braided root mats your choices are to add soil or remove roots to define the line. No matter what you do (even if it's nothing) not everyone is going to like it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shocking responses you guys. Never gets old, huh? Anyway, I think that whole Stowe to Richmond, and Hinesburg areas are fantastic. I can't wait to get to Stowe in a couple of weeks. All the systems up there are a blast in my opinion, and I'm looking forward to checking out the new climb up to Hardy's. A loop I think is fun - laps in Cady, bike path to Kimmers, climb to Trapps to Pipeline (via growler and tap line), then a couple more laps in Cady. I won't mention where I go for beers and burrito afterwards, that might really set you off.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
All the systems up there are a blast in my opinion, and I'm looking forward to checking out the new climb up to Hardy's. A loop I think is fun - laps in Cady, bike path to Kimmers, climb to Trapps to Pipeline (via growler and tap line), then a couple more laps in Cady. I won't mention where I go for beers and burrito afterwards, that might really set you off.
If your awesome Mountain Bike loop includes 7 miles of paved rec path, 3-4 miles of excavated and benched and surfaced McTrail, sandwiched in between laps in Cady Hill, then Stowe indeed. Great post.

At this point I find Stowe to be hilarious. It really is funny. The stories I could tell about building trail there and interacting with the "Customers" out on the trail. Really a special group of trail users.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My group is coming up in two weeks and if I don't come up with an alternative, We'll end up at Cady Hill and Adams Camp again. Where in Stowe can one find 20 miles technical single track? Hell, where can I find 10 miles of technical single track in Stowe?
Cady Hill > strawberry Hill > pipeline > tap line > growler > kimmers > Hardy haul > return

I didn't say it was super technical, but a good mix in that ride. If you want mostly technical do Del's ride.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
No doubt you have better knowledge of the changes than I do. We did get a chuckle at how much soil had been added in places. Sorry your backyard got neutered.

In general it's a fine line between maintenance and sanitization. As rake & ride trails get pounded down roots get exposed. The masses will try to go around them and then you end up with wide braids. To avoid massive braided root mats your choices are to add soil or remove roots to define the line. No matter what you do (even if it's nothing) not everyone is going to like it.
I did ride it in reverse yesterday climbing kimmers and descending growler and can't say it wasn't fun although I prefer riding it the other direction and apparently like my suffering. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.