Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody weighed the Mojo SL frame?

So far I've seen one message from a SL owner claiming the weight of the frame but has anybody else actually weighed SL frame? I know the claimed weight including the DT Swiss shock is 4.93 lb which is approx. 2.240 g but what about the actual weight?

I would be especially interested in the weight of the size XL frame since that is the size which I have ordered.

·
Ride More Work Less
372 Posts
SL frame weighs about 130g less than Mojo frame. Read the reviews on this site to see if you think DT Swiss or RP23 shock is for you. Reviews are good for both shocks. You can get the other weight savings by purchasing the new links and Ti bolts.

Only you can decide if the lower weight SL frame is worth the $$.

·
Registered
33 Posts
4.93 for a medium? Seems that IBIS probably should fix up their website since they are claiming that a LARGE weighs 4.93lbs.

"4.93 lbs frame and shock weight size large. Our brains were hurting after spending..." - http://ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojosl/ on 1/21/2008

While I imagine that they will have some variation in weights, unless that large size has something different about the design there is no way it can weigh the same or in some cases less than the medium. Perhaps the 4.93lbs large size weight is literally the shock and the frame, i.e. no linkage, seat collar or other important bits.

With the main push of the SL being it's lighter weight I think IBIS should post some production frame weights on their specification pages. If real world production caused the frame to be heavier than the prototypes, while that would suck, customers should be informed of the updated specifications.

I too am waiting (weighting?) for an XL frame. Based on the weight of a medium being near 5lbs I would guess the XL is going to be 5.5 to 6lbs. The main reason I pulled out the extra cash for the SL was the better paint and the lock out SSD carbon shock. Even though it was an extra ~$400 I think it will be worth it. My old Specialized stumpjumper had a nice matte finish that was able to wear extremely well giving me a good used price for it after 3 years of hard riding. A glossy finish would never look even half as good after the 3 years I put on that bike.

Sorry if the post seems a little cold... it must be the shoveling snow at -15F this morning. Less than a week ago it was in the 40s and perfect for early season riding.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
sas2 said:
How much weight it´s saved from the frame alone (without the shock)?
Is it worth to buy the sl with the rp23 or in this case the "old" one will do?
A point being missed here is the new paint and uhm carbon (Ultra High Modulus vs High Modulus) carbon weave. ( making sl about 5% stronger and stiffer for a rough estimate). While this does not matter much cause the moj classic is allready plenty strong, the paint is a different story.
The paint has never been used in the bike industry before and it seems to be tough as hell. At least from the results I've seen on some demo bikes. Some of the paint jobs look really rough on the standard moj after a couple of years. Most guys are covering their painted moj classics with all sorts of helicoper grade tape etc to address this.
Honestly I would probably order and sl with rp23 (save 200 bucks) which is the shock the moj was originally designed for and save the extra money to have it tuned with a moj specific tune at push industries.
I would imagine the dt swiss shock will have allot more issues (like I've read about many warranty send backs to europe on their forks) Note, not that fox haven't had some issues (here in US.)
But, I allready have an rp23 I can use on the bike and I wanted to have the extra shock to play with.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Hans!

smkndrgn:

In my opinion Ibis seem more realistic than usually in relation to the claimed weights if the actual weight of the size M Mojo SL frame is close to 4.93 lbs. Many manufacturers are a lot more optimistic when claiming weights.

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Currently the main issue with the SL's is scarcity, if you want one is going to be a long wait. I still think that the Mojo Naked (the original) is still the prettiest of the bunch.

In regards to the weight of the bikes. The Naked Mojo is 5.75 lbs, haven't weighed a Mojo SL since the show so I will have to go off the new weights.

Here some specs on a Medium...

Mojo: 5.75 lbs
Mojo SL: 4.95 lbs
Diff: -.8 lbs

Why the differences:

Rear Shock:

RP23 210g
DT Swiss carbon 160g
-50g

Lighter lower link
-10g

Ti bolts
-35g

SL Seatpost clamp
-50g

Total parts diff:
-145g or -.32 lbs

That leaves a Frame diff
-.48 lbs or 218 g

The weight diff is due to:
lighter frame (different carbon layup)
carbon headset cups
carbon dropouts
carbon seat tube insert

Yes it would be ideal to have a Mojo and a Mojo SL in house for a weight weenie scale shoot off, got scale down to .1 g accuracy, but I am going to have to go off approximations for now, but its still pretty ballpark figures, you cannot get the last .5lbs +/- from the Mojo to become a Mojo SL

Peace.

·
Registered
696 Posts
medium mojo and medium mojo sl weights

I have an medium original nude carbon mojo with rp23 and qr seatpost binder at 5.68 lbs on my seemingly-pretty-accurate scale.
I just got my medium sl and it's 5.02 lbs with qr seatpost binder and dt shock.

they're both incredibly sexy looking machines and having ridden the mojo for about a year now, I'm totally sold on these bikes...I really don't care a lot about how much they weigh...they pedal incredibly well and are super stiff laterally.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.