Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the actual weight of fox RP3 rear shock and vanila RL ? fox told me RP3 is 195gm and vanilla RL is 620gm. That 's the manufactuer estimate weight. I am not sure I believe them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My RP3 weighs...

Picard said:
Does anyone know the actual weight of fox RP3 rear shock and vanila RL ? fox told me RP3 is 195gm and vanilla RL is 620gm. That 's the manufactuer estimate weight. I am not sure I believe them.
About 215 grams thats with the alluminum reducers... (6.5 x 1.5). So it is pretty light. I know the Vanilla RL is way over a pound so 620 grams is probably right.

Jag

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Picard said:
As you're seeing with the posts....it depends on the lenght of the shock in question and whether it has bushing and reducers installed. In the case of the coil shock......the same things apply in addition to what rate spring is on it.

Manufacturers tend to quote the lightest weights. You can assume that if they don't post the details.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
6.5"x1.5"

Picard said:
My 6.5"x1.5" with 22mm and 41mm reducers weigh 237g. My 5th Element Air in the same dimensions weigh 257g.

BTW, my 5th is a few mm short of the claimed 165mm lengt. Weird...

Ole.

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
Picard said:
These weights were taken on a $2k scientific scale at work

Shock size 7.5 x 2.0

rp3 Weight = 238.44g (WITH spacers)

DHX 5.0 = 799.45g
w/550lb Spring (and spacers)

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
mtn hack said:
These weights were taken on a $2k scientific scale at work
Shock size 7.5 x 2.0
rp3 Weight = 238.44g (WITH spacers)
By "spacers", do you mean the DU bearings or eyelet reducers?

Is your scale within calibration specs?

·
1,285 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Kevin,
you sure that thing is accurate? My walmart bathroom scale says differently ;)
Yeah Jamie, I don't know what to trust. I weigh my ride before and after switching the DHX for the rp3 and the bike lost 1.8 lb. The scientific scale says I should have lost only 561g. Maybe I should go with the bathroom scale. :D Instant weight weenie savings at zero cost.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
mtn hack said:
What are DU bearings?
And yes, it is within specs. It was just serviced a month and a half ago.
DU "bearings" are the bushings in the shock eyelets. To get a comparable weight for any shock, you should remove the eyelet reducers because they throw off the actual shock weight.

·
1,285 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
DU "bearings" are the bushings in the shock eyelets. To get a comparable weight for any shock, you should remove the eyelet reducers because they throw off the actual shock weight.
Well, that is with the bushings. I am not sure if there were any reducers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.