Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their A-Tec BB spindle not fitting in the bearings well?

One side of the spindle will slide in with some effort and light oil and only if perfectly aligned.
The other side however will not slide into either bearing. I have not actually tired to install it in the frame though (since I don't have the frame yet :( ) and I'm sure this will help. I believe that if I put the spindle in the freezer, it will shrink enough to slide in the bearings. Has anyone else tried this :confused:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmm - that`s odd. I`ve got two ATec BB`s and though they are a tight fit I`ve never had problems inserting the spindle ends into the cup bearings. I would say they are a "press" fit, and do insert into the bearings much better when the BB is already frame mounted.

Is it a new unit? If yes call ATec with your concerns. If not, measure the inside diameter of both bearings with vernier calipers (accurate). One side may be different then the other.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didn't think to measure with calipers (doh)

yeah, the one side is definately a press fit, I'm just worried that the other side is a press-too-hard fit

thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I had this exact problem with my first Action Tec BB spindle. I measured one side at 16.95mm while the other was at 17.08. The bearings are about 17mm (didn't measure it) so one side slid in just fine and the other would not go in no matter what I did. I sent an email to Action Tec and they responded that they had a few of these get out. Seems they do all of the machining in-house except for the final machining on the bearing surfaces. My replacement axle took some time to arrive because of the holidays but it finally came. The new spindle measured at 16.98 so it was a tight fit but it did fit.

Good luck with your spindle!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My spindle measured 16.99 mm on my fairly accurate calipers. The bearing inner diameters were between 16.95 and 16.99. I was able to get the spindle in one of the bearings by freezing the spindle first and was able to get it in the other bearing by some light sanding with fine polishing sandpaper. It is still tight, but not as much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.