Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after readin' some of the recent threads on the ACS freewheels and the dreaded clunk, of which I had been sufferin'. I attempted to oil mine thru the unsealed gap on the front plate which sorta helped but I wasn't satisfied. I removed the front plate but was reluctant to add grease it just didn't seem like it would help to add grease on just the bearings and I wasn't gonna open it any futher. So I removed the entire freewheel and low and behold there lay 4 shall we say grease ports? I then took a light weight lithium grease filled syringe and started shooting till it oozed out the other side. The result, so far, a quiet smooth claw... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I soaked mine in 30wt oil after thoroughly cleaning it in a bath of mineral spirits. I too had a nice quiet ACS claw freewheel. I e-mailed ACS and they said I cleaned and lubed it right. They also said they've had complaints like mine in the past and it is mysterious (then can't explain it because everything is locked up when pedalling).

Good Luck.
GP
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
48,237 Posts
Ron said:
Well after readin' some of the recent threads on the ACS freewheels and the dreaded clunk, of which I had been sufferin'. I attempted to oil mine thru the unsealed gap on the front plate which sorta helped but I wasn't satisfied. I removed the front plate but was reluctant to add grease it just didn't seem like it would help to add grease on just the bearings and I wasn't gonna open it any futher. So I removed the entire freewheel and low and behold there lay 4 shall we say grease ports? I then took a light weight lithium grease filled syringe and started shooting till it oozed out the other side. The result, so far, a quiet smooth claw... :D
Grease inside the ratchets is not a good idea. With age the grease collects dirt and thickens filling in the ratchet and prevents the pawls from engaging. It can also gum up the pawls themselves.

I have heard of making a mixture of 1 part Phil Wood grease and 2 parts Tenuous Oil and injecting it through the holes in the back.

I just soak them. Much easier.
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
My ACS and Sh*mano freewheels happily enjoy a Mobil 1 bath from time to time.

I have a few soakin' it up in there whilst I romp around fixie-style. Give 'em a spin once in awhile.....keeps 'em happy.

Fully synthetic bathing is habitual in my household.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
So let me get this straight...ya'll just pour some oil into a bowl and place the ACS in there and let it soak? How long do you leave it in there to soak?
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Some of mine have been soaking in Mobil 1 gear oil for many many months. YMMV.

I stick some kinda screwdriver or something in there every once in awhile and give the inner portion a spin or three....lotsa old nasty stuff comes out of 'em.

I'm running fixie only now....so mine have been in there for a long time. Won't hurt 'em.

I'd say maybe twenty four hours for yours.





BigSur said:
So let me get this straight...ya'll just pour some oil into a bowl and place the ACS in there and let it soak? How long do you leave it in there to soak?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
48,237 Posts
BigSur said:
So let me get this straight...ya'll just pour some oil into a bowl and place the ACS in there and let it soak? How long do you leave it in there to soak?
I use a quart size yogurt container, half filled with Mobil 1. Drop in the FW, Spin it once in a while with a screwdriver. I soak it at least over night then put a screwdriver through it and hang it over the container to drain before re-mounting.
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
As I said.

Brother Shig.

Amazing how much old nasty stuff arises when you "spin 'em"....eh?

I must admit to having a three year old ACS 18 tooth freewheel that continues to behave as new. She's been on four bikes now.






shiggy??? said:
I use a quart size yogurt container, half filled with Mobil 1. Drop in the FW, Spin it once in a while with a screwdriver. I soak it at least over night then put a screwdriver through it and hang it over the container to drain before re-mounting.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
48,237 Posts
xrmattaz said:
Brother Shig.

Amazing how much old nasty stuff arises when you "spin 'em"....eh?

I must admit to having a three year old ACS 18 tooth freewheel that continues to behave as new. She's been on four bikes now.
A have an old 22t that knocks like you are beating on the frame with a hammer but still works just fine.
 

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
i also have done the soak. i used marine outboard oil, because i had some in the garage. it worked really well.
i only did it once, when it was clunky. then it was working fine. then i got an ENO. the acs still works fine, though.
 

·
King Pin
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Ot

Shiggy,

Have you not tried the fixie thing?

Just wonderin'. Seems to me a nice MC frame and such longs to be ridden fixed. Matt's doin' it....Rudi's doin' it. I'm doin' it on my Sofa King with WTB's.

Just wonderin' out loud. Gotta love them dirt drops, tho. I've now three. Had some nigh on twenty years ago and hated 'em with a passion.....now I love those little curvy handlybars.





shiggy©®™ said:
A have an old 22t that knocks like you are beating on the frame with a hammer but still works just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Clunk mystery not a mystery!

The famous clunk originate from play in the bearings. To solve this problem you need to screw the top cap further on to the thread. this is done by replacing one of the steel spacers with one or two paper spacers. Simply use one of the steel spacers as templet. This procedure might be necessary to repeat after a while as the bearings get worn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
This is weird...

but I had a dream last night about the freewheel dipping. I read this thread yesterday and had a dream last night where I pulled my freewheel and dropped it in a bucket of Mobil 1. Jeez, I need to get a life. Funny thing is none of my single speeds are freewheel - they're either fixed or cassette! If checking out internet sites = dreams for me, I'll see y'all later. I'm heading over to some porn sites. Sweet dreams :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
48,237 Posts
xrmattaz said:
Shiggy,

Have you not tried the fixie thing?

Just wonderin'. Seems to me a nice MC frame and such longs to be ridden fixed. Matt's doin' it....Rudi's doin' it. I'm doin' it on my Sofa King with WTB's.

Just wonderin' out loud. Gotta love them dirt drops, tho. I've now three. Had some nigh on twenty years ago and hated 'em with a passion.....now I love those little curvy handlybars.
I have a fixie wheel for it. I have ridden it around the neighborhood but not on the trails yet. The Chester is prefect for it as the rear brake is mounted on the hub, not the frame so it looks very clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
so, that's what the friggin' clunking is!!

i just replaced the shimano that came on the bike with an ACS claw. i started noticing a clunking and have not been able to find out where the hell it was coming from.

so, soaking it in oil will alleviate the annoying clunking sound??
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top