Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

So I didn't know there is a forum dedicated for peps like me.
On the 16.4.21 I fell from my bike and tore my ACL. Started prehab and than partially (or fully) tore my ACL on the other leg.

Waited for surgery but the pain I have doesn't allow me to proceed as plan.

But, I'm still building my bike, even if I won't be back, at least I'll have something sweet to look at!
Oh yeah, don't let this nice process fool you - I'm in depression due to the injury.. so..

What's your story guys? Anyone has the same experience?

Oh..
And I'll update this thread on a monthly basis, just for me to follow-up or for peps who interested as well.

Cheers,
M

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
With one I can live, but with two - well, that's kind of hard :(
You can but it makes things really frustrating and difficult.

People don't think you need them for MTB, I would disagree. We're not sitting and spinning, and despite biking being closed chain for most things (your feet say "on the ground", not one off or one on), there's a lot of time you need the stability in your legs (rough terrain, hard corners, switchbacks) that is really does help.

Can you get them fixed bilaterallly or one at a time?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can but it makes things really frustrating and difficult.

People don't think you need them for MTB, I would disagree. We're not sitting and spinning, and despite biking being closed chain for most things (your feet say "on the ground", not one off or one on), there's a lot of time you need the stability in your legs (rough terrain, hard corners, switchbacks) that is really does help.

Can you get them fixed bilaterallly or one at a time?
I totally agree. I mean, one rehab could be fairly hard but manageable.. but two are intense.

Just going for the doctor today to let me know what do we do next. He said that I don't need two surgeries, only one to reconstruct my left leg. - but things aren't getting better so I'm paying him a visit today.

·
Registered
210 Posts
How do you feel today? And also, why didn't you reconstructed it?
circumstances didn't allow, I had just started a new job and was on probation, I didn't have the money for being unemployed and medical bills. if I missed any time I would have lost the job, I now have 20 years with the company. I started wearing braces to protect the knees when I do sports so was good there while young. once I got to a certain point it became a non issue. but now that I'm older I need it fixed. I was planning to do one this summer after vacation but while on vacation I crashed and now have a separated shoulder that has me out of work for 8 weeks. so I'll plan for next year. the worst part is arthritis has set in and is painful.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
circumstances didn't allow, I had just started a new job and was on probation, I didn't have the money for being unemployed and medical bills. if I missed any time I would have lost the job, I now have 20 years with the company. I started wearing braces to protect the knees when I do sports so was good there while young. once I got to a certain point it became a non issue. but now that I'm older I need it fixed. I was planning to do one this summer after vacation but while on vacation I crashed and now have a separated shoulder that has me out of work for 8 weeks. so I'll plan for next year. the worst part is arthritis has set in and is painful.
Do you think you need to reconstruct it? Studies suggest it's not needed or recommended down the road.

Say,
Have you ridden hardtail and it works ok for your knees?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you think you need to reconstruct it? Studies suggest it's not needed or recommended down the road.

Say,
I've only ridden hardtail long enough to know I wanted a fulls suspension bike. up until 5 years ago I was still competing in mototrials which I hope to go back to one day. it really bothers me walking downhill or downstairs. but total knee replacement is in my future for sure instead of reconstruct. to much arthritis in the joint. today surgeries are much better than when I originally hurt my knees so I would assume you would make out better, hopefully you are younger than I am and would recover faster too. my biggest enemy is the lack of carthlige so the joint takes a lot of abuse and my range of motion is getting really bad. I wish I would have gotten it fixed years ago but my life situations weren't an option at the time.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts

Say,
Studies that you're riding are bullshit. Send me the link. I'll send them hate mail and call them out too.

I tore my ACL when I was 14. Got it fixed at 38. Should have done it much sooner. Not fixing your ACL is a great way to tear up your meniscus. I had the posterior 1/3 of the medial (inside) mensicus removed since it had so much damage. Not worth it. Because now I'm looking at a knee replacement eventually in my future.

The problem with these "studies" don't take into account your physical exercise. They assume you only want to walk the dog, not return to your normal habits. Pretty sure these people who have written these studies aren't living with a bum ACL either.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Studies that you're riding are bullshit. Send me the link. I'll send them hate mail and call them out too.

I tore my ACL when I was 14. Got it fixed at 38. Should have done it much sooner. Not fixing your ACL is a great way to tear up your meniscus. I had the posterior 1/3 of the medial (inside) mensicus removed since it had so much damage. Not worth it. Because now I'm looking at a knee replacement eventually in my future.

The problem with these "studies" don't take into account your physical exercise. They assume you only want to walk the dog, not return to your normal habits. Pretty sure these people who have written these studies aren't living with a bum ACL either.
I'm not questioning it.. just saying that studies said otherwise. And yeah, the authors are biased for sure.

I just want to get back to basic activities I had before :)

BTW,
The doc said he now feels that the legs are stable and it is possibly healing naturally. I need at least two month of PT and than we'll speak again.

Abusive process.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm here to update. The doctor and PT did another manual tests and they found out that:
1. My left leg with the fully torn ACL isn't fully torn
2. The right leg with the torn ACL isn't torn
3. I might be getting out without surgery!

So I ordered another MRI (here it's free if a sports surgeon orders it).

The results amazed me:
1. Left leg, ACL fibers reattaching - 90 precent torn, but, it can still heal per the doctor.
2. Right leg ACL is fully intact (small cyst is present)

Started doing a lot of hydrotherapy which helps!

Cheers,
Mor

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, OP, many of us have been there. I don't have injury specific advice but I will say build that bike, keep looking at it and remember this: Your injury will improve if you follow medical advice and keep working at it, don't be afraid of physical therapy and be patient. You'll have long days of riding pain free in the future it's all there waiting for you. I know it isn't easy but try to forgive yourself for the injury and enjoy all the good things in life you still have, I wish you the best!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.