Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Three flats in two days !!

I'm running Exi's with Salsa [Kenda] lightweight tubes @ 30 psi front and rear.

3 rear tire flats in two days after a good run with hardly any for a while.

One thorn flat, one snakebite and one from a slipped rim tape.

Seriously considering the "Slime" lightweight tubes to see if I can remain flat-free for a decent ride.

What are these tubes like? Anyone used them on a 29'er?

Sitting on the side of the trail, the rear wheel at my feet, struggling to get the tire off the rim so I can patch the tube in the dim light whilst being eaten alive by flies and mozzies is not fun.

Doing it three times in two days is a pita.

Thanks,

R.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
You didn't puncture them, the thorns managed to get in where the tube had melted away. Australia is on the news here now, self combusting(sp) forests? Never thought I'd say this, but maybe try tubeless :)

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hot?

Well Cloxxki, it has been very hot here..:)

Over the weekend I thought that I was going to self-combust a few times...lol.

Tubeless? hmmmm.. dunno about that ... as the manufacturers don't recommend it.

I fitted a Hutchinson green tube [26"] in the rear tire to see if that will stop the punctures.

They used to work well in my little wheeled bikes, so maybe they can do the trick in my 29'er as well.

I ordered a few Slimey tubes from SpeedGoat. If the green hutchinson punctures i'll probably try the slimey ones.

[ I can see it now ........ me sitting on the side of the trail miles from nowhere with a flat tire, covered in flies, mozzies and green slime ... like a big green fly-catcher. :( ]

Ohhhh, the shame... heheheh..

R.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Rainman said:
Well Cloxxki, it has been very hot here..:)

Over the weekend I thought that I was going to self-combust a few times...lol.

Tubeless? hmmmm.. dunno about that ... as the manufacturers don't recommend it.

I fitted a Hutchinson green tube [26"] in the rear tire to see if that will stop the punctures.

They used to work well in my little wheeled bikes, so maybe they can do the trick in my 29'er as well.

I ordered a few Slimey tubes from SpeedGoat. If the green hutchinson punctures i'll probably try the slimey ones.

[ I can see it now ........ me sitting on the side of the trail miles from nowhere with a flat tire, covered in flies, mozzies and green slime ... like a big green fly-catcher. :( ]

Ohhhh, the shame... heheheh..

R.
I'm with Cloxxi, go tubeless. To heck with the manufacturers, in the real world, it's a good thing, with far less, but still potential, drawbacks. I would never say, do these, and there will be peace in the universe, but they are far less troublesome than tubes (for me), I haven't ridden them in years. I have both Stans'd bikes, and UST wheels with non UST tires, with Stan's fluid. My 29er is running DT 7.1's, Little Albert in the back, and an Ignitor in the front. Both with Stan's, no issues, even though I have the not recommended Kevlar beads.The Slime tubes, do the job, but more slowly, heavily, and fill your tire with goo in the process, a nasty mess ensues when you do have to take the tire out, and the valves frequently clog, fun! =:)

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmm..

I'm currently running wire-beaded WTB Exi's. I wonder if anyone else is running Stans with these tires without any problems?

R.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Rainman said:
I'm currently running wire-beaded WTB Exi's. I wonder if anyone else is running Stans with these tires without any problems?

R.
I am running wire beaded Exis tubeless running 'generic' Stans -- no problems. In fact, the Exi was the easiest 29er tire to bead-up that I've tried. Good stuff!!

·
16,470 Posts
Rainman said:

R.
As I said above, I'm not, but I find that the wire bead tires are very tough to get "aired up" the first time (when new), they're just crabbier than foldables. However, mount them with tubes for a week or so, and that seems to prime them a bit, which helps get it done. Also, if you do Stan's make you life easier, it can be done with a foot pump, but a compressor is THE way to go. Ride hard.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like I will give the Stans a try then.. I have a compressor here too. :)

Just one thing.... if I flat the Stans out in the bush, I just use a tube to get home, right?

So what is the advantage in this then? I still have to put a tube into the tire to get going again, right?

I can't see where using the Stans ... apart from the weight saving .. has a big advantage.

Enlighten me please.. :)

I've used tubes all my cycling life, never tried Stans before.

R.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Reduced pinch flats and thorn flats. I had a stick the size of a pencil go through one of my tires, I pulled it out and it spit for a second ,I then point the puncture at the ground and it quite leaking, got on my bike and road another 1.5 hours . I've also pulled over 4 thorms from one of my tires after I got home from a ride, no leaks, no noticeable pressure loss. I have bent a rim bead hard enough to dislodge my tubless system, YES I did have to put a tube in( simply removed the rim strip). I would have had to do this even with a tube. If you get allot of thorns you will love the Stans.I have NOT had a punture type flat( Thorn or stick) and with the exception of a bent rim a pinch flat in three years. I'm sold on it, in case you can't tell.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
..Ok, fair enough..

I'll get the Stans and give it a go.

I guess i'll need the strips and sealant, etc.. it looks easy enough.. :)

Thanks,

R.

·
16,470 Posts
Enoch said:
Reduced pinch flats and thorn flats. I had a stick the size of a pencil go through one of my tires, I pulled it out and it spit for a second ,I then point the puncture at the ground and it quite leaking, got on my bike and road another 1.5 hours . I've also pulled over 4 thorms from one of my tires after I got home from a ride, no leaks, no noticeable pressure loss. I have bent a rim bead hard enough to dislodge my tubless system, YES I did have to put a tube in( simply removed the rim strip). I would have had to do this even with a tube. If you get allot of thorns you will love the Stans.I have NOT had a punture type flat( Thorn or stick) and with the exception of a bent rim a pinch flat in three years. I'm sold on it, in case you can't tell.
I just stopped by to say that. A better testimonial does not exist. I could do no better=:) The only thing I would add is a friend just pulled a tire off, 3 huge hawthorns in it, no pressure loss, who knows how long they were there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.