Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'5 with an inseam of 25 inches (yes 25 inches only).

I'm currently using a DJ frame size 14 but i don't do DJ and just use it for going up and down hills for exercise and losing weight. I just got the frame because its the smallest size that i could find at the time.

My elbows and arms easily get tired when I'm riding and I feel that the handlebar is too close to the seat (with an 80mm stem).

I'm now looking for an XC frame that would have a longer top tube but I'm having trouble looking for something that won't hit my nuts when i stand up (the 14 frame still hit my nuts a bit though).

Should i change the frame? Get a longer stem? Adjust something in the bike? Any suggestion is appreciated.

*Black bike is mine, the other one is my wife's bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
How did you measure your inseam? Did you do as below?

Stand with your back against a wall and spread your feet 6-8" apart.
Place a book between your legs and up against the wall, spine up; raise it until snug against your crotch (this mimics your bike seat).
Have another person measure from the top of the book (spine) down to the floor.

It's not unusual to have some touching when standing over the bike and its easy enough to lean the bike to the side for extra clearance. I've never had a crash that left me standing over the top tube flatfooted so I'm not overly worried about trying to get 2 inches of clearance there.

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
You may have a challenging time because you are outside the norm manufacturers design for. Go for the best fit seated and standing while riding and compromise on standover. It doesn't effect you as you ride. You step on a pedal to get going on a bike and that is above the ground level by several inches. Standover is for when you are in a shop with your feet on a flat level floor not a trail.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Have you tried moving the stem lower? Your bars are high in relation to your seat. This can make climbing hills suck.

Looking at the picture, it appears that you have a ton of spacers installed under the stem, which means you have a lot of room to experiment with - are you familiar with how to adjust the height of your stem along the steerer tube?

In order to save your nuts, avoid ever straddling your bike. Lean and dismount to the sides.

Also, I don't think you're doing yourself any favor with that seat. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep. that's how i measured it. got 25-26 inches varying on how i stand up (straight up or leaning a bit).

How did you measure your inseam? Did you do as below?

Stand with your back against a wall and spread your feet 6-8" apart.
Place a book between your legs and up against the wall, spine up; raise it until snug against your crotch (this mimics your bike seat).
Have another person measure from the top of the book (spine) down to the floor.

It's not unusual to have some touching when standing over the bike and its easy enough to lean the bike to the side for extra clearance. I've never had a crash that left me standing over the top tube flatfooted so I'm not overly worried about trying to get 2 inches of clearance there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the LBS in my area told me i had to cut the fork to lower the stem or else the excess length of the fork will be sticking up. is it really ok to cut it? won't there be a problem if i decide to change the frame?

and about the fat seat, iv'e tried normal seats even cushioned ones, still gives me butt ache. guess I still have to lose some more weight to get comfy with normal seats. my LBS has limited seats to offer, i'll also try looking for more comfy ones when i
have some time to visit other shops.
Have you tried moving the stem lower? Your bars are high in relation to your seat. This can make climbing hills suck.

Looking at the picture, it appears that you have a ton of spacers installed under the stem, which means you have a lot of room to experiment with - are you familiar with how to adjust the height of your stem along the steerer tube?

In order to save your nuts, avoid ever straddling your bike. Lean and dismount to the sides.

Also, I don't think you're doing yourself any favor with that seat. ;)

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Well, it looks like there are a number of spacers under your stem, and the steerer tube on your fork is really long. What this will let you do is experiment with a bunch of different heights without having to cut anything unless and until you find that you like what the change does.

Basically, you can pull the stem off, remove any number of spacers, slide the stem back on into a lower position, and then re-install the spacers you previously removed ABOVE the stem. You can test a bunch of different positions and see if it helps. I'd suggest starting by to dropping it 2 inches and see how that feels before doing anything else. There are tons of 'how-to' videos and write-ups floating around, it's pretty straightforward mechanically.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Another thing is that the location of the saddle MIGHT put you in a place where you are out of balance when seated. Is there room to slide the seat forward or back?
My legs are on the short side, and my proportions are such that on many bike frames I need to move the seat back, to be balanced.

If you have not ridden much, all bike seats are uncomfortable. No matter what seat or what shorts. People get over it. It is best to keep rides short until your backside gets used to being on a bike seat. I like firm seats because I just sink into soft ones, and get lots of chafing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And so i went to a bike shop to fit some bikes and settled with a size 16 frame. Though it grazes my nuts, the standover difference with the 14 Venzo and 16 Merida isn't that much and i get a more comfortable riding position with the 16. And i also cut the fork around 1 1/2 to 2 inches to bring down the handlebar.

I also wanted to buy one of those sexy strace thor saddles but my wife insisted i stick my fat ass with the fat ass saddle :D

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts