Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a lenz levi (sorry no photos yet) but the decals are scratched. devin has offered to send new decals . THANKS . What do I need to do to take the decals off (I'm scared i'm gonna mess the paint up.

in an unrelated story, my lost 29er has been discovered..... stay tuned...

-jv

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Acetone shouldn't hurt the paint, but it'll dissolve some plastics.

Wait a minute!! Scratched Decals!!!! Who the HELL CARES!!!!! That's a badge of friggin Honor man!

-M

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
When I worked at a fine furnishings store in college we used lighter fluid to remove adhesive residue from stickers on $200 Faberge' plates. If it's safe to use on a $200 bread and butter plate, it's probably safe on bike paint.

I prefered Ronsonol to Zippo fluid. It doesn't stink like Zippo fluid, and it seems to do a better job. I still use it to this day to remove adhesive residue, and I've never noticed any marring of paint/clearcoat.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Aren't the Lenz bikes annodized? If so, there should not be a problem with gettiing the stickers off there with some solvent. Devin himself should be able to clue you in nicely.

Got your bike back, that will be a good story I imagine.

p.s. don't forget to wear rubber gloves while using the acetone...

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Acetone is a very fast evaporating solvent and is what is found in alot of finger nail polish removers. It sould remove the glue residue fine and will not harm the anodize (or powder coat, Devin does powder coat some frames). Lighter fluid is made from Hi-flash Naptha which is a petroleum based product, it too will remove the glue residue and will not harm the finish, but has a tendency to leave a oily film if not cleaned after use. If its oily the new decals will not adhere properly.

I would recommend using the Acetone on a lightly dampened rag with not alot of pressure when rubbing, the glue should come right off.

Steve

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for advice - mineral spirits

gearless said:
WD-40 to be the best, followed up with plain rubbing alcohol to remove the WD- residue.
hey- girlfriend hs mineral spirits so going with that. lost 29er discovered but not yet acquired. stay tuned...

-jv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.