Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? Seriously. I want to be able to accurately measure tire pressure in the range of 15-20 psi. I'm using gauges from SKS and AccuGauge right now (pic attached) plus the dial built into my Lezyne steel drive floor pump. The SKS is by far the worst of the three, giving me wildly different reading every time I use it. The two analog gauges seem to be more consistent but they don't come close to agreeing and they seem don't seem to be very precise in this range. Can anyone recommend an accurate gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
I found the same thing (digital = sporadic readings).
I decided on one analogue and use that consitently.
So although the PSI readings may be off, they're at least consistent enough that I can gauge what
pressure I desire on a given day (dry = 25 PSI, wet = 20 PSI).

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,621 Posts
Accurate to .1 lb / .1%, and temperature compensated.

massive over-kill ;)

I also use the accu-gage.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm in the 30 PSI Accugauge camp as well. I don't know why, but the digital gauges I was using previously always died after a few months. I ride with them in my pack, so maybe they just aren't good with vibrations. Anyway, it's easy to get on, easy to bleed and consistent. Plus cheap.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I have a Blackburn gauge that is consistent.
I also have a Lezyne Overdrive that is consistent.
They don't read the same as each other, but the difference between the two also remains constant, so I don't care.
I had an SKS and the only problem I had with it was the rubber O-ring tended to wear and let air out.

·
Combat Wombat
1,883 Posts
Weird, the old sks gauge I use is really consistent and seemingly accurate.
I also had a SKS gauge for years and it was always very accurate. It eventually started to get temperamental on getting a good fit to the valve and I replaced it with a Topeak Shuttle digital gauge. The Topeak Shuttle is pricey for a gauge, but found it read exactly the same as the SKS, very easy to use and also has the option of connecting it to my floor pump. I do have a 0-30 psi Accugauge in my toolbox, it is also very consistent and I just keep in mind that it reads 1.5 psi higher than the Topeak.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,801 Posts
Huh. I've had that same SKS Airchecker for years and it has always been consistent. Actually, every gauge I've owed has been consistent, if not accurate. I had 30 psi and 60 psi Accu-Gages that were so wildly off that I wondered if they somehow put the wrong internals in them.

·
off to ride
256 Posts
I just ordered this Topeak digital gauge, I've only had it since Saturday but it seems to be pretty consistent with two other gauges I have - my Specialized floor pump that is 10-12 yrs old as well as the digital auto gauge I use on with my compressor. Across all three, the pressure has been consistent. I was surprised the floor pump was consistent with both being that it's older. But, works for me.

but, here's the link to the Topeak gauge - I tried to get one local, but the only thing in stock at LBS was a $100 Lezyne gauge and I'm not gonna spend that on a gauge :)

Topeak Digital Air Pressure Gauge

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.