Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please advise me ?
I have just purchased a set of DH light bicycle 35mm wide 650b hookless rims.
Their website states the ERD as 551mm ( which i suspect is the AM version of the rim). I've been searching on the internet for actual measurements of the DH version of the rim (450g version), and there is hardly any information available.

There seems to be a few posts which say 551mm works, to the spokes ended up a few mm to short !

I have am building up the wheels with Hope Pro 2, 32hole 3x, with Wheelsmith DB14.

I have put my spoke order on hold while I wait for confirmation of ERD. Light bicycle have not responded to my queries.

Appreciate if someone can provide the information.
Cheers
RIch

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
For what it's worth : LB state that AM and DH have the same ERD (551mm). Rims are 3 weeks out. I'll update if measurements are off from spec.

Rims have arrived ;
Both measure at 551mm, rim weights are 433 and 445g for the 32h version, matte ud

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
wheels are completed. I built these myself on hope pro 2 hubs, 3x 32 hole, WS DB14spokes and 12mm brass nipples. Spoke calculators indicated I would need 266 and 268mm spokesfor the front and 266 on the rear.

After tensioning up the wheels and stress relief, a final inspection shows the end of the spoke to be about 1 mm below the nipple screw driver slot on both the front and rear.

I would recommend for future builds to use use 267 and 269 mm instead. Though you could also get away with 268 and 270mm which would still be about a 1-2 mm away from bottoming out ( ie running out of thread on the spoke)

Last update : spoke tension was very uniform, within 5% variability per spoke on each side. DS to NDS was about 19 vs 22 ( on the park tool). I am pretty pleased with my first wheel build, less than 1mm lateral and vertical wobble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts