Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I accidentally won THIS EBAY AUCTION recently. I never thought I would win with that bid....but never-the-less, I now own an On One Inbred 29er. I was planning to enter the 29er fold a bit later in the season with the new Raleigh XXIX or Haro Mary. I have only just begun to really research this particular bike & tho I had known they were relatively well thought of, there's not much aside from geometry that i am familiar with. In particular, what concerns/ considerations do you think I need to be aware of with this design (apparently there were some problems with weaker tugs)? I will likely run gears after I have acquired another set of wheels, but I am curious if I will need anything else to get started with my first 29er. Thanks for any & all help...

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
First: Great deal, and you are going to love the ride of that bike. One of the best riding 29"ers out there IMO.

Other than the tugs, I have heard of no weaknesses in the design.

You may need an extra tall headset race or bottom cup for clearance if you plan to run a Reba. I think this problem has been remedied with later production runs.

Enjoy it. They fly and epotimize the steel hardtail feel.

You'll have to paint it black, I assume?

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
I hate mine.

kidding
Most fun I have had in 32 years of serious cycling and 27 years of mountain biking.

She is no turkey, but will lead you to them...

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enel said:
...Great deal, and you are going to love the ride of that bike. One of the best riding 29"ers out there IMO.

You may need an extra tall headset race or bottom cup for clearance if you plan to run a Reba. I think this problem has been remedied with later production runs.
Thanks Enel, I am assuming that the frame is from latter production runs due to the cable routing under the TT (tho I could be mistaken).

Enel said:
You'll have to paint it black, I assume?
...LOL! :D How'd you guess? ;)

I was wanting an "entry level" 29er ride to tide me over until I can build up the new Turner in the Spring. I suspect the On*One will do just fine:thumbsup:

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enel said:
Whoa! Feeling the stoke.....good stuff! What type of wheel build is Nat using (strong obviously)? I don't remember seeing his build posted anywhere...? Definitely good to see the On*One holding up to the type of riding I will certainly be giving it :D

·
Registered
18,570 Posts
jncarpenter said:
Whoa! Feeling the stoke.....good stuff! What type of wheel build is Nat using (strong obviously)? I don't remember seeing his build posted anywhere...? Definitely good to see the On*One holding up to the type of riding I will certainly be giving it :D
Hey, thanks Enel! That was a nice Moab redux.

jnc, in those pics I was using the stock Gary Fisher Rig wheels: 14ga spokes cross-3, Mustang rims, Bontrager hubs. They're pretty strong, I suppose. My current wheels are DT240ss hubs, DT Supercomp spokes cross-3, Salsa Delgado Cross rims, brass nibbles.

You won't be sorry with the On-One. Since you don't have geared wheels yet, it'll be interesting to see if you still want them after riding it singlespeed for awhile. [wink-wink]

Chit, you get that sweet Moots seatpost too?!?!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey wait a minute...

That front yard looks really familiar! :D

I was a little bummed that the auction didn't do better, but I'm glad it's going to a good mtbr'er home.

It's an awesome ride, wish I could keep all 3 of my bikes, but alas, you'll have to enjoy it for me ;)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Limited rides on my Inbred...

Due to laging illness, injuries and just plain getting old.
But with the few rides I've been on, I can say this is probably the best riding bike I've ever owned. My positioning is off just a tad (I can't seem to nail down how it's off yet), but it climbs, tracks and descends with comfort, ease, and predictability.
I too was worried about the whole tugnut/sliding drpout set-up too, but no problems yet. I too run mine with gears.
Enjoy the bike, you'll love it

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. I am really looking forward to getting in some hours on the Inbred. Beckman4, I was very surprised that the auction didn't do better myself....I wonder if it had to do with the early morning closing time (8am est). Either way I am very stoked for the super deal. I have only had a few rides on 29ers....one was an Xcaliber & the other was a Raleigh XXIX (Tim Grahl from twentynineinches.com lives here in Lynchburg & I got to check it out). In both cases I had a blast fooling around on them. I can see why the SS'ers like the 29" format as the Fisher just seemed to effortless speed along up a decent grade on a longer ride I recently did. I think aside from the traction & stability, what I liked most was the ability to easily maintain momentum. I am a bigger rider @ 225 lbs, but fairly fit & strong & I enjoy a long road ride or an epic east coast MTB ride. The 29er will be another option in the quiver for some of the long (15+mile) rides locally comprised of fire roads & double track....as well as the frequent techy singletrack. Who knows...maybe the SS will stick as I frequently run the Evill Sovereign in SS mode.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
jncarpenter said:
Thanks Enel, I am assuming that the frame is from latter production runs due to the cable routing under the TT (tho I could be mistaken).

...LOL! :D How'd you guess? ;)

I was wanting an "entry level" 29er ride to tide me over until I can build up the new Turner in the Spring. I suspect the On*One will do just fine:thumbsup:
nothing entry level about it.....it is a KILLER bike, period.

by the way, SSINGA is talking smack about you now ;) dont worry, i told him to piss off

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FoShizzle said:
nothing entry level about it.....it is a KILLER bike, period.

by the way, SSINGA is talking smack about you now ;) dont worry, i told him to piss off
...well, the entry level thoughts were just my ambitions prior to purchasing the O*O. I figured I would have to sell off either the Evil or the Inbred in the spring to make room for the Turner 29...otherwise I will be too overwhelmed with riding selections :p

....do tell of this "smack-talk" from a smurf :D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
The "smack" was directed toward FoAsshat. Smurfs are exempt from any retribution from talking smack anyway.

Regardless, nice score at a sweet price Jay. If you do repaint it I think orange would look nice :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, after reading this thread I'm happy too. I've also just scored myself an Inbred frame off ebay and will soon be jumping into the fray. I've always liked the Inbred, but the cost of one had put it just out of reach, I got lucky!:D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
SSINGA said:
The "smack" was directed toward FoAsshat. Smurfs are exempt from any retribution from talking smack anyway.

Regardless, nice score at a sweet price Jay. If you do repaint it I think orange would look nice :thumbsup: .
get out of here! last thing the 29er forum needs are more Homers!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.