Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I usually do just the DH at Sea Otter, but this year I've got a brand new SS 29er and am excited to race XC (beginner singlespeed).

I'd like to get out there to ride the course and decide what gear ratio to use, so where would I have to park and where do I get a trail map of the course?

I'm in San Jose area but would be willing to make a trip or two down there before April to scope it out.

Thanks!

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
coldawg said:
So I usually do just the DH at Sea Otter, but this year I've got a brand new SS 29er and am excited to race XC (beginner singlespeed).

I'd like to get out there to ride the course and decide what gear ratio to use, so where would I have to park and where do I get a trail map of the course?

I'm in San Jose area but would be willing to make a trip or two down there before April to scope it out.

Thanks!
It shouldn't be long before the "pre-otter" rides start around here. Look in the coming weeks for group rides to pre ride the Sea Otter XC course.

I like to park inside Laguna Seca. They charge like $6 per vehicle but that means if you carpool, you can split the cost of parking. There are showers with hot water available and plenty of space to lay out a grill and a cooler.

The course map is usually available on the Sea Otter website, once the route is decided upon. The last couple of years, it was available for download to GPS devices as well.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
just FYI, there is no such thing as a beginner singlespeeder. I entered that catagory 2 years ago, and felt like the only beginner there.

Here is a general map which is good to highlight with the course map from the SOC website.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/hollister_pdfs/Trail_Map_Grayscale_August_2006.pdf

Im in SJ also and will be there often between now and April (esp after rains), but skiping this the SOC this year for better riding!

As for gear ratio, IMO, 95% of the course is 2:1 (26"), but trail 82 needs something a lot shorter.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know what you mean. It's like in beginner DH, most are very good riders, just beginning to race, but definitely not beginner riders per se

I've borrowed single speeds before, and am doing a lot of riding on my new one to prepare, but I'm mainly out there to have fun. Better than entering Expert SS for a first go! Yeah I think it'll be fine, but I'd love to get down there and try the trails out.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Monterey Rider
116 Posts
grrrah said:
just FYI, there is no such thing as a beginner singlespeeder. I entered that catagory 2 years ago, and felt like the only beginner there.

Here is a general map which is good to highlight with the course map from the SOC website.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/hollister_pdfs/Trail_Map_Grayscale_August_2006.pdf

Im in SJ also and will be there often between now and April (esp after rains), but skiping this the SOC this year for better riding!

As for gear ratio, IMO, 95% of the course is 2:1 (26"), but trail 82 needs something a lot shorter.
That's old. Here's the newest version...

http://www.morcamtb.org/trails/FortOrd_July07.pdf

·
What would Pimpbot do?
364 Posts
Although Trail 50 North bound is a super flowy singletrack that you can ride at speed, I suggest you ride it as slowly as physically possible and practice your track stand on all short inclines if you want to truly do a SOC pre-ride.

If this sounds confusing, just know that on race day, some of the single track sections get choked with riders and there are traffic jams worse than SoCal's 405.

·
Registered
2 Posts
coldawg said:

Thanks!

coldawg - I am thinking of riding the Sea Otter XC (beginner singlespeed) as well this year. Let me know if you head down to pre-ride and I will tag along to see what we are in for. I live in San Jose as well.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Dan'ger said:
It shouldn't be long before the "pre-otter" rides start around here. Look in the coming weeks for group rides to pre ride the Sea Otter XC course.

I like to park inside Laguna Seca. They charge like $6 per vehicle but that means if you carpool, you can split the cost of parking. There are showers with hot water available and plenty of space to lay out a grill and a cooler.

The course map is usually available on the Sea Otter website, once the route is decided upon. The last couple of years, it was available for download to GPS devices as well.

I was at Laguna Seca right after Christmas and the bathroom /showers at the parking area were locked up. I had to use the facilities in the Chapparel campground. Anyone know when they reopen for the season?

·
Registered
641 Posts
more FO/sea otter info

You can also access the xc route from Creekside Terrace and 8th and Giggling trail heads. MORCA rides every sat at 2:30 from 8th and Giggling. Even though you may not ride much of the course you do get a good idea of riding the terrain on a SS.
There may not be a slow conga line going down 50 this year at least for the beg sser's. They go off first on Friday with a 5 minute head start over the next group.
Also, you might want to enter 1 or 2 of the cccx races which start Feb 10. They will give a good idea of what racing ss for 1 1/2 hours feels like and there is a good chance that the Sport ss cccx competition might be close to the beg ss at the sea otter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts