Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Riddler
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a slew of bike thefts and had to pick up an Access frame from Performance. I admittedly have been riding it with a seatpost that was out beyond the minimal insertion line. I've had it for 6 months now, fairly heavy usage. Its never been stiff like a superfly, but over the last couple weeks its been feeling really soft in the rear end. No crackage, but I was wondering if it was possible for the not-so-good aluminum they probably use to "craft" these things to soften up in that short of a time period. Its noticeable enough that I think I'm ready to spend some savings but was wondering if there were other culprits.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
no, that would be highly unusual for even a cheap frame to suddenly feel soft. I would guess that there really is a crack or that something is up with your rear wheel or tire

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Second that

boomn said:
no, that would be highly unusual for even a cheap frame to suddenly feel soft. I would guess that there really is a crack or that something is up with your rear wheel or tire
I say check for tire pressure, spoke tension, loose QR, loose headset... something like that.

I mean, it couldn't hurt to go over it with a magnifying glass to look for cracks around the stress areas, but I think that is not likely.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Frames are welded and produced by Fuji. Top notch production. Doing the math with my cyclocomputer I have run about 4000 miles through my frame. Most have been very hard miles. Miles that I would not put my more expensive frames through. No problems at all. No squeaks or flex. I run an XT gruppo for the most part and have had zero issues. It built up super easy and shifts perfect.

The frame and production are really very very good. The welds on mine are the best I have ever seen other than a Cannondale which smooth theres out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Kaparzo said:
I admittedly have been riding it with a seatpost that was out beyond the minimal insertion line. I've had it for 6 months now, fairly heavy usage.
When you do go spending your hard earned savings, don't do this again.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
metal frames do not soften over time. old, surpisingly widespread, bike shop lore.
Especially aluminum. It will just crack.

Performance has a 100% money back promise on everything they sell. Don't like the frame? Return it for another one and stop worrying about it.

I think they are very nice frames.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
i have been using this frame as my SS bike. it is stiff when you hammer on it, but the oversize tubes eat up the harsh bumps and feel more like a steel frame on rough embedded rock trails.

i think this is what you are feeling. i agree with checking your spokes/wheels, forks, cranks or other parts for softness/loose. if you bend aluminum over and over it will crack. steel is more likely to get soft first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts