Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys.

I'm toying more and more with the prospect of putting a single crown on my Recoil.

Only problem is, I don't know if putting a 160mm fork on it will screw it up completely. I do know that my swingarm in back has three little holes to adjust from 7.5 to 8.5 inches of travel... so that might help. Does going single seem like a viable idea?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you want a single crown fork, at least go with a 180mm fork, something like the Totem or 66. Then set the shock where you want it based on geometry. There's tons of bikes that have 8 or almost 8 inches of travel and run 180mm forks. But putting a 160mm fork on a 7.5-8.5 inch travel frame seems like a bad idea unless for some reason you want to do xc or am with that bike.

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, actually, I was thinking about something like a Lyrik or 36 with the 7.5 inch setting.

See, this is my only good bike and I use it for EVERYTHING. I've been riding like 5 miles a day on the road! :eek:

However, a 66 or Totem would be nice forks too.

Oh, forgot to mention.... the less fork bob, the better!

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uncle Cliffy said:
:thumbsup:
Oh, so that works out to a six-inch-travel trailbike!

@Mr. Blonde: I can adjust my fork reasonably competently, it's just that I hate not being able to turn my front wheel that far. I know it sounds stupid but I ride in very tight spaces and having the turning radius of a walrus really doesn't help.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Then get a Totem 2-step or a 66 ATA where you could adjust the travel down to 135 mm for the totem or 140mm for the 66. But these forks tend to be problematic. Also the Totem(all the versions i think; solo air, coil) has a lock out function that allows basically no bob and very minimal travel action for when you do your road rides or whatever you plan on doing. I think its called floodgate or something but i'm not sure. ou could also get an air fork and adjust the air pressure inside the fork with a smalll pump to make it stiffer or plusher.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the travel adjust systems are problematic. The 2-step feature on the totem and the ATA feature on the 66. Sometimes they wind down and wont go back to full travel. i'd go with the Totem Solo Air as its light(only 5.89 pounds), you could adjust the air pressure, its really stiff (i think i heard somewhere that its as stiff or stiffer than a boxxer), you could adjust the travel by putting spacers( you would have to take the fork apart and put a 20mm spacer(s) which takes about aan hour depends putting the fork at 160mm, 140mm, whatever you want in 20mm intervals), and its a stunning looking fork with those big 40mm stanchions. Also the 66 is made in taiwan this year and people have to keep sendong them in to marz to fix problems(on both the rc3 and the ATA). I'm not exactly sure what the problems are but ask 66 owners and they'l tell you. Then again some 66 owners are happy and don't have problems but i'd go with the totem.

·
Registered
592 Posts
get it in black if you can it'll look sick. i dont know if you'll find the solo air in black. Look on ebay and you could probably find it cheaper.
when you get it, you can do x-ups off that ramp:thumbsup:

·
Card-carrying wotmeister
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hell yeah! :D

Look'a like the coils are about $800 on schmeebay.

Only problem looks-wise is the 40mm chrome stanchions. The only forks with chrome stanchions I've used have been crappy walmart bikes- does anyone have pics of their black rig with a Totem?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
okay as this is on the same subject (instead of anoying you all with another)
i am convinced that my mates etup ison right...so can you lot give me advise (and him) whether i am right.
he is riding a demo 8 (shock: fox dhx 5.0 steel spring) (8.5 inch rear travel for those who dont know)
and up front is a 160mm fork (fork: fox float 36)
is this setup putting his bike in to dangerouse possisions?
thanks

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
rabidweasel999 said:
Oh, I'd like to know, because that's exactly what I want to do!

How does it ride?
well to be honest i havent ridden it on a DH track yet (next week end i am) but it just dosent look right, it rides okay but bobs like F**K so not as good as you may thing but thats just how its set up.
it is nice to do some small jumps, not attempted big ones on it my slef

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
I wouldn't change the fork at all...I would just change the oil inside the fork.....I would start litening the bike by other things I listed in ur other post...no way in hell do I put a single crown fork on that when I have an already good fork in the 888

just ride it and stop worry about the upgrades (changing forks is not an upgrade)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I wouldn't change the fork at all...I would just change the oil inside the fork.....I would start litening by others things I listed in ur other post...no way in hell do I put a single crown fork on that when I have an already good fork in the 888
same, shame my mate has only the one forks and has only ever had the one fork.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.