Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1,321 - 1,340 of 1,400 Posts
Haven’t really tried surfing yet - went once on a small day about 3 weeks in - certainly felt like I shouldn’t be doing it. Paddle stroke was ok, but getting my arm up and back into position sucked. I have gone mat surfing a couple of times (mostly legs there). Not being able to surf is really what is killing me. I just bought a new 5/4 that is an absolute bear to get into - I actually just tried it on again and I definitely need to go ice down after that fiasco! The thought of trying to get in and out of that suit is a big part of what is keeping me from giving it a try.

I have no problem going through PT - particularly if it’s going to help both shoulders long term. I’m just frustrated that I seemingly haven’t progressed in pain or ROM since week 2. ROM might be slightly better, but sleeping and mornings are still hell.

Update - it's been over 3yrs since my surgery (injury was initially diagnosed as a grade 2-3 but a third diagnosis many weeks later indicated a high grade 3 or low grade 5; injury progressed) and all is well. ROM is excellent. I can sleep on it with no problems, and can also bench and squat without zero issues. As far as durability, I've crashed a few times since the surgery, some at high speed, and the shoulder is still good.

Now 8 weeks post diagnosed grade 2 but feel like it was pushing the limits of grade 2 into a grade 3 or grade 4 as the end of the clavicle progressed backward a bit. Going in for repeat films. Shoulder is really not painful at rest, the shoulder joint pain due to impingement I had after injury is much better but still limits full overhead reach but I can struggle through getting a shirt on or off pretty normal. I still am pretty weak overall on that side so really lifting pushing or pulling stuff that's 40-50lbs isn't happening. I have started side lying rotator cuff exercises that don't hurt and TRX rows without pain.

BUT.... if I try to cross my body with any force and I mean any like holding the phone up against my ear or brushing my teeth the clunking and feeling of dislocating clavicle is AWFUL. Makes me a bit queasy. For the most part I feel like this situation is plateaued and I'm getting the sinking feeling I'm headed for surgery. Anyone else have this symptom?

Update - it's been over 3yrs since my surgery (injury was initially diagnosed as a grade 2-3 but a third diagnosis many weeks later indicated a high grade 3 or low grade 5; injury progressed) and all is well. ROM is excellent. I can sleep on it with no problems, and can also bench and squat without zero issues. As far as durability, I've crashed a few times since the surgery, some at high speed, and the shoulder is still good.
Did you have the surgery right at the time of injury. Sounds like mine is like yours grade 3 almost 5. I did the physical therapy thing and its ok, but still have issue with sleeping on that shoulder, no power from shoulder. Surgeon pushed off surgery. I'm at 4 months from injury. I was hoping for better results as time progressed.

Did you have the surgery right at the time of injury. Sounds like mine is like yours grade 3 almost 5. I did the physical therapy thing and its ok, but still have issue with sleeping on that shoulder, no power from shoulder. Surgeon pushed off surgery. I'm at 4 months from injury. I was hoping for better results as time progressed.
I did not. I busted my ankle the same time as the shoulder, and the ankle had first priority. I got a couple of screws inserted and after that healed a bit, I then went to get the shoulder worked on; it was about 2 to 2.5mos after the initial injury occurred.

Like you, as time progressed, I was hoping for better results but I did not find the progression acceptable, so I advocated for myself and pushed for surgery.

Your feedback about having surgery? And what do you think the reason of having a successful surgery

Your feedback about having surgery? And what do you think the reason of having a successful surgery
Regarding your first question, can you provide specifics regarding the surgery feedback you're interested in?

Regarding the second part of your post, there were at least a few reasons, or bullet points, as to why my surgery was a success, and this is not in chronological order; 1) the doctor 2) his surgery technique (which excluded hardware; that was very important to me) (3) my mental game, and 4) my physical game. That said, you could have the greatest doctor in the world, with the greatest technique, but if you don't have the mental and physical game to follow through, the odds increase of the surgery not being as successful as it could be.

Hey guys! I’ve been reading this forum for weeks now, it really is the most detailed guide on the internet to shoulder separation. 6 weeks ago today I fell off my skateboard and did a grade 2 (noticeable bump, completely tore the ac but not the cc ligaments) doctor had me take the sling off at week 4. I’ve been religiously stretching and doing the pt I was given since the sling has come off. It seems the bump gets bigger with some actions and smaller with others. I can freestyle swim relatively comfortable, but breaststroke still hurts a bit. I AM AN AVID SURFER And have surfed most hurricane swells in recent years(surfing for 4-7 hours at a time no breaks) I Have been since I was a kid, I’m really scared surfing will be tough. doc said I should be fine to surf by the end of January (says the guy who has never paddled out the back on a big day), but my body tells me paddling out on a big north east swell will not be possible. I’m worried about duck dives, treading water and then getting back on my board, and obviously popping up. I cannot find anything having to do with surfing and this injury. I have a big Mexico trip planned next year where I want to paddle out in well overhead pumping waves. I’m 26 years old and it seems I now have a bad shoulder, lucky for me because of surfing I do have a solid foundation of stabilizer muscles. Any insight would be appreciated. If I didn’t surf I’d say my shoulder is at 95% but no surfing means 0% as far as I’m concerned. Thanks guys! You’ve already been more helpful over the past 6 weeks than anyone else!

Haven't really tried surfing yet - went once on a small day about 3 weeks in - certainly felt like I shouldn't be doing it. Paddle stroke was ok, but getting my arm up and back into position sucked. I have gone mat surfing a couple of times (mostly legs there). Not being able to surf is really what is killing me. I just bought a new 5/4 that is an absolute bear to get into - I actually just tried it on again and I definitely need to go ice down after that fiasco! The thought of trying to get in and out of that suit is a big part of what is keeping me from giving it a try.

I have no problem going through PT - particularly if it's going to help both shoulders long term. I'm just frustrated that I seemingly haven't progressed in pain or ROM since week 2. ROM might be slightly better, but sleeping and mornings are still hell.
any luck with the surfing now? I hope you get better.

I just found this thread. It just popped up on my feed as if by magic!

I had a grade 3 AC separation in an OTB crash 3 weeks ago. Didn’t require surgery and I’ve gotten almost full ROM and almost zero pain at this point. Only slight discomfort during/after doing household chores, LOL.

Doc says my ROM recovery has been amazing and now he wants me to start physical therapy.

I’m also a surfer and I’ve noticed a few other surfers posting here. I look forward to reading this thread over the next several days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found this thread. It just popped up on my feed as if by magic!

I had a grade 3 AC separation in an OTB crash 3 weeks ago. Didn't require surgery and I've gotten almost full ROM and almost zero pain. Doc says my ROM recovery has been amazing and now he wants me to start physical therapy.

I'm also a surfer and I've noticed a few other surfers posting here. I look forward to reading this thread over the next several days.

I have more ROM in my separated shoulder than my other. I had a very severe grade 3. No issues side sleeping.

I did PT and it was helpful. Always extremely painful the next day. The unique spot where there was bone kn bine contact eventually either ground down, or the nerve shut itself down exactly as my PT said it would. I stopped having those "yeow!" Moments after about 6 months.

4-5 weeks on the trainer before it was stable enough to ride road.
Road rides resulted in a dull nerve pain after 90 minutes in a static position.
Mtb rides has their moments of severe pain for quite some time.

I was racing MTB in less than 2 months, but i really wasnt 100% until about 6 months after. It seemed like the end of the road when it first happened and my bone was floating in and out.

any luck with the surfing now? I hope you get better.
Well, my Ortho actually suspects rotator cuff injury and minor to no AC separation, despite the large "horn" on my left shoulder. I'm putting my money on some combination of cuff and labrum tear, as there is a clunking the the back of my shoulder that is very consistent and reproducible. I have an MRI tomorrow and follow up on Wednesday, so hopefully there will be some answers by then. I'm preparing myself mentally for surgery, and at this point, since it's been 3 months with little progress, I'm actually hoping for it.

I can still bike ok - though I'm still being quite conservative. I've been out lately on my fat bike set up rigid with either fat or plus tires and it's felt ok. No big drops or rock rolls, etc. (and NO SKINNYS), but I can pull up the front end to get over some small obstacles, etc. without too much discomfort. Shoulder feels ok afterwards too - no discernable extra pain etc.

Surfing still sucks. Actually, surfing is great - not being able to do what I want out there sucks. I went out twice last weekend - I caught a few and it was good to get out there (particularly realizing my surfing days might be numbered for quite a while if I'm due for surgery). The biggest issue is that I still have trouble matching the speed of the wave to catch it. I can still paddle around slowly if I'm deliberate, but short fast strokes (with the necessary quick recovery strokes) with the injured shoulder, are very painful. Pop up is fine, and I don't seem to be any worse afterwards. It's just the paddling into the wave that is restrictive.

~2cm full thickness rotator cuff tear (supraspinatus). In the process of scheduling surgery for 15-Jan. Maybe be riding again by fall? Man, the decision to try to clean that funky little bridge for a 3rd time changed my life.

follow up on my grade II AC separation.

I am now 11 weeks out from injury. My first x-ray seemed to indicate grade II and I had a follow up at 9 weeks out that looked about the same. they also did a view where I held a 10lb weight in my hand. No change with or without weight so MD was pretty sure the coracoclavicular ligaments were intact which puts me solidly out of surgical consideration.

My general mobility is pretty good, maybe 80% of the uninjured side. My pain level is pretty much zero BUT I still get a lot of crunching and shifting when I try to use my arm across my body or support weight through my arm like in a plank or something. The end of the clavicle just shifts backward and grinds against the acromion. It feels really horrible and unstable but not necessarily painful. Maybe a 1-2/10 pain. I can take a shirt of and on normally although a little slower then I was before but can do it overhead so that's positive. I cannot sleep on the injured side as the end of the clavicle just shifts backward and feels like it's poking out behind the acromion. Not great. Woke up one time finding I was laying on that side and that's about the worst pain I've had in weeks and it was like a 4/10. I have a small bump from it being raised but it's really small. If I retract my shoulder blades the shoulders look completely symmetric and normal but If I shrug my shoulders the bump is very obvious. Still tender to touch if I push directly on the AC joint (or lack of one at this point).

Overall I have to say I'm really discouraged despite the consistent slow progress. I really thought I would be better by now and have a little more stability considering I read people with grade II injuires that are bench pressing and lifting by now. I can do some isolated rotator cuff exercises on my side and with bands and some TRX low row but no pushing over overhead press and certainly not anything that activates my pec with any kind of force.

Doc said I can get an injection to help with pain and if nothing ever progresses past this then will be a candidate for distal clavicle excision which doesn't really repair the joint it just removes it.

Can't imagine riding right now and that fact that I can't lift weights, do a HIIT program, or ride my bike is making me REALLY depressed.

It's been one month to the day from my grade 3 and I rode the trail for the first time yesterday. Still very cautious but no pain. I've been riding on the road for a couple of weeks, just short 4-5 mile loops around the neighborhood, and those kept me sane.

No surgery and no therapy. Went to the PT and he showed me some exercises (that I had been doing already) so he said just keep doing what I've been doing. 100% ROM and only slight weakness in that shoulder.

Yesterday and today rode to the trails, did a little single track, and rode back home; 13-14 miles each day.

I have to say I am pleased and beyond thankful for my quick recovery.

It's been one month to the day from my grade 3 and I rode the trail for the first time yesterday. Still very cautious but no pain. I've been riding on the road for a couple of weeks, just short 4-5 mile loops around the neighborhood, and those kept me sane.

No surgery and no therapy. Went to the PT and he showed me some exercises (that I had been doing already) so he said just keep doing what I've been doing. 100% ROM and only slight weakness in that shoulder.

Yesterday and today rode to the trails, did a little single track, and rode back home; 13-14 miles each day.

I have to say I am pleased and beyond thankful for my quick recovery.

Like how does this happen in a more severe case? I'm just shocked. I'm triple your time and lower grade and can't do anything athletic but run. Do you have no pain at the AC joint? I don't have a cuff tear, I didn't dislocate glenohumeral joint, no acromion or scapula fracture that they can see. Exercising since week 4 which was the absolute earliest I could get rid of the sling and not chew on pain meds all day. What the heck. Awesome for you though. I wish.

Like how does this happen in a more severe case? I'm just shocked. I'm triple your time and lower grade and can't do anything athletic but run. Do you have no pain at the AC joint? I don't have a cuff tear, I didn't dislocate glenohumeral joint, no acromion or scapula fracture that they can see. Exercising since week 4 which was the absolute earliest I could get rid of the sling and not chew on pain meds all day. What the heck. Awesome for you though. I wish.
I just looked Through Strava the other day. Apparently my first xc race back was 50 days post injury.

I was on the trainer a few days post injury. I tucked my arm into my bib and moved my shifter to the left side of the bars to zwift.

PT once a week and did the exercises they prescribed which resulted in plenty of tough days following PT. My bones were moving around so much with nerve pain and bone on bone catching i thought i might never be able to ride technical terrain again. It all came back better than ever and a thread i posted here asking for feedback helped keep the dream and goal alive.

Two Aleve and a 7% beer. After workouts and before bed did the trick.

Doctorsti;

I understand your frustration but I don’t really have an answer for you. I truly am amazed at how how quickly I’ve healed.

It really has given me an appreciation for the little things in life and has given me renewed focus on my overall health. I need to lose weight (probably 35 pounds) and this has really given me the motivation to do so.

I lost 25 pounds last year after getting back on the bike, and I’d like to lose another 25-30 in the next six months.

Looking back, I was in a similar spot at one month post Grade III:

"One month:

I can run - did 6 miles on the road yesterday.
I can bike - did 12 miles in the woods today without a problem, though I did thump a tree with that shoulder on a tight left turn.
I can do pull ups and push ups with a little soreness right at the AC joint. I can do 5# standing flexion and abduction.
I feel the joint most at rest. I am able to sleep for short periods on the injured side.
Haven't been back in the water yet.
I mowed the lawn and raked the front yard after my ride today without difficulty.
I guess I'm happily surprised with where I am one month into a three month recovery."

I was 48 years old when I had my fall St. Patrick's Day 2016. I can't believe it has been almost 5 years. Still able to surf, swim, MTB, road bike, do yard and house work.

This AC separation is no joke. One second I was riding my bike. Next second I was seeing stars. Mine happened in January 31st. I immediately had a giant lump in my shoulder. Pain was excruciating. Thought I popped my shoulder out. Went straight to the emergency room. First the nurses said it was a minor separation and were just going to send me home. I asked them if it's minor then why does it hurt so bad and why do I have a giant bump on my shoulder. They sent me back in for additional xrays. This time I had to hold onto weights while taking photos. There was a lot of cursing due to the pain this caused. The nurses changed their tune and said it was probably grade 3. They still never had me move my shirt to show them my injury and due to covid they sent me home with meds asap.

Saw another ortho Dr. a few days later that said grade 2 and told me to go home and let it heal. Dude never even looked at my shoulder either. Then had a phone appt. With a 3rd Dr. and he talked so much I couldn't get a word in. It was on the phone so he didn't physically look at my shoulder either. He said it was grade 3 and to just let it heal. That you'd just be replacing a lump with a scar.

About 2 weeks passed and the pain improved but I still couldn't reach across my body or lift my arm up past my shoulder without a ton of difficulty and pain. I am a girl so I know the giant lump and drooping shoulder would bother me forever. Plus it's my right arm and I have a crazy wild 2 year old at home to deal with so I wanted another opinion.

Saw another Dr. At 2 weeks and 1 day past injury. He was the first person to actually look at me and not just my x-rays. He said it was grade 5 and scheduled me for surgery 8 days later. I am now 4 days past surgery and waiting very impatiently to feel better. I haven't left my bedroom since I got home. When I stand up it feels like my arm is being ripped off and there is no position I can find to make my arm feel comfortable. They only gave me Motrin and hydrocodone so the pain never gets much better and the medication is making me horribly nauseous. I hadn't thrown up in over 15 years before now.

On a positive note it looks like the bump is gone. Haven't taken the bandages off yet so I don't know how big the scar is. But at least you can't see the scar in my clothes.

Curious if anyone else who has gone through surgery can let me know when I should expect the pain to get better. It has been far worse than expected. Just looking forward to being able to walk more than a few steps without a bunch of pain making me hurry and lay back down.

I attached pictures of my injury.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

1,321 - 1,340 of 1,400 Posts