Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ugly

Great thread and good read for those subsequently injured (like me :)). Post crash 4 months, the worst thing is how it looks. My separation is a full bone width from its original position. If my arm is held back, it looks like a bump. If held forward, the whole freaking bone sticks up and looks gnarly. It catches on the seat belt all of the time (left shoulder). I'm holding off on any surgery until next spring which will be a year from the crash. I've heard both negative and positive surgery experiences, so I'm a bit leery. You can't undo surgery :( I don't know why the pic is sideways or how to fix it. Sorry...
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_2699.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
P.S. Those that say it takes 3 months to heal are wrong. I'm at 5+ months now. Sleeping on that side is still a problem. Even moderate activity with my left arm can result in significant pain the day and 2nd day after. I'm still wanting to wait a year before deciding on surgery, although it seems my shoulder is dropping making the bone stick up further looking worse than a couple of months ago. I sure wish this had never happened :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hang in there, it gets better. I got my grade 3 back in 2002. It was rough for a while but I was racing my motorcycle again months later without surgery. As soon as the doc told me it was ok to resume normal activities I started to work on building up the muscle around it. The first pushup almost made me cry but I kept at it.

I had the same problem years later that I couldnt sleep on that shoulder but it barely sticks up now and never bothers me anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I appreciate your words on encouragement roadracerX. I'm in my 60s and 14 years from now I'll likely be dead :( I didn't take real good care of myself in my younger years. Ha! My slogan has become, 'it could always be worse' and that is so true.

On a non-related note, I've not been able to ride much at all for the last 3 years. I went from 600 miles a month average to 20 due to neck pain. After chasing that problem for the last 3 years and having all kinds of treatments that did nothing, I went to an infectious disease doctor last week to be tested for Lyme. I'm really, really, really hoping I have it so it can be fixed and I can get back in the saddle. I miss how I felt riding 4-5k a year. If I can get over that hump, the shoulder will be minor. Like I mentioned earlier, the worst thing is how it looks. Here's hoping!

181 - 184 of 184 Posts