Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The 575 has been one of my favorite bikes that I have had. As far as a nice trailbike, I would take it over a 5 Spot. For 5' drops, I would take a 6 Pack or the other bikes that IB mentioned. Those kind of drops will take its toll on a frame made for smaller hits. Now, the big hit that sneaks up on you here or there, yeah I think that the resident 575 beater bonkey has taken his 575's to those kind of drops at Gooseberry Mesa from time to time but I dont it is made for those kind of drops. The biggest drop I have ever done is a whooping 2' to flat on the 575 and with my big rear end it soaked it up fine, real hard fast hits or G outs I can feel the frame flex, those same kind of hits on a bike like a VPX just disappeared under me with out a twitch. I think that either a RFX (no more 6 Packs) or a 6.6 will be the perfect frame for this type of riding other than going for a VPX or ASX type of bike.

·
Eyes of the world
893 Posts
I did a 3 foot drop to flat on my 575 the other day without bottoming but I had some extra air in the RP3. I don't plan on doing that too often though. 3 foot drops with a nice transition are very smooth on this bike though. 5 foot drops though even with a transition? I don't know about that though. I haven't got the balls up to try something that big. I think that would be a little much for the bike. But hey it's got a 5 year frame warranty :D . If you plan on doing 5 foot drops regularily a bigger bike would probably be a bit smarter.

PS: I need to get a FR bike too lol.

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
I think the limit is personal and at this point, speculation. I haven't heard anyone experiencing a frame failure from a drop yet (with exception of a couple of rp3 shock failures that caused the swing link to bend, and those were all personal experience).

One of the local rides I do has 4+ five foot drops, and variations to do a multiplicity of larger and smaller drops. I have yet to hear a peep out of my frame (now equipped with a dhx air).

Another is all slickrock rockgardens and 3 or so 2'-4' and a couple of 7' with bad landings. No problems there either.

·
Eyes of the world
893 Posts
bonkey said:
I think the limit is personal and at this point, speculation. I haven't heard anyone experiencing a frame failure from a drop yet (with exception of a couple of rp3 shock failures that caused the swing link to bend, and those were all personal experience).

One of the local rides I do has 4+ five foot drops, and variations to do a multiplicity of larger and smaller drops. I have yet to hear a peep out of my frame (now equipped with a dhx air).

Another is all slickrock rockgardens and 3 or so 2'-4' and a couple of 7' with bad landings. No problems there either.
So whats the largest drop you've done so far on your 575? To flat and to transition?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've been pounding mine harder than it probably should be but i'm light and i will deal with it if i F up the frame.The bike just works so damn well that i just keep pushin it more and more.
3-4 footers are fine,5 to a tranny is cool too,it all demends how much you weigh and how you land.

·
shaved yeti
430 Posts
I don't really talk about the size of drops and hucks I do, but I think it's sufficient to say that you can drop about 1 foot for every inch of travel on a bike to flat. And to transition, well that's a whole different story; typically 2 feet for every inch of travel.

Naturally, this isn't a set in stone kind of thing, because everyone knows hardtailers can huck monstrous gaps, and a 5 spot can't handle a 5 to flat (just kidding! just felt like saying something inflammatory).

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
DesertYeti said:
So whats the largest drop you've done so far on your 575? To flat and to transition?
I have a friend that was doing 8' to 12' drops at the Yeti Dealer days in Colorado. He was riding one of the new Enduro builds with the Fox 36 fork. The Yeti folks said it was'nt designed for that prior to him doing it, but they were amazed how well the bike handled it. He's a very accomplished rider, and the bike handled it, but not the intended use.

Personally, I ride whatever I feel comfortable with what the trail provides. Ive dropped over 4' to transition, no problem. But Im not a hucker. Smaller jumps and drops flying down the trail the 575 rocks. Its not a freeride bike or a urban hucker. It climbs like a Mt. Goat.

Sean

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
5' to flat, not me...

I did a 4' to flat, but wouldn't do it again on a 575 without a DHX Air. It is a lightweight frame, but thats not what bothered me, the 5th Element Air I had on mine cried out in pain, and a few weeks later, after a few more drops, I had to replace the interior plastic shock eyelets with metal ones. I think with a DHX Air on there, 5 footers to tranny regularly would be fine, but any bike 5' to flat regularly will have its issues, maybe not with the frame, but with the wheels, etc.

Of course, a lot has to do with your smoothness level. If you are as smooth as I am on drops, as in smooth as a dumptruck driving through a nitro glycerine plant, you might want a bit bigger bike for those drops.

The ano finish won't take it either, try the raw, its tougher... :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.