Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Surly steel cogs exclusively on my SS for many years and still do. My buddy gave me an absolute black 18t cog so I tried it out and shortly after I put mine on his fell apart. I expected mine to shortly but it made it a few months. I don't recomend this product.
IMG_0487 by driverfound337, on Flickr

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's pretty spooky. I use the Surly steel cogs, too, but also the Endless Bike aluminum and the EBs have never been a problem, though, of course, they're not cheap.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,655 Posts
That's the first AB cog I've seen busted on here, but not the first cog we've seen broken by any means. Aluminum, stainless, I've seen and broken a few.

I mostly run Surly cogs though. Price and durability are hard to argue with.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read somewhere about surly chain rings being no good, cogs haven't heard a bad thing.

·
Hooligan
992 Posts
Have you contacted them to see if they will issue a warrantee? seems like a manufacturing defective, an impurity in the metal or something. assuming the chainline is relatively straight, the load should be distributed enough that 3 teeth won't just break off like that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did contact them, awaiting response, not worried about a replcement since it'd likely be useless on a mtb, maybe for light duty bike, but like I said my buddy had one too, same thing.....

·
Registered
732 Posts
I did contact them, awaiting response, not worried about a replcement since it'd likely be useless on a mtb, maybe for light duty bike, but like I said my buddy had one too, same thing.....
Weird. I hammered a 20 AB cog on my Krampus for a couple of years. Never had an issue. Except I think N/W on a SS cog is kinda silly.

Currently hammering WT alloy cogs on two bikes, a king stainless on another and a Niner alloy on a forth. All hunky dory.

I suspect a weird manufacturing defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
1,983 Posts
That's crazy. I've always used Surly cogs and never had an issue, but I've also used AB ovals the past few years and this makes me kind of nervous. Never had an issue, but if their aluminum is that brittle I may be playing with fire.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,553 Posts
The OP's pic looks as though the heat treat was done improperly. That means the material became brittle in the process which makes a break like shown happen.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They got back to me, wanting to know what chain I used which was sram pc 830, how stretched tha chain was........

·
Registered
209 Posts
These lunar cogs are my favorite so far and they're steel. I love being able to swap cogs without having to pull the cassette / hub apart.

I considered running ALU, but I asked endless specifically about wear using my chain (connex 108) and she said that running 1/8 chains wears the ALU too quickly. That's all I needed to hear. Not saying you were running a 1/8 chain, but its something to consider going forward.

Good luck with the search for a replacement!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i stick with steel cogs...especially at my clyde stature. i've had King and wolftooth and surly. I have a boone Ti that is on deck for my new build.

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
1,983 Posts
i stick with steel cogs...especially at my clyde stature. i've had King and wolftooth and surly. I have a boone Ti that is on deck for my new build.
I was ready to order a Boone, until I read the old thread that popped up where they closed up shop and stopped responding to people that had orders that never got filled.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,655 Posts
They got back to me, wanting to know what chain I used which was sram pc 830, how stretched tha chain was........
Anything to divert your attention away from the problem, or pass the blame, or at minimum create doubt. Lame.

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
1,983 Posts
It really doesn't surprise me that they aren't jumping through hoops to get you a new cog. I haven't seen him in a while, but the owner of AB is very, very defensive about his products. I've seen him on the internet arguing and getting super upset with people on multiple occasions.

I really like their oval rings, but I've had an interaction with them that was pretty much along the same "sorry about your luck, it's your fault not the product" line of thought that you seem to be dealing with.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,004 Posts
Chris King Stainless cogs are what I've used most often along with Wolftooth and now Boone Ti ones (since they just started making them again after 25 years!).

Not a fan of Surly cogs as they fit loose/sloppy on my (Chris King, DT Swiss) freehub bodies compared to the others mentioned above.

As for damaging/breaking cogs, a mis-aligned chain line, flexy frame or rear triangle can bring on the pain to cog teeth or snap stuff more than dodgy chains. Telltale sign: nice grinding sounds when pushing on the pedals around turns while churning up big hill climbs.

I avoid SRAM chains myself due to past oddities and inconsistencies when measuring in multiple locations with both Shimano TL-CN-41 and Park CC-2 chain wear indicators.

Reactions: groundpounder17
1 - 20 of 25 Posts