Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, heading to Albuequerque this week for work. I have about an hour or two to ride either first thing in the morning or after 4/5pm. Looking for about 10-15 mile rides that can be done in my time frame. Is see a high of about 95* which isn’t bad coming from Phoenix, but is it generally to hot to ride in the afternoon?

Riding a 130/140 trail bike, tech, flow, XC or a blend is all good. What y’all got?

Thanks.

· Registered
410 Posts
For someone from Arizona it is almost never too hot to ride here (moved here from Tucson a year ago)

For a quick ride like that it will depend on where you are staying/working. The foothills is mostly easy XC but there are a few techy sections if you hunt for them. Placitas is another good quick one a bit further north. If you can get over to Tijeres/east mountains, the Tunnel Canyon, Otero Canyon, and Pine Flats areas are all good riding.

I know Placitas and the east mountains areas pretty well if you want route ideas. I know a little but of the foothills but don’t spend as much time over there.

· Registered
6 Posts
Those are all good. Tunnel and Bird house ( both start at tunnel parking lot)are a few miles right off the freeway going east on I-40 in the canyon. And cooler for evening ride for just out side of Albaquerque. Foot hills are like south mountain in Phoenix but easer. East mountains are harder then south mountain more like the climb up to goat camp but not that hard!. There's nothing in that area like going down goat camp west of Phoenix.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The climb to Goat Camp, that’s Mesquite. I live a few miles from White Tanks park, so I know it well.
I’m staying in the north side of town. So maybe I’ll check out Placitas on Tuesday morning.
Thanks guys.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. Rode Placitas one morning, making the climb out to Sidewinder, High Voltage, and Chalk Line. Great flowy rip that we don’t get here in Phoenix. Also rode from the hotel out to the bike park one day and checked that out.

I’ll be back again in a month or so I’ll be doing some more exploring.

· off to ride
256 Posts
Awesome. Rode Placitas one morning, making the climb out to Sidewinder, High Voltage, and Chalk Line. Great flowy rip that we don't get here in Phoenix. Also rode from the hotel out to the bike park one day and checked that out.

I'll be back again in a month or so I'll be doing some more exploring.
Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it! Those are fun trails to ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.