Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The photos are of natural resource damage on illegal trails in the ABQ Foothills Open Space. The recent discovery of man made obstacles in the copper area have gotten the Mt bike community a bad rap. In the past OS Admin has been very accommodating when approached with the prospects of new trail development in the foothills. But as the saying goes, Give em’ an inch, and they’ll take a mile. For the best interest of everyone, some people need to chill out.

Attachments

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
Lots of views...no replies...interesting. Not implying anything.

It probably wasn't built by anyone that cruises through this board anyway. Right? ;)

Seeing as how during the winter months SFH can be the only place to ride it would suck to have that place taken off of the list.

I imagine there are a lot of folks that wouldn't lose any sleep if access to mtbr's was taken away.

Heed the warning and chill.

Just my .02, for what it's worth.

·
7MGTE
1,708 Posts
ABQDave said:
Lots of views...no replies...interesting. Not implying anything.

It probably wasn't built by anyone that cruises through this board anyway. Right? ;)

Seeing as how during the winter months SFH can be the only place to ride it would suck to have that place taken off of the list.

I imagine there are a lot of folks that wouldn't lose any sleep if access to mtbr's was taken away.

Heed the warning and chill.

Just my .02, for what it's worth.
I just got home and saw this and I had no idea that stuff was not approved. I have not been out to the FHs in weeks but when I saw a post of the new work I assumed it was approved by ABQ Foothills Open Space. In the end I was not there and have no idea who built this or why they would build it with out the proper go ahead. I just hope in the future this kind of work is approved first by ABQ Foothills Open Space.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582911

I would lose sleep Dave! :madman: I hope we do not get any biking removed due to this.

Like you said Dave just my .02

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
What the heck!

Folks!

As the Northern NM IMBA Rep and the President of FooMTB, I will implore you all again to please respect the Albq Open Space. We as a community have a great relationship with them and we can not jeapordize this.

Understand that they patrol the Foothills every day and if construction like this isn't reported it will eventually be discovered. If you find it necessary to build technical "terrain" such as this, please show the level of respect to include Jim Sattler in your concepts and plans. You'll find him more open then you would imagine when you do things by the book.

With respect to this particular "feature", I don't think Jim would have a problem building "terrain" such as this as long as it is done with rock work and fill and blends into the natural scenery. Yes it takes work, yes it takes time to get approved, but once you get that, you'd be surprised at how many people will help you build it.

We have plans for the rock work type of building technique to be used down in FooVille to get through the Rock Wall to Echo Basin. Please work with us to make sure we are welcome to continue the projects that Jim is allowing us to pursue. Any actions that jeapordize this, jeapodizes a lot more than you would imagine.

Thanks for your understanding!

·
Registered
138 Posts
WHO DID THIS?

I think most everyone knows who did this! Just look at the picture, it practicallly has a signature on it. Enthusiasm for the sport is one thing but this is taking it too far. I think we all like to ride new lines that are challlenging, but if this rouge trail building continues the only challenge we are going to have is trying to find a place to ride. If who ever did this can't work thru the proper channels to get trail building approved they should at least remember the first rule of fight club, "NEVER TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!"

Attachments

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
DaGoat said:
Folks!

As the Northern NM IMBA Rep and the President of FooMTB, I will implore you all again to please respect the Albq Open Space. We as a community have a great relationship with them and we can not jeapordize this.

Understand that they patrol the Foothills every day and if construction like this isn't reported it will eventually be discovered. If you find it necessary to build technical "terrain" such as this, please show the level of respect to include Jim Sattler in your concepts and plans. You'll find him more open then you would imagine when you do things by the book.

With respect to this particular "feature", I don't think Jim would have a problem building "terrain" such as this as long as it is done with rock work and fill and blends into the natural scenery. Yes it takes work, yes it takes time to get approved, but once you get that, you'd be surprised at how many people will help you build it.

We have plans for the rock work type of building technique to be used down in FooVille to get through the Rock Wall to Echo Basin. Please work with us to make sure we are welcome to continue the projects that Jim is allowing us to pursue. Any actions that jeapordize this, jeapodizes a lot more than you would imagine.

Thanks for your understanding!
Looks well built at least! I'd say put these guys/gals to work in a more constructive manner, but one that is conducive to their expectation.

The "products" that are being pushed onto the market is not balanced with the terrain that is available to "ride" them. What I mean is; the average trail bike is 5.5-6" of travel these days. Your average "loop" in the foothills will not satisfy an agro rider with this much to compensate. I don't see an end to this type of behavior as long as the "technology" continues to advance at the rate it does. While I don't condone "illegal" trails, I do admire a persons attempt to push his/her comfort levels. I think we all do! That's why we ride, right. I think this would have been a good experiment in "elevated" trails/building techniques. If done legally and with good planning, I could see a system being built with elevated sections thrown in. Not much different than some other examples that I could think of. As long as FOO supported the effort, and with enough volunteers, we could make it sustainable:thumbsup:

Whomever is responsible I'm sure has received a pretty clear message, though:nono: .

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Let me add that your voices are a lot louder when spoken in person. Just got back from a FOO meeting and I REALLY liked what DaGoat had to say. There has been a countinous increase in the number of participants at these meetings and you would do yourselves a favor by attending a few and/or contributing to their efforts.

Posting crap on the internet, anonymously, really does nothing to promote your view...MY .02

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
how hard is it to get stuff like this approved? If it is easy, then dumb as$ move. If they are a bunch of bureaucratic douches then you gotta do what you gotta do.

As a side note, we have millions of acres of terrain up here that nobody ever goes to, come on up and build away. I have been working hard all winter to be able to hit bigger drops and some stunts...I can actually ride a log now (man bigger tires help), so I would love to help build and would keep an eye on the "works," honestly, it seems like nobody cares.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
greg de taos said:
how hard is it to get stuff like this approved? If it is easy, then dumb as$ move. If they are a bunch of bureaucratic douches then you gotta do what you gotta do.

As a side note, we have millions of acres of terrain up here that nobody ever goes to, come on up and build away. I have been working hard all winter to be able to hit bigger drops and some stunts...I can actually ride a log now (man bigger tires help), so I would love to help build and would keep an eye on the "works," honestly, it seems like nobody cares.
Probably not that difficult given the avenues that FOO has opened up. I think that it is VERY important to support their efforts. They have the resources to make things happen and an ability to approach things from a neutral perspective given the variety of people that are involved.

That said, I enjoyed the feature while it lasted. I think that it was indeed a good experiment on the part of the builders. I think that elevated portions on trails with some "native" woodwork would go a long way to ease of maintenance in some areas..plus, providing an easy solution to adding some technical features. I would be pretty concerned if entire trails popped up and I could see that as being an eyesore. But, strategically placed woodwork would do a lot to open up other areas where "trails" may have not been considered. There should be a good balance with the native woodwork and "terrain" features (As DaGoat has eluded to)

Aesthetically that section of a bootleg stunt looked no more out of place than the big arse concrete drainage ditch no more than 20' away. How 'bout those cool telephone polls that dot the trails masquerading as erosion control....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Then why not get approved and build a gnarly line through the area, seems like such great terrain to really go off. I have never ridden there but starting the 1st of Feb. I will get plenty of chances

I don't think that ladder looks like it was put there to protect the native environment or ease maintenance, it looks to be put there because it was fun.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
ScottW said:
Why is everyone acting like the builders are a mystery? mtb123 posted a video and said he and others built it.
Please make no mistake, I purposely did not provide any details about the feature that I was referring to. I'm pretty sure the line into that bridge was intended to come from the other side, actually. I was accessing the boardwalk from another rock feature, completely separate from the intended line as far as I could tell. I felt the additional line to the "existing" boardwalk just provided a more technical alternative...that's all.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
greg de taos said:
Then why not get approved and build a gnarly line through the area, seems like such great terrain to really go off. I have never ridden there but starting the 1st of Feb. I will get plenty of chances

I don't think that ladder looks like it was put there to protect the native environment or ease maintenance, it looks to be put there because it was fun.
There is already a pretty gnarly line that lead right to this feature. I believe notaknob and I were responsible for providing those opportunities.

I agree that this particular feature appears to be more stunt oriented. But the "idea" could actually prove useful. If done legally and with a little planning.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Please make no mistake, I purposely did not provide any details about the feature that I was referring to. I'm pretty sure the line into that bridge was intended to come from the other side, actually. I was accessing the boardwalk from another rock feature, completely separate from the intended line as far as I could tell. I felt the additional line to the "existing" boardwalk just provided a more technical alternative...that's all.
Everyone will try to hang you anyway Bryan... don't even waste your time. Just watch how far this goes from here. Your gonna be attacked from all angles...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
Looks well built at least! I'd say put these guys/gals to work in a more constructive manner, but one that is conducive to their expectation.

The "products" that are being pushed onto the market is not balanced with the terrain that is available to "ride" them. What I mean is; the average trail bike is 5.5-6" of travel these days. Your average "loop" in the foothills will not satisfy an agro rider with this much to compensate. I don't see an end to this type of behavior as long as the "technology" continues to advance at the rate it does. While I don't condone "illegal" trails, I do admire a persons attempt to push his/her comfort levels. I think we all do! That's why we ride, right. I think this would have been a good experiment in "elevated" trails/building techniques. If done legally and with good planning, I could see a system being built with elevated sections thrown in. Not much different than some other examples that I could think of. As long as FOO supported the effort, and with enough volunteers, we could make it sustainable:thumbsup:

Whomever is responsible I'm sure has received a pretty clear message, though:nono: .
You are reaching a bit with your assessment aren't you? Not all bikes available have 6" of travel, have you not been to ABC?

I have been going to the BMX track regularly, because I wanted more challenge. I didn't go build illegal trails.
You can't justify bad behavior by saying there is demand for it. I'm sure you don't justify drunk driving because you have to get home from the bar, right? Society only works when people follow the rules. I don't think they started giving out "special" buttons yet, so that includes everyone.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
delnorte said:
Everyone will try to hang you anyway Bryan... don't even waste your time. Just watch how far this goes from here. Your gonna be attacked from all angles...
It's actually refreshing to know who you can count on for support. I'd much rather deal with people on a level that is true to their spirit. I can appreciate knowing who you can trust these days. Sometimes it takes a misunderstanding like this to get to know the personalities that you are dealing with. I quit being let down long ago. I prefer to focus on the experience. If I got caught up in peoples attitudes/opinions I would have a hard time volunteering as much as I do.

Funny, the people that are the most vocal (with the exception of a few) mostly do nothing to further their own riding opportunities. Not even something as simple as encouraging and utilizing the resources of a willing group of riders in a local advocacy group...but they are quick to criticize any "illegal" activity. Some of them I know ride/rode plenty of trails that were initially considered bootleg.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
oldmanjoe said:
You are reaching a bit with your assessment aren't you? Not all bikes available have 6" of travel, have you not been to ABC?

I have been going to the BMX track regularly, because I wanted more challenge. I didn't go build illegal trails.
You can't justify bad behavior by saying there is demand for it. I'm sure you don't justify drunk driving because you have to get home from the bar, right? Society only works when people follow the rules. I don't think they started giving out "special" buttons yet, so that includes everyone.
True, true. I won't argue that at all.

I'm saying that sometimes it takes venturing into some grey areas to raise awareness of what "could be". Like I said, I think that a pretty strong message has been sent. I also appreciate the "idea" of elevated trails in the foothills. As I have stated I think there can be a very interesting balance between native woodwork and natural fill. We have the opportunity to develop a very unique riding experience here.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.