Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a flat section after a long uphill, and I stopped to talk to another biker, then when I got back on bike and start pedaling, bam, the rear derailler just falls down, chain jams in it sideways and breaks too. I don't think I hit it on anything, and there was no damage to derailler itself. I was also in middle ring, so I don't think it is was cross chaining. My bike is stock with only 300 miles on it.

The derailler hanger piece looks very narrow to me compared to other bikes, probably so it would fit under the ABP.
Also, it doesn't look like there is a way to replace it on the trail even if you had a spare unless you have a big wrench with you for the ABP nut, which is screwed onto the hanger. The RD hanger is actually part of the ABP, it goes through the pivot, and the skewer goes through a hole in it.
Has anyone else had this happen to them, and was it covered under the 1 year warranty? If not, what was the price of the RD hanger, and also, does anyone have the exact procedure for replacing it?
I think I may need to get a spare one also and carry a big wrench around so I don't get stranded again, because I think the hanger piece is too narrow and this will happen again.

·
WooHoo Biking!!!!
205 Posts
The derailleur hanger is made to break rather than having the derailleur itself break. It is usually a wear and tear item and should only cost $25-30. Usually I keep an extra one in my camelbak when I ride.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
goodvibe said:
The derailleur hanger is made to break rather than having the derailleur itself break. It is usually a wear and tear item and should only cost $25-30. Usually I keep an extra one in my camelbak when I ride.
Unfortunately, ABP derailler hanger on the 2008 is part of the rear pivot, it also acts as an axle for the bearing. There is no way to take it off without a specific wide wrench for the pivot nut, and has a specific torque spec, so a multi-tool won't be enough.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. Probably was covered because it just snapped, no impact on the derailler itself. The guy at the store hasn't seen one broken yet, and had to order the part from Trek and they move a lot of these. Probably just got lucky then.
I also will buy a spare just in case. Now I just need to find the lightest 22mm wrench I can get. I also want something that won't scratch up the paint on the bolt.

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
senseamp said:
I also will buy a spare just in case. Now I just need to find the lightest 22mm wrench I can get. I also want something that won't scratch up the paint on the bolt.
good idea

Not sure how much luck you're going to have finding a lightweight 22mm wrench....

It's a mountain bike for gods sake, it's gonna get scratches

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.