Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced creeky noises from their Trek patented ABP swingarm?

I have neglected my shock linkage and the ABP linkage for awhile now, and am experiencing some irritating noises that sound like its coming from the ABP.

Is it easy to service?

Also, which bolts on all the shock linkage stuff is reverse threaded?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has anybody experienced creeky noises from their Trek patented ABP swingarm?

I have neglected my shock linkage and the ABP linkage for awhile now, and am experiencing some irritating noises that sound like its coming from the ABP.

Is it easy to service?

Also, which bolts on all the shock linkage stuff is reverse threaded?
I thought I had ABP noise/creaking but after disassembly, cleaning and reassembly the noise came back shortly after, same process again and same outcome. Ended up swapping out the wheel (stock bontrager wheel on a slash 9.9) and noise disappeared.

Broke down the hub, cleaned and reassembled but noise still came back quickly.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
ABP is having a rear triangle pivot between the chain stays and seat stays concentric with the rear wheel axle. In contrast, Horst link puts that pivot in the chain stay just in front of the rear axle.

·
Community Manager at Trek
592 Posts
You can remove the ABP nuts to separate the seatstay and chainstay to clean it if needed. Perhaps it is gritty and that could be creating noise. Otherwise, you may want to confirm if it is other items as the APB bearings are hard pressed into the chainstay and tend to be very difficult to make creak.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Active Braking Pivot, or when brakes are applied the rear suspension does not lock up.
IMO, that's mainly marketing blather. Whether or not the brake interacts with the suspension depends on how the caliper moves as the sus compresses. If the caliper does not rotate but rather moves up and down as the sus compresses, it will have little interaction with the sus. In Trek's ABP case, the caliper is mounted to the seat stay which moves more or less up and down and doesn't rotate as the sus compresses due the rear pivot and rotation of the rocker, which lifts the front of the seat stay up as the suspension compresses. This can be achieved to varying degree with other rear kinematics. Horst link bikes with a rocker similar to Trek's will be the same.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Believe it or not, this was the prick squeaking on my bike. Sounded like the pivots but was the shifter housing rubbing. Put a piece of gorilla tape over the rubbed spot... no squeak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.