Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 Accord Sedan and want to get a rack like this (see below)

has anyone done this? about how much would a hitch cost, plus installation. and no i dont want some other kind of rack. a friend has the same rack and its freakin nice. tho i might get one that only holds 2 bikes

thanks

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,516 Posts
I would not suggest that rack, look at the Thule T2 or similer type that uses "trays". Those old hanging style (basic style is from at least 10 years ago now) allow the bikes to swing and bash into each other, as well as they are dependant on the frame shape, which might leave you or a buddy out of luck on the rack.

There are much more modern designs and the Thule is only one of them, it's kind of the "standard", but there are several that actually improve upon it, as well as some cheaper ones that have most of the features.

Check out etrailer.com or uhaul to learn about hitches. I'm sure there are some for your car. Hitch racks can save a decent amount of gas over the lifespan of your rack/vehicle, as well as not require you to lift the bikes to the top just to put them on or take off wheels and stuff.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah, that rack holds our bikes perfect and theres holsters that hang down that hold the bikes, keeping them from banging into one another. it works really good and im very protective of my bike paint, so its a go

ill check etrailer tho

thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with Jayem, I have that style of rack for my Envoy or truck, whatever I am using, It is a pain sometimes because you can't get the back of the vehicle open when it is installed. You can lean it down but that is a pain with bikes on it. The thule T2 or that style would have several advantages, take a look at your bike, my full suspension bike does not hang well because of the design so I use the Yakima top frame adapter that hooks the seat to the stem so the bike hangs level and avoids hanging from the frame. Also, with out the adapter, you ARE gonna scratch the bottom of the frame no matter how careful you are lifting it up on the rack. If I had to do it over again, I would get the other style, You can leave it on and not have to take it off when you are done riding like I do just so I can use the back of my vehicles.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree with Jayem, I have that style of rack for my Envoy or truck, whatever I am using, It is a pain sometimes because you can't get the back of the vehicle open when it is installed. You can lean it down but that is a pain with bikes on it. The thule T2 or that style would have several advantages, take a look at your bike, my full suspension bike does not hang well because of the design so I use the Yakima top frame adapter that hooks the seat to the stem so the bike hangs level and avoids hanging from the frame. Also, with out the adapter, you ARE gonna scratch the bottom of the frame no matter how careful you are lifting it up on the rack. If I had to do it over again, I would get the other style, You can leave it on and not have to take it off when you are done riding like I do just so I can use the back of my vehicles.
Agreed..

I have a 2 place platform and will never place my bike on a hanging rack.

I also use the platform stand to work on my bike. Makes a half decent ghetto workstand.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,936 Posts
Make sure you get the right size receiver size. There is the 1 1/4" and the larger, standard trailer hitch size (3"?)

It sounds like you only want the receiver and not the electrical since you will not be using a trailer. I wouldn't either on an Accord!

If you want cheap, class III receiver hitches, try AutoAccessoriesGarage.com - Auto Accessories, Car & Truck Accessories, Aftermarket Performance Parts
The shipping is not the fastest but it is free in lots of instances.

If you need it fast, U-haul has a hitch for most vehicles and usually in stock. All you need to do is go over to the local site after you confirm they have it. They can even install it for you if you wish (extra fee, of course) U-Haul

You just need to make sure you have enough clearance under the car for the hitch. We have a Toyota minivan and the clearance is a bit unnerving. It has never been a problem other than on steep driveways.

I agree with the other posters, a tray model bike rack is superior but if you already have the rack, go with it. It sounds like you have already used it successfully a number of times.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
a hitch would run probably between 125 and 150. like this one: Trailer Hitch by Curt for 1999 Accord - C11290

i installed one myself on my hyundai elantra and it wasn't that bad at all- probably around an hour job or so. mine is the hidden hitch brand and love it since i can only see the receiver and that's it.

i agree with the possible clearance issue on non-trucks.

i know you already said you're set on the rack you posted; however, hear me out. not only do i like the tray style better because the bikes are more secure, but that type of rack has more clearance. if you are thinking about getting a rack for only two bikes, the tray style is a no brainer- seriously. i had the hanging type and it wasn't bad but the tray is a lot better. fwiw, i ended up with the performance bike xport tray style one.

enjoy!
ez

Reactions: Curtis C

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have on of the "hold by the wheel" style racks, a Saris Cycle-On. It's nice. But it has some drawbacks people often don't mention to -
1. It's friekin' heavy as hell
2. It's really expensive
3. Some of then touch the frame - I think the Thule touches the front fork. Mine doesn't...however, this whole "omg it touches the frame" thing is waaaaaaaay overblown. Your paint job on your bike might not stay perfect, I don't know when I had one I never noticed. But instead it clamps the front wheel - mine has always been fine, but if your front wheel fails while riding you're very, very screwed. If your frame fails it's not as catastrophic - it sounds like it would be, but the worst thing to have fail is actually either the front wheel or the front fork.
4. If you have a 1.25" hitch, no way to carry 4 bikes with the "hold by the wheel" style rack. Carrying 3 bikes is also difficult, I only know of 2 racks that will do even 3.

In no way am I saying that one shouldn't get a "hold by the wheel" style of rack, just that I think they're benefits are a little overblown on the forums usually.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just bought a Thule T-2. Taking it out for a virgin run tomorrow morning but already can tell it's a stout unit. I love the "tray style" racks, so much easier for my wife to use and less fuss. The one we got has built in locks too.

Reactions: Curtis C

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, maybe ill look into the platform racks. i was just trying to keep the $ down and i really like my friends Thule. thing is built like a tank. also, ill probably only be caring 2 bikes

thanks for all the info!

keep it coming!

·
Registered
273 Posts
With all do respect, that rack isn't very nice. I have a Honda Fit with a DrawTite hitch rack and 1Up USA Quick Rack. Best rack on the market in my opinion, with Kuat a very close second. Thule and Yakima are heavy, poorly designed and cumbersome. They've just been around the longest so people assume they're good products.

1up USA Ultra Rack
He may be right, or he may have weak upper body strength, or poor lifting techniques...who knows.;) The T-2 may not be as nice as those models, but I had no problem assembling, installing, or using the T-2. The T-2 is also readily available and only cost $350 at REI with a 20% coupon and $28 of dividend dollars...No brainer for me. A cheap rack costs $150, so I took it as a fair price.
Another thing I liked about it was that if it started to rust, it looked easy to disassemble for paint-prep.

Either way, I will enjoy my purchace without looking to see what I might have had. It's just a rack and you can't ride it! Unless the other guy says he got it for less than $350!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't want to get into the other comments, but to be fair the Thule t-2 (and actually most other "hold by the wheel" style racks including the top contenders from Saris and Yakama) weigh 40-50 pounds for 2 bikes. Now those racks also have attachments that allow you to put up to 2 more bikes on them for 4 bikes total, I think I've seen some other 2 bike only "hold by the wheel" style racks that are a little light, but I think they're like 30 pounds.

Lifting a 40 pound rack from my garage to my car in my driveway is not a big deal for me, but I can see why it might be for other people in worse shape.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Notice all the differing opinions? Different stuff will work best for different people. You've found a rack you like. I'd go with that one if I were you.

As for the hitch, I got a receiver from Curt and it has been great. Although the bike rack is all that will ever be connected to my receiver, I went with the 2" over the 1.25". The reason was the rack I intended to purchase worked natively with a 2" and used an adapter with 1.25". Due to the adapter design, this would have had the effect of lowering and extending the whole rack a few inches and potentially creating clearance problems. This is a long-winded way of saying to look into whether the receiver size will be consequential with your choice of rack as it was with mine.

-Pete

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a Softride Access Dura 4-Bike Rack. It allows you to lower the bike rack away from the rear hatch to allow access. The nice thing is that it keeps the bike upright as you lower the rack, which also helps in mounting the bike onto the rack.

It can be used for 2" hitch receivers, but also has an attachment to allow 1.25" hitch receivers. Yes, it IS heavy, but I just carry it over my shoulder as I attach it to the hitch.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Notice all the differing opinions? Different stuff will work best for different people. You've found a rack you like. I'd go with that one if I were you.
Yeah, frankly, if a friend of mine had one and I really liked it I'd get that one - for sure. :) You have a lot lower chance of getting it then finding something you can't stand about it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
so these Uhaul hitches just bolt on, theyre not welded on?

if you just bolt them on, id probably just do it myself
They bolt on. But depending on your particular car, it can be very easy to very troublesome to install one. For instance, I installed a hitch on my Civic and I had to do some cutting with a dremel. A different year civic, or perhaps a coupe vs a sedan and I might have had no trouble. Point is, the hitch manufacturers will list a span of models/years that a particular hitch will fit, but they don't test it on every variation. So be prepared if it isn't as seamless as you hope.

On another note, I agree with the poster that said to get a hitch rack with trays vs. the hanging style. I have a Yakima hanging style and I really wish I had got trays. Some bikes are just a pain to get on the hanging rack and they'd be real easy to put in trays.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.