Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really psyched to get this bike, after browsing the forums here I am a little nervous about purchasing it. Any 2004 Cake 1/ Cake owners have reassurances or should I back off and look for something else? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have the 2004 Cake 1 DLX, and I am a frustrated guy. When this bike WORKS, it works great.

However, the issues you've probably read about with the swingarm pivots that loosen is getting WORSE, not better:

--Fisher claimed that it was just a question of some missing Loc-tite, and suggested bike owners/shops use green Loctite to resecure the loose-fit bearings in the swingarm. Of course, green loctite (the filler version) will loosen over time, as any owner of SweetWings cranks (used the same system of loose fit and green loctite) can attest;

--Fisher apparently realized this loctite idea was actually a bad deal, and redesigned the 2005 swingarms to use one more bearing, larger bearings and a bolt/pin setup that can be torqued more firmly so it doesn't loosen-up;

--Fisher published a memo to all dealers admitting the design change and advertising that they would give 2 of the newer, slightly larger bearings, the new pivot pin and the new pivot bolts to any Cake owner for free, as a permanent retrofit repair. The Dealer Announcement reads:

3) OLD CAKE, NEW FIX
For 2003 and 2004 Cake models that have developed play in the main pivot we offer
FREE pivot repair kits (261425) to remedy any problematic bikes. Our technical
support staff can answer any questions about repair. Installation of this pivot repair kit is
quick and effective, it includes:
Tighter tolerance 25mm cartridge bearings
High torque spec pivot bolt
Pin spanner ready pivot axle
Please review this information with your staff to ensure that your customers receive
accurate information if they come to you with questions. We will openly provide this
information to consumers if they contact us but all servicing must be done by an
authorized dealer.

--Now, Fisher dealer reps and online Customer service are claiming the loctite is all that's needed, even where a previous application has failed, and that "there is no such repair kit". However, under repeated inquiry, a Customer Service rep admitted yesterday that the kit does exist, that it works way better than using loctite paste on a loose bearing, and that Fisher is trying to make Cake owners go away without providing the kit they advertised.

So, if you're buying that Cake on a good deal from your dealer, I suggest you balk and let them know exactly why. When dealers realize they're stuck with '04 Cakes because Customers KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM, then the dealers will make Fisher pony up. If the dealer tries to shine you on about how it's all been figured out and all you need is loctite or a new bolt, tell him to screw off, and use a voice calm and loud enough that other customers know the dealer is trying to scam customers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
make sure you have a good dealer that will take care of any problems. my dealer has taken care of me very well. most of my problems were related to components. the pivot deal has been worked on a couple times and now i am waiting for the parts for the swing arm replacement. But, they let me keep my old parts on my bike while i wait so i can keep riding. i have put in about a hundred miles this spring with no problems on the frame except that it creaks until i get the swing arm.

If your dealer isn't helping, go to a different dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.