Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so it's about time to upgrade my trek 3700. I'm looking for a 26" full sus, spending no more than $3k. I ride in the San Antonio area, so a lot of single track but some good rocky technical stuff mixed in, and I'll probably do some of the XC races for fun around too. No huge downhills really. I'm looking for 120mm-140mm of suspension, a good warranty, and lots of smiles. I wish I could test ride them all for a month, but that's not happening. I've been shopping by bike shops in town--

Everyone seems to have pretty similar components

Shop A (Sells at MSRP, gives 1 year unlimited maintenance, best rep in town, I know all the mechs):

12' Stumpjumper FSR Comp 26" - $2750 - 140mm travel
Pros: 2x10, tubeless out of box, 12x142 rear, elixir 7 brakes
Cons: no front TA, proprietary rear shock (not sure how triad ii matches up vs rp2)

12' Giant Trance X2 - $2750 - 125mm travel
Pros: Front TA, everyone loves Maestro
Cons: wheels can't be converted to tubeless, no rear TA, elixir 5 brakes

They also sell Santa Cruz bikes, but they're a bit pricey and only have a 2 year warranty which worries me. The Blur LT is kind of a wild card.

Shop B (Sells a bit below MSRP, good rep, don't know anyone there)

12' Trek Fuel Ex 8 - $2500-$2650 - 120mm travel
Pro: DRCV front/rear shocks and front TA, slx brakes, good wheels, tubeless
Cons: lowest travel, no rear TA

There's also a Cannondale and Jamis dealer in town, though I'm not familiar with the shops. I'm leaning pretty heavily to the stumpy, but this is a lot of money and I'm kind of a research whore, and I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully I'll be on my new ride within a month. What are your thoughts guys??

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'd ride them all. Right now, Im in the same search and its frustrating to choose which one is the best. In the end, Im ultimately going to choose which frame fits me best.

Now, as far as shops and MSRP. There is wiggle room there. I have a few LBS's that sell Specialized and one refuses to budge while the other will knock off the MRSP about 10% to help offset the tax on the higher end bikes. Come end of the model year, one goes down about 15% and the other is around 30%.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd ride them all. Right now, Im in the same search and its frustrating to choose which one is the best. In the end, Im ultimately going to choose which frame fits me best.

Now, as far as shops and MSRP. There is wiggle room there. I have a few LBS's that sell Specialized and one refuses to budge while the other will knock off the MRSP about 10% to help offset the tax on the higher end bikes. Come end of the model year, one goes down about 15% and the other is around 30%.
Yeah the dealer here hasn't even discounted the 2011s yet let alone order 2012s. They've had the same 11 stumpy comps on the shelf for months now though, I don't think anyone here is buying high end bikes. I can order it through them myself no problem though.

I can get an NOS 2010 Nomad with a Lyrik for that. Thats what I would get.
I'm really looking in the 120-140mm range. Not really an AM rider

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If you can wait, I'll link up what I think is a great deal on a bike. Just need to order mine first since my luck, you'd get the last one of the one I want. I have that kind of luck. Should be ordering in a day or 2.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'd shop around then. Ive even ventured out a little bit to see how the other LBS treat their customers. Its quite obvious that some shops really just dont care but give the feeling they do.

·
Registered
974 Posts
all the local shops in my area have discounted the 2011's and had 2012s in stock..

The 2011 EX8s are going for $2000

Almost bought one but decided on a 2011 Cannondale RZ 120 with the lefty instead (also $2000)

If I hadnt been able to find a large RZ to test ride, (I refuse to buy a bike I cant test ride first), I would have went with the EX8

·
Registered
706 Posts
most trail bikes 5" to 5.5" from the big manufacturers are not going to come with a thru axle in the rear. and the giant with its solid rear triangle isn't going to benefit from it anyways. Why cant you convert the giant to tubeless? Because the rim are not UST? That something a little gorilla tape and Stans can fix. But to answer the OP. Trance X all the way, only because I have one. any that ride all of them and whichever one feels the best buy it. you really cant go wrong with any of those choices.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was in a similar boat as you earlier in the summer. Demo'd/rented a Trek EX8, Ibis Mojo SL and Santa Cruz Blur LT. The very high standover height on the Giant freaked me out a bit (no room for error when bailing).
Ended up going with the Blur LT for that extra bit of travel, which here in Utah is handy. The Trek was a very close second.
Depending on what you will be riding, the shorter travel Trek might be a better fit.

That said, you can get a carbon Blur LT for a good price right now: Santa Cruz Bicycles Blur LTc Bike - R AM - 2011 from Hucknroll.com

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I was in a similar boat as you earlier in the summer. Demo'd/rented a Trek EX8, Ibis Mojo SL and Santa Cruz Blur LT. The very high standover height on the Giant freaked me out a bit (no room for error when bailing).
Ended up going with the Blur LT for that extra bit of travel, which here in Utah is handy. The Trek was a very close second.
Depending on what you will be riding, the shorter travel Trek might be a better fit.

That said, you can get a carbon Blur LT for a good price right now: Santa Cruz Bicycles Blur LTc Bike - R AM - 2011 from Hucknroll.com
Damm you, I have to wait til Monday to pull my funds together, this is what I was getting, hopefully they still have them then. That's why I wasn't posting it til later

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
All I'd say is to stick to the shop where you now the people and have a reputation, down the road I'm sure it'll be worth more than the few $ you saved on the initial purchase. One thing, never been to Austin, so don't know trails, but if you plan to race a 140mm is gone be a bit much if you're serious about it, I'd limit it to 120mm travel. Had a Trance and loved it, if I was going to race would look at the AnthemX.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Which one do you like riding best?

Doesn't matter how much it costs or what parts are attached to it or who makes it, if you like riding it then it's the best bike you can own.

·
Nickel Havr
1,177 Posts
Ride em all.... Thats the only way to know whats best for you....

For me? It was a Santa Cruz Nickel...
It climbs like a hardtail but floats over everything!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alright so it's about time to upgrade my trek 3700. I'm looking for a 26" full sus, spending no more than $3k. I ride in the San Antonio area, so a lot of single track but some good rocky technical stuff mixed in, and I'll probably do some of the XC races for fun around too. No huge downhills really. I'm looking for 120mm-140mm of suspension, a good warranty, and lots of smiles.
I'm in the same boat Moose! Been taking a look at buying new bike as well.

Will any shop you know well let you test/demo any of the bikes that you're interested on the trails?

$ 3k would be alot of money for me and to really know what bike is for you, you should test it out. IMO that would be one of the benefits of buying local.

Also have you tested/looked at any of the 29rs? You can get a very nice bike for your budget and they may surprise you with the ride, plus from my own experience they are more beginner friendly in that you can get away with mistakes on technical parts of trails due to bigger wheels. What ever you wind up getting post the pics! We like pics :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in the same boat Moose! Been taking a look at buying new bike as well.

Will any shop you know well let you test/demo any of the bikes that you're interested on the trails?

$ 3k would be alot of money for me and to really know what bike is for you, you should test it out. IMO that would be one of the benefits of buying local.

Also have you tested/looked at any of the 29rs? You can get a very nice bike for your budget and they may surprise you with the ride, plus from my own experience they are more beginner friendly in that you can get away with mistakes on technical parts of trails due to bigger wheels. What ever you wind up getting post the pics! We like pics :D
Actually I'm looking into the stumpy fsr 29er now too! Im going to start test riding bikes from shop A. I think they have an epic, 26 stumpy and maybe 29 as well.

I'm not looking to win any cat1 races otherwise I'd be going with a HT29er. I'll be sure to post up what I go with in the next month!

So, thoughts on 29 stumpy fsr comp?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.