Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I am looking at 3 different Specialized bikes... I figured I could make a post in here also since this is where the experience is!
(just pasted the post below from my other post in "What bike to get")

Hello everyone!

Well am about to get back into biking for the first time since I bought a Proflex 656 about 10yrs ago (and was stolen 9yrs ago haha)!

Am looking at the following bike: 06 Rockhopper Comp Disc. LBS is asking $1049 CDN for it, managed to get it down to $999 CDN + tax. Awesome bike for sure since it has everything I'd like to have.

However... it's a little more than I first intended to spend. Until today I was considering one of the following:

05 Rockhopper Comp ($649 CDN)
or
05 Hardrock Pro Disc ($649 CDN)

I like the 05 RH Comp but don't like the front shock. I know it's easy enough to swap out, but then by the time I add something decent I am close to the price of the 06 RH Comp Disc (and then have disc brakes too which the 05 RH Comp doesn't have).

The 05 HR PD has a nice package for a good price... but I hear mixed things about it.

I've taken all 3 of the bikes for a little ride and they all feel comfortable. The RH's feel lighter of course, but I am 250lbs so saving a few pounds isn't critical to me ;)

Main use of the bike will be to ride it daily for exercise/fun - pavement, dirt roads, bike trails... then on weekends to take it to the hills/mountains for a little more fun. Nothing too crazy... yet anyways. Maybe once I get better at riding and drop some weight I will consider a little more aggressive riding.

Was hoping to get some advice from someone that has experience with both the RH and HR bikes - want to make sure it's worth the extra $350 to do the upgrade.

Component-wise... the HR Pro Disc and RH Comp Disc seem to be fairly close... RH has nicer fork and frame of course though.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long first post :)

·
Humpmaster general
472 Posts
I would stay away from any bike that uses JoyTech hubs and Tektro brakes. That would eliminate both of your 2005 choices.

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Seeing that you are only going to use it for road, dirt and possibly trails then i would go for the 05 Hardrock disc. Now for the most part you seem to think that the fork is not good on it and also other say that some of the components aren't good as well.

To me for the type of riding that you are going to be doing it should be perfectly fine and should not have any issues performance wise. If anything I feel that you will be content with your purchase. Now the reason that I choose the 05 hardrock disc is becuase for one it has disc breaks, which to me would be choice and would have more stopping power. The second reason would be that the Hardrock is stronger and is meant to take a little more abuse. Now for someone of your wieght and size it would be perfect for you because of it's durabilty.

Unless you are an avid mountain bike that hits the trials hard you will not have any problems with components on the bike. UNLESS you will crashing a lot. The lower end components on those types of bike seem to not be able to take the abuse at all and bend really easy like the rear derailleur, but that would be on any of those bikes you have choosen. Just a tip.

I have riden both those bike "not owned", and have had friends who I ride with, own them as well. So I have see what abuse and how the performance that bike is capable of. And for the most part it is a pretty decent bike even with the components that eveyone is suggesting not to get. But again for what you are going to use it for it is more then suffiecient and if you can get the better bike for the same price then go for it. No need to get the 06 or pay more untill your ready to upgrade or feel that skills and mountain biking is going to another level.

Hope this helps

·
bang
1,290 Posts
Jack Hass said:
I would stay away from any bike that uses JoyTech hubs and Tektro brakes. That would eliminate both of your 2005 choices.
i dunno what you're looking at, but the specs on the webstate say those bikes (with discs) use avid bb5's.

anyhow, i'd shoot for the rockhopper comp. it has slightly better components than the hardrock bikes. slap some good brake pads on (i use koolstop dual-compound mtb pads) and the stopping power will be perfectly fine. the fork (the website says manitou splice comp) on the rockhoppers is better than the marzocchi mz comp on the hardrock. i don't know if the specs on the bikes you are looking at are any different or not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the Manitou Splice Comp is better than the Marzocchi MZ Comp?? Well I figured they were about even... very entry level forks. Both would need upgrading down the road for sure I guess.
Just nice that the HR already has discs since it's not cheap to upgrade the wheels and buy the discs.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
well, according to manitou's and marzocchi's specs, the splice has the better dampening system. i don't know if that particular fork is coil or air sprung (manitou's website says air sprung; specialized's says coil), but it sure beats an elastomer fork like the marzocchi mz.

as for disc brakes, it doesn't have to cost much if you don't want it to. the only time v-brakes are inadequate is in mud (which you shouldn't be riding in anyway), heavy rain or snow. perhaps extended downhills (i wouldn't know about that, there are no mountains where i live). good pads and keeping the pad / rim surface clean will go a long way towards providing good stopping power.

you're call i guess, disc brakes on the hardrock or slightly better components (rear derailer / fork) of the rockhopper.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cyco-Dude said:
well, according to manitou's and marzocchi's specs, the splice has the better dampening system. i don't know if that particular fork is coil or air sprung (manitou's website says air sprung; specialized's says coil), but it sure beats an elastomer fork like the marzocchi mz.

as for disc brakes, it doesn't have to cost much if you don't want it to. the only time v-brakes are inadequate is in mud (which you shouldn't be riding in anyway), heavy rain or snow. perhaps extended downhills (i wouldn't know about that, there are no mountains where i live). good pads and keeping the pad / rim surface clean will go a long way towards providing good stopping power.

you're call i guess, disc brakes on the hardrock or slightly better components (rear derailer / fork) of the rockhopper.
Good points made! I may be out riding in heavy rain the odd time (we get sudden rain storms lately it seems)... I kinda enjoy it. However riding in the snow is iffy. I suppose a good set of v-brakes is prob as good as a cheap set of discs anyways eh?

I was pricing out some disc parts in case I went that route and wanted to upgrade... figure around $300 for the rotors, disc brakes themselves, cables and levers.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
i would go with good v-brakes over cheap disc brakes any day. the avid bb7 mechanical discs aren't very expensive though, and are the best mechanical discs out there (check the reviews for yourself). you could go discs for less than $450 cad (front and rear bb7, xt disc wheelset).

there is another hardrock vs rockhopper thread with a couple more opinions. and if it hasn't already been mentioned, check out the bike reviews of the bikes you are looking at.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Avid BB5's on the HR Pro and the RH Comp... so not sure how cheap those are.
Looked at some reviews for them but mixed feelings... same as anything I guess.

Add that $400-450 to the price of the HR or last years RH Comp non-disc and I could just get this years Comp Disc RH with the Tora forks too I suppose.

Worth upgrading to the BB7's over the 5's?

Thanks again!

·
bang
1,290 Posts
you can't adjust the outboard pad, so as it wears you have to increase the cable tension to get the pad close enough to the rotor. i have no experience with either of these brakes, but shiggy does, and he says the bb7 is the way to go. again, forum searches and digging through the product reviews (avid ball bearing disc brake; you'll have to look for specific bb5 reviews).

i'd get the lower end bike and upgrade it if the price is the same. you'ld end up with slightly better brakes and wheels. of course you could just use the stock bike as it is and upgrade as you go. good luck with stopping; upgraditis is a terrible disease :p

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
I thought both the BB5 and the BB7 use the Avid "CPS" centering position system. I know on my BB7 there are two red knobs you turn to adjust the position of each pad on the caliper. This sets the distance away the pad(s) is/are from the rotor when the brakes are NOT engaged.

Very easy in my opinion to setup. Each time I mount the wheel (which is each ride since the bike only fits in the trunk of the car with both wheels off) I check the brake lever engagement distance and the rolling resistance of the wheel. If either are off I put one click of turn in either or both the red knobs for each caliper to my liking. Coulding be simplier.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers! - I've looked at the BB-5's and didn't see that... so not sure if it has it. I'm sure someone with more xp will step in.

Cyco-Dude - no kidding! Upgrading is a huge and expensive-to-treat bug I've had for many years on all my cars (STi's, Corvette, T/A's, S4, etc). At least bikes are MUCH cheaper than modding cars! haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.