Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am about to make the leap from a Cannondale hardtail to a full suspension. I am pretty keen on the 2010 Giant Trance x1 but am not sure if what size to get. My current ride is a Cannondale F1 Caffeine (large) with a 62.2 cm horizontal top tube and a 120 mm stem. I really enjoy this slightly stretched out position and can ride for 3-4 hours without any problem. I am 180 cm tall and the lbs are saying a medium Trance(58.5 horizontal top tube) would be fine. They don't have any large models in stock and I am feeling a bit pressured. My feeling is that the Trance x1 Large (tob tube 61 cm) would be a better bet for me. I have ridden two mates bikes - one a medium trance and one a medium Reign. They both felt too small but I have never had a full suspension bike so I might be missing something.
Anyway, any Trance pilots out there who can shed some light on my problem?
Cheers
Jock

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
XC bikes tend to be a little more stretched out than Trail Bikes , so you can expect to feel a bit more upright on the 5 " bike .

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm 191cm and riding 2009 XL X2. It feels really short compared to what i used to have. I have to get longer stem to get more comfortable for XC but on trail the upright position is spot on.

The "right" frame size probably feels short for you because that's how it's meant to be. Depends on your intended usage whether you can live with it or not. Don't buy if you're going for XC. But if not, you'll be blown away by its ride when coming from HT.

Bottom line is, I don't really know which frame you should get :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't race at all but ride regularly with my mates on a mix of firetrails , xc stuff and some technical climbs and descents. I have always had the hardtail cos I didnt have anything else. I just want something a bit more forgiving for when I stuff things up!!!
It is a big purchase for me and I want to get it right. Unfortunatel I dont know anyone with a large Trance x1. Keep the advice coming!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm 185cm and am on a large frame. Sounds like you would be on the line there. According to the manual, Giant's sizing chart says the large fits 183cm to 193cm.

Have you had a chance to ride a medium? how did it feel to you?

Also, you said you've ridden a friend's trance...was that a standard trance or a trace x? I'm not sure but i would assue there might be geometry differences due to the bigger suspension on the X version

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure if it was a Trance X but it was at least a year old. There are not any new large Trance X1s in my state (Tasmania) to try and wont be until the end of February. Given I like the longer stretched out position on my Cannondale I think that a medium ( which would effectively be nearly 4 cm shorter in the horizontal than my cannondale) would not give me enough cockpit room. Even the large Trance is still 1.2 cm shorter and given I already use a 120mm stem it makes me think the medium would be too cramped.I have had an extensive ride on a large spec epic comp(similar dimensions to the large trance) and really liked it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't know if this is any help to you but anyway.....

I'm 5'7" and small build.

I had a Norco hardtail (medium) 18.5."

I was told 2 years after I brought it that it was "according to the book, too big for me."

I rode the (small) 16" at the time of purchase and felt cramped on it. No chance I was getting it.

I got a new medium size Trance X3 2 months ago. It fits me pretty well.

I think it would be a struggle on certain downhill sections and tight slow speed corners if I were 5" taller.

Waiting until a new one arrives at the shop to test it may be well worth while; it's a long time riding the wrong bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im 186 and i ride a large, a med was way too small and XL was bit too much bike for a trail oriented rig. I was riding a 21" XTC2 with the seat a fair way up but wanted a more nimble bike this time around.

Get the large mate

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I'm 169 and had a small trance (16") back in '06. I certainly wouldn't have gone larger, I just found the 52cm TT pretty spot on for me particularly with a short stem.
But in their XC hardtails I would be more like a 17", which was a small with a 570mm TT, and different but still comfortable size wise. But unlike you I'm not on the borderline for the sizing guide either.

Depends on your proportions too, sure you're 180cm but you might have long arms or legs etc so go with your gut feeling, nothing worse than getting a wrong size frame, it's not like the shop would exchange it for you. Maybe you could arrange to go for a decent ride on your friends medium?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, just had a few longer rides on a borrowed Trance 2(07 I think). This was a large and while it rode really well it was big!! It felt a bit like I was steering a super tanker. With the saddle height set and the bars as low as I could get them I thought that I was pretty comfortable but I found that while climbing some of our regular climbs the front of the bike got really light and wandered all over the place especially if I pulled a bit on the bars. Would this situation be improved on the medium as I could probably get more weight over the front?

Both shocks worked really well and I found myself going a fair bit faster through rough and rocky sections. So much so that just near the end of last nights ride i crashed as I was going quite a bit faster than I normally would and the front wheel just rolled out on some marble sized rocks. No damage to the bike but cuts, bruises and grazes all up my right side.

I am having a fitting with the LBS tomorrow on the medium frame Trance X1. They are still convinced that is my size but have backed off on actually encouraging me.

I checked my Cannondale and noticed that this frame I have now (09 replacement frame on warranty) is a large with 62 cm htt but the frame I rode for 7 years was a medium with 59 cm htt. Pretty close to the medium Trance I think.

I'll know more after tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
You'd be better off on a medium for sure. Try flipping, and lowering the stem to get more stretched out feeling on the Tx.

The front end is always going to feel light, compared to your HT, when climbing. It's the head angle. The Tx is going to ride in even more of an upright position than the '07 Trance, because of an even slacker geometry, and more travel. You will have to get used to shifting your weight forward on climbs. It's the drawback for having a slack geo for the downhills.

If you want something that is closer to the geometry of your HT (more stretched out, better tracking when climbing), you should look into an Anthem X. The Ax has 100mm of travel, same as your buddies regular Trance, and it's still pretty plush, but it climbs and steers faster than the Tx, and it's lighter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The deed has been done today. spent two hours at the local bike shop this morning. The resident guru was great and helped set me up initially on the medium. Long story short - after three stem changes and 4 test rides I was in love. took home the medium today with a 110 mm stem (instead of the stock 100). Flipped the stem and rolled the bars a bit forward and it felt great. Can't wait until the first shakedown ride tomorrow morning. Absolutely 100% positive that I ghave made the right choice.
Thanks to all for your comments!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I WANNA SEE PICTURES!!!....... :drumroll:........

I am dreaming about a 2010 X1 at the moment! Almost bought an 09, but the silver/blue combo just didn't do it for me, so im holding off for a 2010 model, but no one has them in the shops at the moment, only the X2's...

·
Registered
14 Posts
looks tops man! I like the aggressive colour scheme. Looks a bit different from the all the Giant promo pictures, like more of a matte black (if im correct?). Are you happy with the bike?? Hows it ride? etc...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.