Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am new to the forum as I have just ordered a moment with DHX to replace my SC Heckler. Everything is specced apart form the fork and I have a week to decide.

Ideally I think I want an adjustable fork up to 150mm. So at the moment the options are
Maz AM1
Pace RC40 Fighter
Fox 36.

Weight is not a great issue as im 215 lbs with gear however the pace is a full pound lighter for the same travel and apparently has good stiffness.

Any help, experience with these forks and other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and hello from the UK.


Mike C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
in case it's not too late

You may want to do a little more research and consider purchasing a frame from a reputable manufacturer.

Just a word of warning in case you haven't researched. If you have and still buy Ellsworth...nevermind and good luck.
 

·
The Ancient One
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
t66 said:
You may want to do a little more research and consider purchasing a frame from a reputable manufacturer.

Just a word of warning in case you haven't researched. If you have and still buy Ellsworth...nevermind and good luck.
This is a disreputable response. The guy has made his choice and is looking for advice. Your answer is gratuitous and cruel.
 

·
trail fairy
Joined
·
9,546 Posts
Polarbear enjoy your ride I've ridden the Moment for 9 months hard riding still love it and no problems with E or the bike.(surprised you’re getting rid of the Heckler though great bike too)

Another fork to consider might be the Z1 a bolt through fork will give you more freedom and riding options matches the Moment better, the nice thing about this fork is the ETA which is the best adjustable feature out there IMHO just helps when climbing and you still get 30mm of nice travel, an option anyway.

If you spend some time here it there is some great advice and seemingly great MTB people but get used to some of the negative and sometimes unnecessary banter by other brand owners unfortunate but reality take it for what it really is and be a free thinker, that way you'll enjoy your ride even more.

Good riding and enjoy!
 

·
Bodhisattva
Joined
·
10,845 Posts
I've never ridden the Pace & can't comment on it.

Between the Fox 36 & Marz Am-1, the 36 is the clear winner.

Stiffer, handles square-edged hits better, better compression control at slow speed and on-the-fly adjustable travel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
I love my Moment, rides very well and have had no problems to deal with. I have an AM1 on and its a great fork and seems to match up well. I have never ridden the 36 so I can't comment on it, but I will say that the AM1 seems to have better movement and seems more plush then any other fork I've tried (which happens to be mainly Fox Vanillas & Talas). The 36 seems like a completely different animal though and it sounds like Squeeky Wheel has ridden both and likes the 36. Personally, I don't really think you could go wrong either way.

Have fun and enjoy!

FB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your advice guys I will let you know how I get on when I get the bike in two weeks time.

t66 you sound like you have an axe to grind what is the root of your negative comments towards ellsworth and by the way no one likes people "p*ssing on their fire". In future if I post a thread I would appreciate you not wasting your or my time in responding.

I don't mind an objective opinion but your post did not seem to remotely address the question i was asking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The hell with it ive ordered a fox 36rc. If your going to get a moment then no point compromising on the fork, well thats my excuse and Im sticking too it. I like fox forks and have been riding a vanilla for the last two years and have not had any complaints.
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
have fun with your ride...

Polarbear said:
The hell with it ive ordered a fox 36rc. If your going to get a moment then no point compromising on the fork, well thats my excuse and Im sticking too it. I like fox forks and have been riding a vanilla for the last two years and have not had any complaints.
congrats... it's going to be a great bike...

post some pics and your impressions once you start riding...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Just a warning, thats all.

Polarbear said:
Thanks for your advice guys I will let you know how I get on when I get the bike in two weeks time.

t66 you sound like you have an axe to grind what is the root of your negative comments towards ellsworth and by the way no one likes people "p*ssing on their fire". In future if I post a thread I would appreciate you not wasting your or my time in responding.

I don't mind an objective opinion but your post did not seem to remotely address the question i was asking.
You say your new to the forum so I'm sure how well you've researched EW bikes. Not to say your research should be limited to MTBR but EW's reputation reaches well beyond this forum.

The Moment may suit and serve you well, it's no doubt a decent all-mountain bike. But, it's not all that EW bikes touts it to be. It's not 100% effecient as their advertising claims, but anyone who's taken HS science would realize that. Also, realize the bogus geometry specs when choosing sizes because EW advertises BB height and standover specs with a rider of unknow proportions sitting on the bike. More deception? You be the judge. Also realize that nobody at Ellsworth will even speak to you regarding warranty should you have a warranty claim. Do your own research on this one.

Maybe you know what your getting into. If so, I wish you many happy trails and hope you don't have problems. But if you don't know please research and make a well-informed choice. That is all.
 

·
The Ancient One
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
t66 said:
You say your new to the forum so I'm sure how well you've researched EW bikes. Not to say your research should be limited to MTBR but EW's reputation reaches well beyond this forum.

The Moment may suit and serve you well, it's no doubt a decent all-mountain bike. But, it's not all that EW bikes touts it to be. It's not 100% effecient as their advertising claims, but anyone who's taken HS science would realize that. Also, realize the bogus geometry specs when choosing sizes because EW advertises BB height and standover specs with a rider of unknow proportions sitting on the bike. More deception? You be the judge. Also realize that nobody at Ellsworth will even speak to you regarding warranty should you have a warranty claim. Do your own research on this one.

Maybe you know what your getting into. If so, I wish you many happy trails and hope you don't have problems. But if you don't know please research and make a well-informed choice. That is all.
As I said before, the man has already made his choice. You're not trying to help him; you're trying to make him feel bad.

As for your specific claims:

Ellsworth does not claim the bike is 100% efficient but that the suspension is 100% energy efficient. This means the bike is claimed to be as energy efficient as if it did not have suspension. This is certainly debatable but it isn't obvious from high school physics as would be the claim that the bike itself is 100% efficient.

The BB height and standover have been measured with the bike sagged. There's no deception because they tell you that. It has nothing to do with the size of the rider since the sag should be the same.

Someone will talk to you about your warranty. They apparently want to work through bike shops now as far as replacement goes, but they will still talk to you.
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
well said Steve...

i am glad that we are starting to address these issues - the right way.

Steve from JH said:
As I said before, the man has already made his choice. You're not trying to help him; you're trying to make him feel bad.

As for your specific claims:

Ellsworth does not claim the bike is 100% efficient but that the suspension is 100% energy efficient. This means the bike is claimed to be as energy efficient as if it did not have suspension. This is certainly debatable but it isn't obvious from high school physics as would be the claim that the bike itself is 100% efficient.

The BB height and standover have been measured with the bike sagged. There's no deception because they tell you that. It has nothing to do with the size of the rider since the sag should be the same.

Someone will talk to you about your warranty. They apparently want to work through bike shops now as far as replacement goes, but they will still talk to you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Steve from JH said:
the suspension is 100% energy efficient.
Sorry, but you are choosing to interpret that one way, and there are a variety of ways to interpret it. As usual, if that's what tony means (your interpretation) he doesn't fully explain it and leaves out critical information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
Jm. said:
Sorry, but you are choosing to interpret that one way, and there are a variety of ways to interpret it. As usual, if that's what tony means (your interpretation) he doesn't fully explain it and leaves out critical information.
I agree with you on this issue. It's basically just marketing bullsh!t. It's not totally harmless, but it's also not going to have much of any real life effect either. Maybe there's some bonehead out there that buys the bike because he thinks it's more efficient than the rest, but for the most part....just advertising.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
Polarbear said:
Hi guys I am new to the forum as I have just ordered a moment with DHX to replace my SC Heckler. Everything is specced apart form the fork and I have a week to decide.

Ideally I think I want an adjustable fork up to 150mm. So at the moment the options are
Maz AM1
Pace RC40 Fighter
Fox 36.

Weight is not a great issue as im 215 lbs with gear however the pace is a full pound lighter for the same travel and apparently has good stiffness.

Any help, experience with these forks and other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and hello from the UK.

Mike C
Congrats on the purchase. I went riding with a couple of guys last week and one had a moment. It's a purdy bike. Enjoy the ride. I think he had a Fox 36...I may be wrong. I know he really likes the bike though.

Enjoy the ride!
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top