Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the alp today and Im thrilled, it looks great and went together with almo st no problems at all. Some minor adjusting after the assembly and I was nearly ready to rock. I also took some pictures and hope to get them up here tomorrow. However, I need help, ok I need a lot of that, but were just going to narrow it down to the bike for now.

This is my first xp with disc brakes, so pls bear with me...

The front brake cable is fed from the lever through the inside of the front fork to the brake housing I noticed on the ibex website pics that it does appear this is correct, although it appears different models do feed that cable to the outside of the fork. I also dont see any kind of cable management that it may need to slide into. The issue Im having is that the cable in its current position gets stuck on the tread from the tire, and does so with so much so much zeal that it does stop the tire, and Im assuming it could also pull the cable out if I were going at it with any more umph then just pushing it around my basement. Its just an all around bad thing.

So, is there something Im missing with that cable to get it out of the tires way? Im guessing my options are to either remove the cable and feed it on the outside of the fork (easier said then done I think), or to tie wrap in some manner the cable to the fork itself to keep it out of the way.

I know I can call ibex on Monday and I dont doubt for a second that Ill get a good response, but I wanted to run it through on here first and get your thoughts. Thanks!

·
I win.
713 Posts
I got my trophy yesterday and in a little box there was a bag marked Rock Shox accessories or something to that effect. In it was a zip tie, an alcohol pad, a little plastic piece to hold the cable in place, some double sided tape, and a clear 3m protective pad.

To start off you should have your cable going from the outside of the fork. If you have it routed on the inside it'll get caught up in the tire and you really don't want that.
Next you'll want to pick a spot on your fork tube to stick the little plastic piece. I chose a spot towards the top of the lower tube. Then you clean it off with the alcohol wipe and stick the clear patch on there. Then clean off the patch with the wipe and allow the alcohol to evaporate making sure not to touch it with your fingers. Stick one side of the double sided tape to the little plastic tab thingy and then stick that to the clear patch. Then just place your cable in the plastic housing and zip tie that sucker on there. Be sure to clip off any excess plastic from the zip tie and you should be good to go.

That's what i did with mine and everything has been great so far. If any of you guys with more experience needs to correct me on anything please feel free to do so :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thanks popper, I appreciate the gauge. I didnt get the rock shox manf. documentation, just a read me that was attatched to it. However, I can certainly get something like your describing to secure the cable to the fork - I was leaning towards that anyway.

Im going to give Ibex a call before I try to remove that cable and reroute it around the outside of the fork. Im not sure how to do that w/out actually removing the cable and I really dont want to take that off just yet. Thanks again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did just tie wrap the front cable to the inside of the horseshoe, there seemed to be a small channel on it for them and it appears to be holding up well, at least on the 5min

WHOOO HOOO ride through my hilly yard.

I also found a similar channel on the back frame and did the same with the rear brake cable there. I may still call Ibex Monday and make sure Im on the right track, or just wait to see what you all think.

·
I win.
713 Posts
Haha awesome, glad to hear it man.
Would it be at all possible to maybe snap some pictures of how you did it?
It'd probably help some other people out :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
lakeafire said:
For some reason the site wont currently allow uploads directly to the forum page. I just get a "Page not Found" Pics are all to spec and Ive tried different browsers and PC's. Oh well... It did allow me to upload to the phot gallery, here are those shots of the brakes. Ill give it a while and then try again directly.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php/ppuser/307644/cat/500
Lakeafire:

My son's 2007 Alpine 450 has the same problem and we did a temporary fix similar
to what you have done. I have sent an email to Ibex Tech Support to see if there is a more permanent fix to the problem.
Where did you get the fastener that you used for your fix? It looks much better than
what we did; we just used a "twist tie" which has solved the problem for now but I know
there must be a better solution.
cp63

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cable Ties

CP- Ive also used the site Jake suggested and they are certainly a good resource.

I used cable ties that I happen to have on hand from work. You can get those cable ties from the site Jake recommended, or you can also get them from the electrical section in home depot or lowes.

Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.