Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Patrick000 said:
Hey,
Does anyone know where I should go to replace a Polar watch's battery, I don't know if it makes any differnce but the model is "S720i."

thanks

Patrick
I bought a battery on ebay and followed these instructions: http://filtersweep.blogspot.com/2007/03/changing-battery-in-polar-720.html

Otherwise, send it to a Polar service center to maintain your warranty. I replaced it myself without a problem, but I don't swim.

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
This is one of the reasons I went with Sigma Sport for a heart rate monitor. I can get the replacement battery for the watch unit and the chest unit at any better watch repair or jeweler.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Patrick000 said:
Hey,
Does anyone know where I should go to replace a Polar watch's battery, I don't know if it makes any differnce but the model is "S720i."

thanks

Patrick
Patrick,

Polar has two authorized service centers on the West Coast. One is in Washington and the other in LA. The Polar rep I spoke with at a Demo event told me that the shop in Washington was the best bet. The guy is pretty much a one man show I believe (cant remember his name), but he turned around my S725 super fast.
Would recommend giving him a call....(425) 641-7978 for specifics on service pricing and turnaround.
Here's the link to Polar service page if you want to check that out. The address, etc for both the West Coast service centers are listed there
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/service?product=&category=Service+Information

Good luck!

MSH

·
feeling squirrelly
712 Posts
I have replaced mine and have swam with it with no problems but I might have gotten lucky. They do say to return it to them to make sure the seal is intact... and in hind sight my response does nothing to answer your original question.

Happy trails. :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Patrick000 said:
swim? yeah I don"t swim either, unless I fall in creek or something.
I don't try to keep mine dry. It gets sweaty from my wrist or when I wash my bike. If it's not under warranty and you can use a screwdriver, change it yourself to save time and money. It's survived a race season without failure.

The only thing I would do differently is clean the case seam of embedded dirt before opening the case. Mine had caked-in dirt and I was fortunate enough not to drop any into the innards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It'll be fine to change yourself if you're super-careful. I've changed my 625x battery twice and it's been okay - but I've also seen numerous posts where people try to do it themselves and end up getting moisture in and killing the unit.

A few months back I ordered a second 625x from a guy on eBay, but when it arrived I found it was trashed from a previous attempt at battery changing -- screws were stripped, case was distorted, and previous user had filled seams with some sort of goo in an attempt to keep water out.

That being said, I've also had Polar do service, and they are very fast and inexpensive -- so I wouldn't hesitate to send them a unit for battery replacement at all.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Just change it yourself. The concern is the little rubber gasket around the perimeter of the back plate. It is easy to remove and put back on. There really is no concern. It is tough finding a battery locally. I'd just order online as stated above. Piece o cake.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
filtersweep said:
I see rj2 has the right idea.

Stumpy- Do you always do what "they say?" My HRM is way out of warranty--- and works fine-- and I changed it myself a few times. If you follow my link above, you will see how crazy easy it is to change.
No, I just don't like to screw my warranty because I want to be "Mr. Fix It." That's fine and dandy that you like to do it yourself; it's probably cheaper. But I don't...:eek:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've changed my Polar battery multiple times. The price Polar charges for a battery change is a complete rip off. It's such a scam. Almost as bad as paying so much for razor blades.

As has been mentioned in earlier posts:

1. Thoroughly clean your watch before taking it apart.
2. Remove the screws (small, easy to lose)
3. Separate the two halves and carefully remove the gasket from its channel

4. The battery should now be visible. Mine is model CR2354 and can be purchased for under $10.

NOTE: This is an electronic device so be very careful not to discharge any static while touching the interior.

5. While you have the case apart clean out any dust or grit that has collected near and in the channel that the gasket fits within.

6. Clean the gasket with a little bit of water and dish soap. Allow time to dry.

7. Replace the battery (you should see the watch display reset)

8. When the gasket is dry, place it back into the channel on one half of the body.

9. Place the two halves back together. Take care that the gasket seats correctly and you don't pinch it.

10. Insert the screws and begin tightening in a balanced rotation, similar to how you would tighten lugnuts. If you tighten only one at a time you may create a pinch point which can cause a leak. Also, don't over tighten. How tight you ask? Sorry, I do it by feel. Just realize you aren't trying to lock down a disc rotor.

You should now have a happy full of juice Polar.

Now go ride!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi MTBR,

Chris here from Polar USA.. Hope I can clear a few things up for you so you can make a good decision. :thumbsup:

We always recommend having an authorized service center open up the case to replace the battery or do service. The reason why we recommend it is a few different reasons.

-We really can't guarantee that the Jeweler/you won't damage the thing, so obviously if its within the warranty that damage won't be covered. Jewelry stores really don't know a thing about training computers, they are use to repairing mechanical watches.Not small computers , would you take your cell phone or PDA to a jeweler? :madman:

-We actually DO care about you using our product. So if it is damaged, that stinks.... Our goal is to KEEP YOU TRAINING. Which is why we have multiple service centers and a process that takes under a week. We want to make sure you are back to training with a Polar product as FAST as possible. :cool:

-When you send the product in for battery replacement, that is an opportunity for us to test EVERYTHING and replace many parts complimentary to maximize the lifespan of the product. We do NOT make any profit what so ever on a basic service to your unit.. We are not a battery replacement business. We sell Training Computers. Basic service price here in the US is $12.95 which includes new gaskets, new battery,water sealing, new battery contacts, a full cleaning, testing all features including heart rate,speed,cadence,power..etc..If you think $12.95 is a "ripoff" for this type of service I don't know what to tell you..:rolleyes:

-We warranty every single repair for 90 days. You pay for a quality piece of equipment , you owe it to yourself to have quality service done to the equipment. I wouldn't take my new Polar FT80 to the jeweler working out of his truck across the street here, and I wouldn't suggest you to do that either.

All of our new products have user replaceable batteries in both the watch and transmitter.

We are completely available for any questions or concerns and love the opportunity to help you with anything in the Polar world. Drop us a line through our website @ www.polarusa.com

Thanks and Happy Holidays

-Chris @ Polar USA

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for providing more information and speaking for Polar.

Jewelry stores really don't know a thing about training computers, they are use to repairing mechanical watches.Not small computers , would you take your cell phone or PDA to a jeweler? :madman:
I find that a misleading statement. A good jeweler should be able to perform a basic battery replacement on either a mechanical or digital watch. Heck, the Polar HRMs bodies and batteries are very simple as compared to some of the expensive mechanical watches out there. If folks are going to trust a jeweler to open up a $10,000+ Rolex watch why wouldn't they trust that same person to replace the battery on a Polar?

Basic service price here in the US is $12.95 which includes new gaskets, new battery,water sealing, new battery contacts, a full cleaning, testing all features including heart rate,speed,cadence,power..etc..If you think $12.95 is a "ripoff" for this type of service I don't know what to tell you..:rolleyes:
It's been a while since I paid Polar's battery replacement fee, which at that time was around $25 and it took 2 weeks to get my watch back. That I considered a rip-off. Now a price of $12.95 isn't bad. Also, that price is only for the A, M, FS and F series receivers as quoted on the service site. The S, CS, RS and ANX series are $15.95. But don't forget to add in the cost of shipping and insurance. That's going to be another $7+ or so for ground and $25+ for express. The price is realistically $20 to $38 to replace a single battery.

I wouldn't take my new Polar FT80 to the jeweler working out of his truck across the street here, and I wouldn't suggest you to do that either.
That's a very funny comment! Jeesh, who is suggesting using a jeweler "working out of his truck"? I hope you don't think that the MTBR community is a bunch of fools? Whoo boy...

·
pro leisure tour
773 Posts
but wait!

OK, I wasn't going to say this but...........

I always change my own batteries. Working on real tiny things isn't a big deal. Polar F1 should be no problem I thought. Well the F1 has a little metal thingy that surrounds the battery. Not so simple to get past. Bottom line is unit functions fine except for no sound now. Not so bad for button click tones but I can't upload data. D'oh!

Would have been cheaper to send it in.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
sparkyJ said:
OK, I wasn't going to say this but...........

I always change my own batteries. Working on real tiny things isn't a big deal. Polar F1 should be no problem I thought. Well the F1 has a little metal thingy that surrounds the battery. Not so simple to get past. Bottom line is unit functions fine except for no sound now. Not so bad for button click tones but I can't upload data. D'oh!

Would have been cheaper to send it in.
At least you have a prescient signature. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.